KX-KDX hybrid VS. KTM200XC

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KX-KDX hybrid VS. KTM200XC

Post by jc7622 »

How do you think a KX-KDX hybrid properly done and set-up (and with the usual KDX motor mods - pipe, head, carb, etc) would stack up against a KTM200XC for cross country racing, enduros, etc?
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Cost wise, definely. The KTM's have fancy hydralic cluthes and so on and so forth. But the Japanense have the things like linkage and expierence the pumpkins don't have under their belts.

I went to a Gas-Gas dealer near my grandpa's house and it looks like they have the KTM's beat in more ways then one. The dealer explained to me Gas Gas simply bought most of thier tech from the Land of the Rising Sun( :lol: ). Linkage, power valves, and frame just to name what I can remember.

Solution? KX-KDX hybrid. All the engineering and reliability under one seat foam :wink:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

the KTM200 is TINY. Ever riddden one? It feels like a 2/3 scale bik. AWSOME motor though, but I am no pro. I can tell you for casual/fun/recreationall rides, the Hybrid wins.

For pro level racing, your income depends on it the KTM is probably better just due to the motor alone.

Just about everyting else other than the motor is better on the hybrid though. Ergo's especially.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'd take a KX200 hybrid like Art5's and ebecks over a KTM 200 ANYDAY. The new KTM's are nice, but require plenty of $$$. Plus, it's orange. :lol:

You save money with the hybrid. You get an awesome MX chassis with the KDX motor. Wouldn't trade my RM for one though....
art5

Post by art5 »

Ktm makes a remarkable bike, really not a fair comparison, mine actually is a 220, so I have just a little more grunt, and you notice it right out of turns or trying to clear obstacles with a short distance in between, I have raced with a few ktm 200's they are a complete package but pound for pound I would choose the hybrid, in the process of building another as we speak, have ridden both, back to back, as with a few friends and the ktm owner, and he chose mine, but there is a considerable amount of effort put into this bike to make it what it is, But as I said the ktm is a truly great bike out of the crate, you would be lucky to have either, the only thing is the hybrids are harder to come by.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Personally... I would rather pony up for the hybrid.... Take a hot trade in?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
art5

Post by art5 »

There is no denying the kdx motor is a great engine, very well rounded with it in a modern chassis you really get to push it to its potential, The kdx is a great bike designed for an intented target based rider crowd, but its been around so long unchanged there are tons of hop ups for them, the kx chassis included, Shocks the hell out of the guys when I pull up into the 200 class, they just scratch there heads, lol
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

the KTM200 is TINY
Any tinyer than a KX125?

My favorite hybrid to date was the CR250 w/ conv showas.....Cause 125's are too small for me.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yes, the KTM 200 feels really small. Really cramped.

The 03+ KX125 and KX250 have the same chasis except for the engine cradle. Frame is the same size.

The KX125 was taller than the KX250 pres 03 I believe. I have one in a hybrid and it feels larger than the KTM250 but I am 6' and 190 pounds.

I sat on an 02 KX250 and it feels the same as my KX125 hybrid. Actually mine felt taller and I have 250 suspension on it. It is longer(swing arm) but you can not feel length stiinig on it. Shrug.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good info...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project