Which Chassis?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Lawman_745

Which Chassis?

Post by Lawman_745 »

Hey everyone! After racing the KDX at a few races this year, I've decided to build a hybrid out of my 03 220. I have been searching diligently for a KX chassis but have had no luck in my area. I do have access to a couple of other brands besides Kawasaki.

I saw a post on here about a guy using KTM 125 frame. A friend has an 03 rolling frame I can get cheap. The build on the forum said he used the older water cooled KDX engine. Are the case bolt sizes different between H and E series engines? If they are the same, this will be my easiest option.

I have already in my possession a basket case 99 YZ125. I've always been a Yamaha guy and would love to make this happen. It seems everyone that has tried it quits do to the swingarm issue. I still can't quit see what the problem is with the swingarm being hollow. I can weld aluminum, so if modifications need done, this isn't an issue.

The last option is an 05 CRF250X parts bike at my parents. This would be the hardest option, as there's only a frame, swingarm, and rear shock left. I assume the CR and CRF swingarms are similar so it should fit the cases fairly well. I know the front frame cradle and Y will need redone, as well as buying a front end, subframe, all plastics, ect. This will be a last resort option.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Which Chassis?

Post by doakley »

Personally I like the Yamaha option. I think that would make a very competitive bike.