KX-DX cookbook part 2

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ebeck

KX-DX cookbook part 2

Post by ebeck »

Frame:
The 99-02 has a lot of same part but the frame was different. The 00-02 bikes had a bit better ergonomics and were a bit more open so I opted for an 01. The 00-02 frame is identical. The difference is that in 02 the tanks and seat did change so the ergonomics were a bit better. I used an 01 frame and 02 tank, seat and side panels. Shrouds and fenders are all the same 99-02. Tank is a bit different but generally 99-02 tanks are all interchangeable. The sub frame can be used from 99-02 as well.

Source a frame and the first thing you’ll notice a few things. Some have weird tabs that others do not have, strange but true. Cut them off if you wish. There are a few on the frame. Here is the POS I startd with. Powder coated some weird ass Green. Oh, do not buy a powder coatd frame. It costs to strip it ad many shops torch it to get it off and the frame glows red in some spots. It substantially weakens it at those temps. If you have to pay extra to have it sand blasted only.

In this picture, there is an extra bracket above the bottom pipe hangar too. In fact that needs to be cut off to clear the pipe.

Another thing you’ll notice is the is the front mounts do not fit. Go ahead and cut off the front ones. Image
You can sand it later with Emory cloth. I bought a Grinder at Home Depot with a cutting wheel for $50 to do the job. With the back ones something is to note before you cut them off. The 99 frame was different than the 00-02 frame. The 00-02 frame had double wall rear mounts and thy were smaller and will not line up as shown below. If you use a 99 frame you’re good to go, the motor should mount to the rear mounts so leave em, else cut them off and grind it smooth too, you’ll need new ones. Image

At this point you will have a frame with front mounts cut off and possibly the rear mounts cut off. Possible some odd brackets cut off as well.