94 kdx200 98 kx125 hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Msalah8584

94 kdx200 98 kx125 hybrid

Post by Msalah8584 »

Hey guys I’m new to this forum and I have no clue how this works but so I’m sorry if I posted this im the wrong spot or in the wrong way. So I have a 1994 kdx200 that is my only bike and ride it consistently in great shape motor runs great I just came into a 1998 kx125 frame with only the frame itself the seat tank rear shock but no linkage no rear swing arm or wheel but does have the front set up forks wheel brakes bars and most of the plastics and stuff. Is there anything I can use off my kdx to swap onto the ox such as swing arm linkage rear wheel or should I just buy that stuff on eBay for a kx also can anyone give me any tips as to what will be needed for mods and fab for these years for motor mounting or swing arm fitment if I go with a kx swing arm how much needs to be shaved off ect. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks guys
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 94 kdx200 98 kx125 hybrid

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Good luck on the hybrid build.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The Hybrid forums have all the info youre looking for, just do a little searching through them. SHort answer is your linkage will not work on the KX, or the swingarm (different size pivot bolts), you can use the rear wheel as long as you use the KX spacers. The brakes will swap over as well. Lots of good info in the Hybrids section.
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

Thank you and I honestly thought this was the hybrid section lol I’ll figure it out
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

This was indeed posted in the hybrid subforum.
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

Ok cool thanks I’m still trying to figure this out never been apart of a forum before I do have a couple more questions I have been reading a lot of the different posts and I can’t quite pin point my year range kdx and kx what year swing arm will for the 98 kx like from what year to what year and I’m assuming the linkage will have to be with that year range as well and what would be my best bet for air box and boot fitment I am pretty mechanically inclined can do all the work including the welding however don’t have a ton of free time so was hoping with all the builds out there I could get some of the guess work out of the way by asking a few questions and hoping a few ppl could give me a little guidance bufftester thank you your answer helped a bunch atleast i know where to start knowing those parts from my kdx won’t work and if I’m correct I think my rear motor mount needs to be drill from a 15mm to a 17mm my rear head stays on the kx frame may work as is and fronts will need to be cut off and re fabbed and I know when I get the right swing arm that needs to be shaved I think I know what to do based off the few things I found on here in other posts other then that I think I’m good I just want to go into this with as much knowledge as possible with how many ppl have done it already any tips tricks measurements or any helpful info greatly appreciated thanks a lot guys !
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Msalah8584 wrote: 08:52 pm Jul 09 2019 Ok cool thanks I’m still trying to figure this out never been apart of a forum before I do have a couple more questions I have been reading a lot of the different posts and I can’t quite pin point my year range kdx and kx what year swing arm will for the 98 kx like from what year to what year and I’m assuming the linkage will have to be with that year range as well and what would be my best bet for air box and boot fitment I am pretty mechanically inclined can do all the work including the welding however don’t have a ton of free time so was hoping with all the builds out there I could get some of the guess work out of the way by asking a few questions and hoping a few ppl could give me a little guidance bufftester thank you your answer helped a bunch atleast i know where to start knowing those parts from my kdx won’t work and if I’m correct I think my rear motor mount needs to be drill from a 15mm to a 17mm my rear head stays on the kx frame may work as is and fronts will need to be cut off and re fabbed and I know when I get the right swing arm that needs to be shaved I think I know what to do based off the few things I found on here in other posts other then that I think I’m good I just want to go into this with as much knowledge as possible with how many ppl have done it already any tips tricks measurements or any helpful info greatly appreciated thanks a lot guys !
I'd much prefer if you used punctuation, not trying to be mean or anything.

So, you can use a resource like partzilla to find part numbers that may fit your frame. For example, 33001-1525-TX is the swing arm part number for your 98 kx125 frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-1998-KX1 ... SwPrZalwIL

Here's one for sale on ebay.

