Just another thought as long as you are swapping.....

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've been mulling the idea of a second bike - a track bike . . .

I love my 220 and take it on the tracks often when riding with my son, but the handling's not quite at home there. Not knockin' it for being that way, that's not what it's for (YZ forks or not) . . .

I don't care much for the 125s - they're cool - great high RPM power - but they're gutless at low RPMs (the ones I've ridden anyway). A 250 is more what would suit my tastes but I'm the sole breadwinner in my family and can't afford to be peeled off of some tree next to the track . . .

I'm wondering how a 144cc bike would suit me . . .

or maybe a hybrid is an answer! I'm trying to imagine a mile-wide powerband compliments of a well-modified 220 engine stashed in an mx frame. :grin:

Ebeck - any details on how it behaves on a track?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Oh, and don't forget I stuck on KX250 suspension. As far as behavior is is just llike a KX125 but suspended for my weight (190 pounds). Yeah, the power down low is awsome. Superb for the Trails, and the ergonomics ar GREAT. I assume when I get ot the track it will be a torquey, easy to ride 125. :grin:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Anothre guy names art5 on anothr foru begining with T was inspired to do it as well. He did a 220 swap. He actually races. He basicly says the same thing, it is the most fun to ride. He has reportss from the track. Check it out.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You can say it. ebeck and at least 2 other guys are over on ThumperTalk, they've done the swaps. Probably not a bad ride, handling of an MX bike with our nice trail motor.

The short wheelbase makes the KDX great to take corners, it turns on a dime. Pulls alongside 250 4's and 125's on the straights too. I'm still thinking of getting a stiffer shcok spring, some real Nice USD forks and getting the RB goodies for that extra bit of power, i'm sure i would be content on a track if I'm having a good time now.

Again, this Hybrid idea seems like an awesome idea. Proble is, I'm scared :shock: Plus I need money :cry:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I have ridden KDX's and I have ridden this. There is a reason the new "Trail" bikes like the CRF250X have MX geometry. It works better for a majority of the riding. The KX handling is legendary btw. It far far from drags it's tail around corners. it carves like a scalpel. At 190 pounds it is super easy to flick.

The biggest difference I notice is the stability though. WOT in 4th standing and hitting 1 foot moguls is no biggie. Might as well be flat. No kidding. The shorter wheel base bikes tend to be squirly at speed when it gets rough. My CRF230 was not safe doing that and it had Cr250 forks and a Works shock. The KDX is longer though so it is not as bad.

Riding position is superior too and visibility out the front is improved. It is wider though and that is a down side for some. Not a little wider, ALOT wider. The suspension upgrade is big step up, yeah. Inverted forks would really make that a good bike. Bar risers and 1/4 forward offset opens up the cockpit and makes it more roomy. Those 2 alone are worth the effort for sure. That is likely more than enough for most anyhow. No question.

The motor is really where the magic is. Let's be honest, the KDX is dated it feels dated the cockpit is cramped. The motor though, man that thing is incredible.

A full swap matches the rest of the bike up to the GREAT motor. But it is more work. I figured if I can not buy what I want then why not make it? Heck, magazines have done it, Fredette used to sell them, they all say the same thing. "Kawasaki should have made them!". In the end that is what made me try it. An MX bike with a trail motor with suspension for my weight and ground clearance too boot weighing in at less than 200 pounds. Wow. Now that I did it I see what they go on and on about. It is that good. It is however not for everybody.

Use a machine shop. It is pretty easy if you do not have to do the welding and drilling. :grin:

True, some may opt for a new 4 stroke bike instead. That is a great option as well. Just not the only option is why this is here.

thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Oh yeah! I get to be the first person on this forum too to see this bike in person. Sunday is going to be awesome! :supz:

Ebeck, I just noticed the numbers, are you racing? If so, what series are you in? You had better say AMRA...
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Nah My boys are 6 and 7 ears old. The front plate says C&C racing for Curtis and Colin Racing. They wanted yo be part of the build up and that was thier contribution. The Older boy has a KX65.
art5

Post by art5 »

Ok I am going to chime in now, I have the 220 hybrid in the 03 chassis, running 06 showa suspension, pro circuit platinum 2 pipe and kx 250 shorty silencer with a 94 200 35mm carb monster offroad graphics, 20in front wheel and 18 inch rear wheel using buchannon heavyduty stainless spokes and nipples, renthal fat bars with boysen flex grip and pivotpegz, 250 kx kickstarter, msr 500 shifter, running the factory headlight {that works still with the factory switch} the chassis in 99 through 02 works well as ebeck has kept me informed, my reasoning for the 03 was personal preference, very small and nimble you don't hang your boots on your sidepanels, the late model plastic as well as suspension upgrades, {which I decided to go even newer on, the tank installs with no mods, as well as the pipe, sending ebeck some specs on that one to see if the stocker is different than the pro circuit, I race motocross as wel as play in the woods, retired from harescrambles a while back, but still roust up a few friends for a little trail time, the bike handles both really well, and I am a die hard kdx fan, But need to say this if kawi would have built this thing they may have had a supply problem, absolutely a blast, and this is comming from someone who owns a kx250f and a kx450f also, ebeck has a sharp bike, with alot more detailed drawings for it, I built mine from the ground up, with none can pretty much tell you anything you want to know on the 03 and up but ebeck has the coverage on the other end of the spectrum, :mrgreen:
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Yeah the 03's are showing up on ebay more regularly now. I like alot about the 03 including the narrower width and improved chasis.

I think the pipe fits alot better as well. That is a biggie.

I just got a 220 cylinder and jug. I plan on doing the big carb and 220 motor like art5 did. Apparently from what I read the powerband is "twice as wide". Now I doubt that bit it is a big enough difference that is is described in that way.

I am digging art5's bike, that is for sure.