Why Shouldn't I Do This?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
bryawn

Why Shouldn't I Do This?

Post by bryawn »

In reading this over, it seems like the combination of a KDX engine in KX frame results in a very nice machine. I actually already have the elements in my garage: a 2000 KDX200 and a 99 KX125.

I've done some GPs and cross country races and lots of play rides in the woods on both bikes. My experience is the KX125 handles great but doesn't really have enough power to pass or really keep up with the big four strokes. I have to work really hard to go fast. The KDX with the RB carb and pipe has plenty of oomph, but the chassis and handling suck on beat up, whooped out race courses.

So what I'm thinking is to stick the KDX motor in the KX chassis, which should be pretty easy since I already have all the parts. (And great directions here!). I would then sell the KX motor and the KDX parts in order to make enough cash to buy a KX100 for my daughter (she's 5' 4" and the 125 is too big for her). The idea of a KX125 motor in a KDX frame doesn't seem like a winner, more of a worst-worst scenario.

My question is would I get enough $$ to cover the cost of a KX 100? What am I missing in this scenario? Seems like I would end up with a bike that could easily go handelbar-to-handlebar with the KTM 200s and 300s and probably even make a run at the 450s on the right course - and still be a light, nimble, well-mannered play bike.

Thanks for your input,

Brian
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't know what a KX100 goes for. Compare the parts you will be selling off on eBay and see if they would add up to what you would need for a KX100.

Remember; you can check the completed auctions and see just what things sell for. In any case, go for it. Even if you don't have enough cash to get the KX100 you want, I bet you could get A KX100 and fix it up for the little girl. Get her involved with the finding of the bike and the parts. The time you two spend together on HER bike as a project will be memories for a lifetime. Besides, I'm betting you will save a fortune on family counseling. Offset that cost into the dirt bike costs and you have a real bargain.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bryawn

Post by bryawn »

LOL. Dirt biking beats the heck out of family counseling any day. She's a pretty active kid - already into running track, skiing, and rides an XR100. That's too boring and she want's a faster ride so she go whup up on other girls. A kid with the right DNA.

What I'm mostly worred about is if old KDX stuff like frames and forks really still sell. Perhaps guys taco their bikes often enough to create a steady demand. I'll track a few auctions and see what happens.
art5

Post by art5 »

I sold the old parts off my kdx for 1800.00 but that included another complete front end off of a kx 125 set up for the kdx, the potential is there if the need is there
bryawn

Post by bryawn »

Thanks. $1,500 or so with the KX motor should just about do the trick. I'm 99% sure I'm going ahead with the project. I love how the KX 125 handles. With the stock suspension being a bit soft for my weight (175 pounds) for MX, the KX 125 works well in the woods. All it needs is a stronger, more tractable motor. I think it will be competitive with the KTM200s/KTM450s on anything other than a wide-open GP, and of course, miles ahead of the stock KDX.

My other bike is a YZ250, so I'm thinking I'll ride it on GP courses where there's an MX track involved, and the KX-DX on courses that are more woods oriented.

As has been noted, Kawasaki should have build this bike. Hopefully it will be worth the effort.
art5

Post by art5 »

Take your time doin it, spend alot of time plannin ahead, before you set the mounts, and You might be urprised on wide open fireroads where I can stretch it out I usually pull 250,s and 450's mx bikes, the bike changes drastically with the different frame and suspension, its in your hands to build it the way you want it.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

How does the KX125 fit you (cockpit wise) compared to your YZ250??
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bryawn

Post by bryawn »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:How does the KX125 fit you (cockpit wise) compared to your YZ250??
I'm 5'10" so I don't usually have a problem with fit. The KX125 is a little more compact than the YZ250. At first I wasn't very comfortable on the YZ compared to the 125, but after riding it some more I think I actually like the fit slightly better on the YZ. I've taken both bikes to the track and ridden them back-to-back and felt comfortable on both. It's great being "average" -- almost everything fits fine right from the start.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool, thx! That being said, I don't think a KTM200, or 125 hybrid would ever work for me. Now, KTM250 or a 250-based hybrid would be a different story.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Cool, thx! That being said, I don't think a KTM200, or 125 hybrid would ever work for me. Now, KTM250 or a 250-based hybrid would be a different story.
KTM's are small now, plus it can't beat a KDX mile for mile :prayer:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

You sure? I don't seem to remember seeing Taddy or Knight riding KDXs at the LMS and finishing... In fact, Freddette never finished it either, he was on a KDX too...
art5

Post by art5 »

fredette was on a klx450, No matter how you slice it it was the rider, not the machine, but unquestionably Ktm makes a fine off road bike, Mx now thats a horse of a different color
bryawn

Post by bryawn »

My take is that the KDX 200/220 can be competitive with KTMs and other bikes in the engine department. I've ridden mine alongside a KTM450 on a fireroad and the 450 just barely pulled me and we were doing 65+. The issue with the KDX is with the frame geometry and suspension which hasn't kept up with the times. I could go get a KTM 200/250 and be like everyone else, or do something different, which is why I'm thinking hybrid. I'm also not so sure about the rear suspension design on the KTMs. I think a link set up is better.

From what I've read, Fredette was riding a KDX/KX125 hybrid up until the factory said switch or we'll pull our sponsorship. The way things are going, it's looking more and more like a 4-stroke world. Sooner or later we'll have to stop messing with the dingers and get a big-old thumper. All the innovation, thinking of the new BMW and Husaberg 450 enduros here, is in the 4-stroke realm.
GS

Post by GS »

It'll be a LONG time before I give up on two-smokes! ...... :supz:
bryawn

Post by bryawn »

I'm with you on the two-smokes. I had a CFR450F and hated the damm thing. There was just so much maintenance involved and it felt big and heavy. Oh wait, it was big and heavy. It's frustrating that all the new development and innovation is around 4 strokes. Two-strokes are pretty highly evolved, but there's always room to get better.
GS

Post by GS »

Well.......lets see.....

KX125: a modern lightweight responsive chassis(OK..a tad small for some)

KDX 200/220 engine: Great off-idle thrust...likely the PERFECT eng for that KX125 chassis

A poifect marriage!....Great thrust and a light and highly responsive partner....OOps..bike!

YEEEHaW!!!! :lol:

Now I need a cold shower!