KX/KDX Hybrid - How much better?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KX/KDX Hybrid - How much better?

Post by jc7622 »

I've been thinking about this hybrid thing. I have 03KX forks being shipped for my 05KDX. Once I get them set up I hope it makes an improvement in handling.

I'm wondering how much different the hybrid would be. Assuming that both bikes were set up similarly ergonomically and the KDX had the same USD forks and a similarly set up rear shock, is the KX framed version that much better? Anyone with hands on experience with both set ups care to comment?

JC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KX is setup more "cab forward" design. It makes you sit and or ride in a more aggressive stance.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Lighter and slimmer. More importantly, as Inda stated, more suited to agressive riding with the position it puts you in. When I had my KDX, I thought it was great. After only a month of owning my RM, when I sit on the KDX it fells extremely awkward. It literally feels like you're sitting "in" the bike.

Never felt a KDX with USD's though.
art5

Post by art5 »

had both, depends on what you want, i definitly push the extremes of the motor more on the hybrid, no question on which one handles the best, the hybrid wins hands down. but I love the kdxs
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

After racing the KDX200 both enduro and mx I found the motor was good but the bike couldn't handle the pounding.Being in the vets you don't get the option of the size bike you race against .250 2 bangers and 450 4stokes aren't much fun to race against .A friend was selling his 02 KX125 which I bought after hearing of a 125/200 hybrid .I also have a crf450x which I try to race .I dropped it and ripped the top spiggot out of the radiator.Lucky I had taken the KX125 as a spare.My race buddies laughed at me when I lined up at the start gates.They weren't laughing too much when we hit the first corner.I thought middle of the pack was'nt to bad .The 125 rode well but so under powered ,mainly in the mud.It handled so much better than the KDX.I have just about finished my hybrid.Fuel tank mod and the electrics to do it will be interesting to see how good it goes on the mx track.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Ahh good. Yeah the KDX motor and the KX make a tremendous bike, especialy with the $65 RB head mod.

Mind you it is no CRF450 power wise, but in terms of a balance of weight, handeling and low/mid ange power it makes a really hard to beat combo.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I like the power of the KDX it has such a easy powerband when tuned correct
and does not lack any get up and go.

The KX is a brute power wize but speaking from having a nice KDX motor and bike then, jumping to a KX 250 the suspension and balance of a KX with the Power of the KDX makes me Ponder on why it was never done by the factory.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Suzuki made the RMZ and Yamaha made the WR250, both 2 stroke trail bikes based on th MX bike.

I remember reading about those bikes in shootouts and the result was magazines wondering the same thing.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The euros simply trumped the sales of them...and yami kept the WR alive, but went 4T in '98.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project