contemplating doing a Hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
krazyinski

contemplating doing a Hybrid

Post by krazyinski »

I am picking up a 2003 KX 125 for $400 today with a blown motor. I have been in the market for a new bike and have tested a few,I like the feel of the new bikes but the power delivery and transmission on the KDX is hard to beat. The weight of the 125 is nice.

dont know when I will start but I think the 220 motor will be nice in the 125. The gratification of basically building my own bike should be sweet.

I have 98 KX forks on the KDX that have just been re valved by Pro Action, what is the difference between the 2003 and 98 forks that would make it worth while to have the 2003 forks done or use the 98 forks? besides the triple clamp and size.

any advice will be appreciated.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It's up to you... The '03's are 48mm's I beleive and potentially could be made to work much better than your current forks but of course that will cost you money. You could just sell the 03's and have cash for other stuff or sell the '98's and have some extra $$$ for a revalve.... It's up to you.
GS

Post by GS »

What a blast that bike would be.

Methinks that $400 is a steal, regardless (well..almost) of condition.

My 03 KX125 is a lightweight to fling about....

So....what's there to think about? Just Do It! :supz:
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

Ive got the 48mm kayabas on my 98 kx200 hybrid.They came off a kxf250.I used 02 tag clamps for a kx250.I have done nothing to them apart from undo the adjuster wright the way out on the compression damping.They are a bit harsh on the last half of travel but work well.recently I have been reading up on the DRN suspension forum and loads of advise is found their.Instead of revalving my 48s ive made my own sub tank set up,I have not ridden with it yet but the front does feel less harsh already just pushing up and down.I have made it adjustable so i can shut them off.Best thing is they have cost next to nothing to make.On the rear I have a pre 2000 gasgas ec250 ohlins shock.That works very well ,got it off ebag with a damaged bottom mount.Repaired it myself and used it on my 90 kdx before now using it on my hybrid.Why not keep hold of the 98s and try the 48mm kayabas and play around with them.If you dont get them the way you want them send them on and fit the 98s you ve invested in.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I like the bumper style forks over the bladder forks from what I have read. I rode twin chamber Showas and those are nice forks.

I think the 98's had straight rate springs so I'd stick with them. People complained about the 99-01 progressive rate springs but I freaking love them.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Krazynski-
It sure would be nice if you could find a KDX motor, rather than dissasemble the ride you got.
I think I'd look around for one. With $400 in it so far, I'm sure you could find a motor and end up with a fine KX/KDX for less $ than most have spent
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

The main reason for building the Hybrid is the fact that after riding a hand full of new bikes I haven't found a motor I like as much as My KDX with the exception of the 2007 300 XC. Even though some have had there share of issues with FRP porting I have had none. I have my bike the KDX 220 The KX 125 a set of black Excel rims 18"rear and a $2500.00 budget.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I hear you amn. I did it fo rthe smae reason. The new 4 strokes... no thanks.

The KX hybris, done right, worth every bit of effort and money. I replaced every seal and bearing and rebuilt the entire motor. It is a new bike.

I am in it well over $5K. I'd do it again with out thinking twice.
art5

Post by art5 »

You won't be sorry, If you can land a set of twin chamber showas, you won't regret it, the 03 chassis is small, the nice thing about the newer forks is you can retain your stock front brake sysytem, which helps with the headlight mounting if you intend to keep it, take your time it can be done nice