Just another thought as long as you are swapping.....

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ebeck

Just another thought as long as you are swapping.....

Post by ebeck »

Rather than put KX parts on a KDX I put a KDX in a KX. I know is not exactly the topic here but this may be another place to ensure members get the information since if you are here, swaps are on the brain. The swap is pretty easy and honesly the motor is the most expensive part. Since you have that and you have to buy forks anyhow all that is left is needing in trmms of major components a frame and swing arm and both can be had for < $200 shipped. then find a rear wheel and braks. I paid $10 for the front brake and $25 for the rear and $200 for an 18" Talon hub Excel Rim rear wheel.

A KXDX Hybrid forum would be nice to encourage swaps, but this is as close as it gets. I suspect if one existed more may attempt this swap.

here are the major steps
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4171
here is the Result
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4389

Good luck with which ever swap! :grin:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

ebeck, we should get art5 form TT over here, he's done the swap woth a 220, right?
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yep, that is right. I really thing this site should have a KX-DX forum. We can out out specicif detailed steps for a swap. Make it painfree and guess free. The bikes are really too much for words so it is poitless for me to go on and on about how good they are. Trust me, it is worth it.

An 01 frame just sold on ebay for $45. Great shape with title. Parts are getting cheap for 99-02 making swaps affordable if you bide your timee.

I am seeing 99-02 bikes parting weekly now and prices are going down for parts.

:supz:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've really been thinking about going this route. My 89 motor is good but the rest of the bike (minus the kx forks) is getting a little long in the tooth. I was starting to do some research and see if my rear wheel could be adapted to the kx swingarm/axle/brake combo without too much work. If it could all i'd need would be the frame, swing arm, shock and some plastic.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

That old I am not sure. There is a 95 bike being parted as we speak on ebay. The swingarm cna be had for < $20. Get it, try it and if not re-sell it. :grin:

What year KX would you look at. I like the 03+ but the 99-02 is super seay to fid parts for. The 95-98 is cheaper yet.

The best part is you cna mix and match. I used a 125 frame (which they all should) but I used KX250 suspension to better match my weight.

Oh the 99-02 used a front head stay which you do not have. You would need a 95+ head. But, the 2003 used the rear head stay which you do have! Guess what, a 03 is being parted as we speak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-KX2 ... otohosting

Buying a wheel costs about $200 and you can sell your for slightly less. Just commit, and go for it!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ideally i'd be looking at a 99-02 because of the whole california green sticker bit, but a 03+ could be on the table if it would make the swap easier.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Nah just buy a new head. Used on Ebay is $150 then sell yours.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

New forum is available now.... Discuss.... I will lurk. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Inda, why don't you move this post into that forum and i'll dig up a list of posts to move over as well that deal with doing a whole kx bike conversion.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Ok my wfe and kids are out of town so I can put together detailed steps on doing a 99-02 conversion over the next feew days. Complete with step pics never before posted.

Really, this is easy, just follow the exact steps. I'll even include shops to send parts to for machine work.

Man what I would have given for my knowlege on this when I needed it. I only hope others do it. New pics for you guys tonight!

:grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Excellent! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

ebeck, I hope you can ride better than he can TYPE! :roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:ebeck, I hope you can ride better than he can TYPE! :roll:
Ride better than I can type? I don't follow.

For the record I type bad, spell bad and never spell check. My Grammer is bad too but my Grandper is ok.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Don't follow?

try reading your friggen post's :evil:

I can type better when I'm :partyman:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Waht deos it mttaer as lnog as it can stlil be raed, tihs ins't a spelilng bee ?? :razz: :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Don't follow?

try reading your friggen post's :evil:

I can type better when I'm :partyman:
Maybe it's just cuz big monkeys can't comprehend ebeck's posts! :mrgreen:

One thing's for sure, Wibby better not try to make a hybrid, he'll misread sumthin and screw it up!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:Waht deos it mttaer as lnog as it can stlil be raed, tihs ins't a spelilng bee ?? :razz: :wink:

It aint about the fawkin spelling, it's just irritating trying to read the crap :?

Reminds me when I lived in the South. I could not understand a friggen thing. Everyone's too lazy too open their mouth when they talk, so it all comes out as a southern drawl mumble. Sound like they are talkin out their :butthead:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

ebeck, I hope you can ride better than he can TYPE!
Someone needs a grammer lesson.

Aaaaaaand that would a no. I ride horrible too. Anything else? I wish to stipulate now that my postss have spelling issues. I suggest you ignore my posts.

The world is full of haters.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Reminds me when I lived in the South. I could not understand a friggen thing. Everyone's too lazy too open their mouth when they talk, so it all comes out as a southern drawl mumble. Sound like they are talkin out their :butthead:
Ya got tha rite :supz:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't let Wibs rattle ya... that's what he's trying to do... Just read his Sig...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****