That part number might apply to other years, and sometimes the part numbers change between years even though the part didn't change. Hope this helps.
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The hardest part of the Hybrid route is sourcing the right parts. :sad:

Your motor is from a E-model bike, so engine/exhaust/intake parts from 89-94 all fit for example. For the KX chassis its a K-series bike so parts from 94-98 KX125 will work, along with parts from same year KX250, and a lot of parts from later KXFs will also work. If you run the part number through the search bar on Motosport.com, or Partszilla, or RockyMtn etc it will list all the compatible years and models.

Building a hybrid involves lots of searching, and Ebay will be your best source for older model parts. When I did my hybrid I kept a spreadsheet of all the parts, years, models, sources, prices, etc as a cross reference. It will help during your build, and after when you need to find a replacement part.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 10:11 pm Jul 09 2019 The hardest part of the Hybrid route is sourcing the right parts. :sad:

Your motor is from a E-model bike, so engine/exhaust/intake parts from 89-94 all fit for example. For the KX chassis its a K-series bike so parts from 94-98 KX125 will work, along with parts from same year KX250, and a lot of parts from later KXFs will also work. If you run the part number through the search bar on Motosport.com, or Partszilla, or RockyMtn etc it will list all the compatible years and models.

Building a hybrid involves lots of searching, and Ebay will be your best source for older model parts. When I did my hybrid I kept a spreadsheet of all the parts, years, models, sources, prices, etc as a cross reference. It will help during your build, and after when you need to find a replacement part.
Yes, and probably some fabrication, too. That's always the stuff to be proud of.

I used this link to find a lot of compatible KDX parts from time to time:

http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKDX200BIKEID.shtml
I like turtles
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

Thank you all for your replies. I will be sure to try and be more on point with the punctuation I’m just so use to txting and not caring about i guess. Thanks again I really appreciate the help!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If YOU are asking for help, then YOU may want to oblige those who may be giving you answers.

Your posts look like word soup. On other forums, I am quick to skip over helping anyone who does the same. If THEY can't bother to make it easy for me to read, then why should I spend my time to help them with a dirt bike problem PLUS decode word soup??
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

Ok got it. I will do my best to make my post more legible. I wasn’t trying to be difficult, I guess I just got use to typing like that and if that’s going to turn people away from my posts, then Ill make sure all my future post won’t be an issue. If you have any other advice in regards to my project or anything thing else it’s greatly appreciated. Thank you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you.

Look at the tenth digit in the VIN to determine the year model of your bikes.

http://www.kdxgarage.com/vininformation.html

Be sure of each year before you start buying parts.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 09:28 am Jul 13 2019 Thank you.

Look at the tenth digit in the VIN to determine the year model of your bikes.

http://www.kdxgarage.com/vininformation.html

Be sure of each year before you start buying parts.
Might as well check motor serials, too. I know I’m glad I did.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Engine number" as Kawasaki calls it.
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

I did look up both my kdx and the kx. Both are correct the kdx is a 94 and the kx is a 98. I actually have been looking into just buying a rolling complete bike with a blown engine. If I decided to go that route which year would be the most compatible or easiest to to do the swap ?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

IIWM I'd use the latest year I could find for the donor. The bulk of the parts that are going to break in normal riding are on the chassis, so having one that is newer is a lot easier to source parts for. That being said, the KX125 stopped being made in 2005, and model years 2004/2005 are different than 2002, which is different than 99-02. If you get really lucky you could find a YZ250 late model (like 2016 or newer) with a blown motor and do the swap.
Msalah8584

Post by Msalah8584 »

Why a late yz250 ? Is it as easy or easier to do the swap ? Also I’m assuming that’s aluminum frame and I cannot weld aluminum, so it would have to be a straight bolt up application for that to work for me.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I say a late YZ jsut because its a large 2 stroke so engine fitment would be easier, but yes it is aluminum. I just really like the ergos of the YZ-X, just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on one of my own lol.