Downsides of a 450AF hybrid?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
mcbeth.059

Downsides of a 450AF hybrid?

Post by mcbeth.059 »

I came across a decent deal on a 2007 RMZ450 and am thinking about using it for a hybrid build. But I've yet to see anyone build using an aluminum 450 frame.

Would the frame be to big for the 220? Or does anyone have any feedback about the chassis? Everything I've read about the RMZ450 is engine related.

I can weld aluminum, so any welding or fabrication work will be done by me.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Downsides of a 450AF hybrid?

Post by Slick_Nick »

That was Suzuki's first attempt at an aluminum framed motocross machine. I always found them super bulky.

You don't see many people using them for hybrids because generally the idea is to stuff a LARGER engine into a SMALLER frame, such as a KX125 frame. By putting an underpowered engine into a big, hefty 450 chassis, you're going the wrong direction.
'00 KDX 220R
mcbeth.059

Post by mcbeth.059 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 08:07 am Jul 29 2021 That was Suzuki's first attempt at an aluminum framed motocross machine. I always found them super bulky.

You don't see many people using them for hybrids because generally the idea is to stuff a LARGER engine into a SMALLER frame, such as a KX125 frame. By putting an underpowered engine into a big, hefty 450 chassis, you're going the wrong direction.
That's what I thought, but having never been on a 450F I didn't know how significant the frames differences were.

I'm just having a hard time finding the right chassis for the project, Covid & bike availability in Ontario means that I'm having to spend over $2000 to buy any sort of decent machine.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The frame would be a fine fit for a 220 engine, the big problem is the frame cradle. On the 2T motor the exhaust exits the cylinder right between the downtubes. On a 4T the exhaust exits out the side. You'll notice that the single down tube on the 450F frame extends farther down than on the 2T frame. You would need to cut out the downtube further up and fab new engine cradle pieces. Not impossible, just a lot more work than most hybrid builders want to put in. There are a couple folks who have done AF builds KX-F RM-Z ANother RM-Z