Oversize tank on Kx-Dx conversion?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Oversize tank on Kx-Dx conversion?

Post by magilla »

Has any one with a KX-125/KDX220 conversion bike run an oversize gas tank?
Will it fit with the KDX motor in there? I usually do all-day rides on my KDX and really appreciate the extra mileage my big tank affords me. I'd hat to lose that if I build a hybrid. Thanks.
Michael
00'/01' KX/KDX220R Hybrid
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Although I dont ride as far, I had the same question. How far can you ride with stock kx gas tank?
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

It is a KDX motor so what ever you get on a KDX.

I know a gut who did put a KX IMS tank on a hybrid. Took a bit of work but it fit.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The tank fits the FRAME. Oversized tanks are generally tight even with the original motor. 'Work' I would imagine is necessary just like the rest of the build.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Ebeck or Art,

How far can you ride on KX 2.1 gallon tank. I dont trust my ability to fit an oversize tank. Its seems just getting the kx tank to fit will take some work. Just got an 05 KX 125 off ebay. Not sure if I want to commit to the hybrid project. Thanks, SCP
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
FRYSPEED

Post by FRYSPEED »

I fitted a 13litre acerbis desert tank on my 98 kx125 with my 90kdx motor.Usaul problems fitting it so used a heat gun to mould tank around coolant thermostat housing same as you would with a standard kx tank. As for range I only race with it but can do 3hrs as hard asI can ride at the higher end of sportsman level and have at least 3litres left. :blink:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I get the same mileage you'd get in a KDX with 2 gallons of gas. It depends on the riding but figure 45 miles or so.

Get a heat gun and just shape the tank to clear the cylinder head. It is super easy, no real skills needed.

Seriously, I plan on doing the Clarke KX tank.
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Thanks for the replies.
It looks like I've made a deal for a 2000 KX125 and should be picking it up this weekend.
Best part, it has a plate!
I plan on stripping it down completely, replacing all bearings and seals, and making the needed mods to fit my KDX220 motor. Likely will send out the carb and head to RB for the final mods to the motor while I'm doing the rest of the work.
I'll certainly try and get my hands on an oversize tank as well.
I don't know how speedy my progress will be, but I'm really looking forward to the project and will be sure to post about it here.

Cheers!
Michael
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Got one for mine Ebay 114.00 bucks for a new IMS. also Got an applied top triple clamp for 39.00. any body need an 2003 KX plastic,fuel, tank wheels or forks let me know.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Hmm, I am doing a sister bike. Hit me with a price for the forks, I am working on another unrelated (non bike) project right now but the forks are worth looking into. :grin:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

$300.00 Includes forks,fork guards, triple clamp,brake with a new stainless line ,complete front wheel,spacers, axle NO axle nut. I can take high res pictures and email them if you like.

My suspension guy said there would be not enough noticeable difference to justify spending the money on re valving the 03 forks. For woods riding the 98's will work fine.

I got the IMS tank today and in comparison to the OEM it has more flexibility for fit and a little more room directly over the cylinder head.

man what I would do for a extra bike to ride so I can get started on this project.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I agree with him. The 98 were plenty good especially for non MX riding. making the 03 like the 98 is kind of goofy.

email me if you have any questions. I an get you my phone number in case you need it and I can get you machine shop services to do it right.

Hmm, I bet I still have templates of the motor mounts....
art5

hybrid 220

Post by art5 »

not sure about the other hybrid owners but the fuel range dropped considerably, Maybe 30 miles on a tank, Got clark working on some photos and deminsions for me, my motor is stock except for the shotry pro circuit silencer and the platinum 2 pipe, and an 94 kdx 200 25mm carb, I run stock gearng so I can only figure the chassis allows me to push the engine harder, Its fast by any standards in the 200 class,Got to get this big tank designed in
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

art5,

Keep us informed if you come up with something working with Clark.
I can modify a tank if needed, but if they can produce one that fits, then all the better.

Cheers!
Michael
Mmm... Dirt...
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I am certian art5's gas mileage drop is due to more aggressive riding that the KX fosters. What will drop mileage is more throttle twist. :grin:
art5

Post by art5 »

art5

Post by art5 »

art5

Post by art5 »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/ ... ble002.jpg tight and alot of work with a heat gun but it will work
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Hey art5, what kickstarter did you use?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
art5

Post by art5 »

01 bottom half and 03 top half