KX-DX cookbook part 6

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ebeck

KX-DX cookbook part 6

Post by ebeck »

Mounting the Pipe:
Ok the KDX pipe works. Have a shop cut off the head tube and weld in a section. Sorry it is dirty, I was riding and it is tough to get in there and I am out of carb cleaner. Aside from that a small impresion or dent needs to be made to clear the radiators. A hammer can do it very easily so be carfull. Do not allow the rdaiator and pipe to touch. I left 1/8 clearance between them to prevent too much heat transfer.

The use the original top pipe mount for the bottom and add a shim since the frame mount and pipe hanger have a gap. The picture is taken from the bottom looking up. Notice I reamed the hole to allow for play. Sorry, dirty.

Then for the top mount bracket, use the original bottom pipe mount (which has one tab only) and add on your own tab and secure it with a nut. In this manner you can have the length you need. Image

Silencer:
The KX250 silencer should be used as the inside diameter is the same s the KDX. If you use the 125 silencer you risk high head temperatures due to restriction. Unfortunately the silencer will have to b modified in the bend to fit. Pretty minor mod all things considered.

Wiring:
Use your KDX wiring harness. Since the KX has no air box top, I mounted the coin inside the air box and drilled a hole in the side and bolted it in place. The number plate covers it quite easily. You’ll see what I mean. I mounted the coil up between the radiators where the KX wants it. You will have to use a small metal strip or two to make it work but just a drill and a hack saw will work. It will make sense when you see it.