KX-DX cookbook part 4

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ebeck

KX-DX cookbook part 4

Post by ebeck »

Motor mounts:
One that is done, mount the engine and swing arm and lower the motor as low as it will go without touching the frame. Hook up the stock KX head stays (they fit!) and tighten it all down. Now the motor is suspended between the head stays and the rear motor mount. The bottom 2 mounts need to be made. Here is what it the rear motor mount/swing arm looks like all cut and mounted.

The motor suspended with no bottom mounts.

The stock KX head stay will line up with the motor. First you will have to cut off the rear head stay if you have a 00-02 frame. I used the grinder and then the Dremmel it for finer work. Emory cloth cleans up the grooves same with the frame.

Then make new mount templates front and rear out of Manila paper.

New mounts cut

You can get the metal at a scrap metal yard. Every big City has one. If not use the Internet. I believe the metal was almost 4mm thick. What you do is drill a hole and slide it through the motor and then test fit and trim as needed.

Once the front and rear is done bring it to a welder with the motor, or weld it yourself. It is pretty hard so unless you are a professional welder, I’d have a pro do it.

The put it together for a test fit. The swing arm will come really close the engine cases. No worries. Close is not the same is touching. Look at the KDX, it is super close as well. It is less than a credit card space between the swing arm and the engine cases.

Then have it sand blasted and painted after the air box fitment, or in my case powder coated. I actually had it powder coated it silver metal flake very close to what they did in 03, and had them clear coat over it. It costs $150-$200. Why diddle with DIY paint jobs for that. Here it is sand blasted before powder coat. I blocked off the head tube with fender washers and a lag bolt to prevent bearing race damage. My shop plugs the thread with some Polly goo and then pulls it out so no tapping needed once powder coated.