Just another thought as long as you are swapping.....

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I aint rattlin sheeit

If ya can't post without a whole sheeit load of jumbled up crap why bother :rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Oh yeah, I see that. I bet he's a total blast to hang out with though.

Still, grammar lessons would not be bad. :wink:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I will put together a big post from the perspective of owning a KDX and wnting to do a swap. Is there a size limit or picture limit per post?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

halfta go to skool fer that, I din't lyke skool much, I wer always outbak smokin dat wacky-weed :rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:I will put together a big post from the perspective of owning a KDX and wnting to do a swap. Is there a size limit or picture limit per post?
shee-it I guess the HIJACK is over eh? :sad:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Where are the pics hosted? No limit per se....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

On Imageshack. Some sites give a pacture limit. I a guessing 20 or so pics and a page or maybe 2.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Best to break them up... some folks don't have broadband... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I'll author it in text, give it to you and you can organize it and sticky it. Will that work?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can do a Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 etc... all being separate posts.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

This is really cool, I've been considering using my 93 motor for a swap. I've been poking around looking for a rolling kx chasis with a blown motor.
I've heard of some other guys swaping a KDX motor into a CR frame saying that it was even easier than the KX swap. Don't know if that's true.
Keep it coming this is gonna be great!!! :supz:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

In some ways yes it is true, but it depensa on the year CR. Pick the wrong year CR and the swingarmm will not clear the engine cases. The 02 CR250 works well, or so he said. I kow a guy who did it. I think that was the year.

Anyhow The posts are out thre now. I hope they get stickied as they are in a row.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Ebeck, this is awesome stuff. It's generous to share the pictures alone, now we have all the details . . .

Thanks a mil !!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll second that Ebeck, great walkthru!!!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yes, Thanks a bunch! I don't think I will actually do this swap, but If i wanted to, I could!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yeah no problem guys, I hope more do it. No sense in keeping the information to myself. It is pretty easy and I can offer help when needed.

Now someone else do the swap! :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Most of you guys already have the forks, right? And Shocks aren't expensive, I've seen nice 125/250 shocks go for >$100 all day.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yep, check out Part 1. I talk about that. it is actually econimical to do. Down time can be bad, but do it in the summer be up fior the fall/winter riding season.

As far as cost goes, read Part 1.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've got a spare KDX and a KX125 and am really tempted to do this job. What is there to loose?

Why not keep the KDX swingarm with the KDX motor in the KX frame? It looks like the outside width is the same from KX to KDX.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yes, it is you are right about that. Good observation. In terms of keeping the swing arm, the swing arm pin in the frame would then need to be shimmed. The KDX has 15mm vs KX 17mm swingarm pin. Additionally, the KDX swingarm may be shorter and the linkage mount points and geometry are likley different as well. If you are not carfull you can wind up with bound linkage or things along those lines.

The KX swibngarm is quite cheap, (used) and in general is is best to keep that. The bike will perform and handle like it is a factory bike. It is quite easy to bild a bilke that performs poorly. A bike is more than just parts together. They work as a system.

The posts seem long but that is becasue I covered alot of detail. Really it is quite simple. Knowing what I know now I could knock it out pronto. Since I documented it you should be able to do it as well. If you stray from what I did you could run into gotchas. what I did took alot of trial and error.

Just my thought on that. I'd stick with the KX swingarm.