pre 95 kdx

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
luke347

pre 95 kdx

Post by luke347 »

Can i do this with my 94 kdx? Becuase if get a different bike i doubt it would be worth selling the bike and think it would be more worth while to put the engine in the kx chasis
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yep, should work out fine. The head stay is the only issue and thats been documented in ebeck's walkthru.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yeah I agre. Especially since you can sell your parts.

Your KDX uses a rear head stay. Pick a frame that used a rear head stay. That or use a 96+ head.(not 100% sure it is copatible. Check into it) The 96+ KDX used front and rear head stay. Just cut off the one you do not need.

Read part 1. It is cheaper than you thnk. The only hard part is to commit.

Good luck!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

After researching it a bit ebeck I don't think the H series head will interchange onto the E series cylinder. The kawi head gaskets are different part numbers. I'm going to look into it a bit more and see what I can find.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
art5

Post by art5 »

you can use any year kdx motor, the headstay is not a factor building front or rear mounts is fairly easy, its all in what you can imagine, little research goes along way
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

eyah you know, now that you mention it, I believe th 03+ models had front stay mounts on the frame, they were just not used. Making front mount brackets may actually be easier than modifying the rear.

Art5, you should be able to remove the rear head stay and make brackets for the front right? I assumed you used the rear becasue it was advantagous in some manner? Would it have been easier to make front head stays and remove the rear looking back? If you did it again would you use front or rear?

Or heck why not both like the KDX?