Air cooled

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
KDF200X

Re: Air cooled

Post by KDF200X »

Got back out riding... yesterday now.(its early) The gist of this story is that i gave away enough gas to use up my mix can. I was hesitant to substitute my Maxima castor 927,(Sunday, everybody is either riding or in church, certainly no power-sports shops open) however under pressure i bent and picked up AMS oil Dominator.(ready and available) I proceeded to mix @ 32/1. I drained the contents of the gas tank. Then filled the gas tank with the new mix.(petcock off) I then warmed up the bike until the float bowl was nearly empty... and then opened the petcock.

I finished warming up the bike and then set out on the M20 trailhead.(ORV portion not MCCCT) The wether was a humid upper 80's. It was early to mid afternoon in the shade cover, of the forest.

As a side note. Over Memorial day weekend, in the heat, the bike had been slugish, and down on power when HOT.(air cooled)

Today the ride was hot, but pleasant. The bike kept putting down the power. The gears didn't feel at all flat and powerless like the last couple of rides.

I am thinking of sticking with this oil during the warm part of the year... but am still hesitant to change oils. Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated. If you have any experience with changing the mix oil up, on a air cooled 2 stroke, please chime in even if its just a few words.
Thanks
'86 Kdx200/ '04 Kx250f - hybrid
'06 Kx450f
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

temp last time you rode?

How old was the previous gasoline?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDF200X

Post by KDF200X »

Low to mid 80's for the last riding we'd done. Gas was probably a month old then(ethanol free premium, stored in cool area with low light)
'86 Kdx200/ '04 Kx250f - hybrid
'06 Kx450f
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Stored in what material container, plastic or metal

mixed or just gasoline?

EDIT ADD-ON: This sounds like a comparison of apples and oranges, trying to make a decision on that. You didn't do fresh gasoline and "mixed that day" fuel against fuel.

Either way, keep those power valves clean. I can't remember anyone ever saying they ran brand X oil for years and their power valves were carbon free. :grin:

Congratulations on getting out and riding!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
arjay200

Post by arjay200 »

Hey nice build, and an interesting read. Just wondered if you had advice on the set up of the Lectron. I'm setting one up for my '87 motor. What metering rod are you using - mine has a 2x3 XL? Just wondered if that's a good starting point.