Registering a kx/kdx hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Registering a kx/kdx hybrid

Post by magilla »

A question for those of you who've built a kx/kdx hybrid. How did you go about registering the creation?
Is it registered as a KX?
Any problems with frame and engine #s not matching? Did you take advantage of a "special construction" allowance?
Also, anyone in California pull this off with minimal hassles?

I'm seriously considering doing the swap, but I'd hate to run into reg. hassles that keep me from enjoying my woods bike.

Thanks!
Michael
00'/01' KX/KDX220R Hybrid
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've also been thinking about going down this route as well. In CA i'd just stick with a 2002 or older frame then your green sticker no matter what and there should be no hassle. You'd have to register it as the KX Vin though. Or do the special construction bit, but I don't know how well that would work. Another option would possibly be welding/grinding smooth the vin on the KX frame and restamping the KDX vin into if possible.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Why register? Do they have to get registered to get your stickers? Here in IN they don't match numbers up just pay your fee and if you get stopped by DNR anywhere they will take the number down in case you screw up then the fines come or in case it is a stolen bike.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Yes, we do have to register with DMV to get our sticker in CA.
I figured I'd go with an 01' or 02' chassis and be good as far as green vs. red sticker. Just wondered if the mismatched engine/frame #s caused a problem for anyone.

"Another option would possibly be welding/grinding smooth the vin on the KX frame and restamping the KDX vin into if possible."

That's a BIG no-no in CA. Possible results could include having the bike impounded or just not being able to register it.

Ideally I'd love to get a dual reg. on the thing so I can connect trails and use forest service roads. I'll keep dreaming on that one...
:roll:
Michael
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Radonc73,
do you work in radiation oncology?
Michael
Mmm... Dirt...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

California registers by the year and model of the frame. They don't seem to care about the motor. So your bike will be registered based on the KX model frame and it's year of manufacture.

My buddy took a 2005 KX500 motor and put in a 2002 frame in order to green sticker the bike. The frame is the same since 1998 I think. That's where I learned my info from; my buddy's experience.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Yes, I am a Radiation therapist. I save on the electric bill that way. :mrgreen: I work at a hospital around Chicago. And you?
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The frame is the same since 1998
For the 500 isn't that the same since 1989?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are right. I got my mords wixed. I guess I sounded like a terd of hurtles.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Reegistration is based on Frame VIN. Frame and engines do not have matching part numbers or Vin Numbers.

If you use a KX frame it is registered as a KX, that is what it is titled as.
Last edited by ebeck on 04:48 pm Aug 06 2007, edited 2 times in total.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:You are right. I got my mords wixed. I guess I sounded like a terd of hurtles.
Also there was no 2005 KX500 :mrgreen:
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Thanks for all the input.

RadOnc, I'm also an RTT and just passed my CMD. I've been a full time Dosimetrist for the past three years. Work at a clinic in Santa Rosa, CA.
Michael
Mmm... Dirt...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Cool. It is nice to see some class on this board :lol: :lol: I thought about Dosimetry but right now I have a kid on the way so unless I could cross-train where I am at I will stay an RTT.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

I don't know about class. I'm still a scummy biker at heart. :wink:
You've got to really want to be a Dosimetrist. The training is tough enough, but prepping for the exam is a whole 'nother ball game.
Cheers! :partyman:
Michael
Mmm... Dirt...
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have heard that, what is it like a 40% first time fail rate? Where is Santa Rosa? I live outside of Barstow for a few unfortunate years in '94 and '95. While in the Army. Wow we really hijacked this thread. :lol: :lol:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Aargh!!! Thread hijack indeed!

I think that the pass rate is around 35-40%.

Santa Rosa is an hour North of San Francisco.
Where in Indiana are you at?
I was in S. Bend for a board prep course in April.
I hear there are several good centers there.

On a bike note,
I'm still searching for a good frame with a title.
I figure it'll be easier to find on already registered in CA. So I don't have to deal with transfer from another state, vehicle inspection, etc...

Or I may just put my KX forks on the KDX and be done with it. :mrgreen:
Michael
Mmm... Dirt...
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

It is pretty easy to convert.
art5

Post by art5 »

Just wanna ride don't want to convert,
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote: Another option would possibly be welding/grinding smooth the vin on the KX frame and restamping the KDX vin into if possible.
Even in backward states like Montana and Idaho your bike is taken away from you since it is presumed stolen if manufacture's vin is alterated in anyway.

Hard to get out of police impounded vehicle yards from what I've heard. Heard a story of a person who's bike was impounded because his powder coating filled in the VIN numbers - took a lawyer six months to get permission and access to the bike to allow a witnessed scrapping off of the powder coating to reveil the VIN. Bike had been stored outside in the impound area and was weathered and missing parts.

Another story I heard was the owner of a bike (which had been stolen from him and recovered by police) had to rebuy his bike during an auction of police impounded vehicles because the bike had never been registered. He was the second owner and the manufacture's certificate of origin was given to the first owner but not passed onto the second owner with the bill of sale. (Original owner had moved)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine