kx200 AF hybrid build worth it

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Monasheemonster

Post by Monasheemonster »

Hello everyone

I want to build a hybrid for faster trail riding (i ride a trials bike and want to avoid using it as a trail bike and limit it for really challenging terrain/exploration).

I have the opportunity to buy a '09 kx250f rolling chassis complete minus engine for $500cdn. I also have a kdx200 "E" lined up as a donor. Question to you who have the experience riding the aluminum framed kx's is it worth the hassle of fabbing aluminum for a woods trail machine with the kdx engine? I'm leaning towards it because of cheap initial start up costs. Or should I to wait for say a 2003-2007 kx125 with the steel frame. For your info i'm 6'2" and 195lbs. Which chassis will suit me better? I read on here the 200 fits with minor filing into the swing arm on the kx250f, the aluminum welding i'll outsource, if i go kx125 chassis i'll use my MIG.

thanks in advance. I've enjoyed the site and read many of the hybrid threads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kx200 AF hybrid build worth it

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. :bravo:

Look all around the internet for even more threads on people converting aluminum framed bikes to hold a different engine. From what I have read the main thing is the need to make a new engine cradle (or thereabouts) due to the exhaust pipe exit.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Monasheemonster

Post by Monasheemonster »

Thanks Jason

I should re-phrase my question a little, which chassis would make a better trail bike for someone my size (6'2" ~195lbs) for a hybrid build a 2003-2007 kx125 or a 2009 kx250f. Anyone out there who as a completed a kx250f hybrid?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think that both will be about the same size wise but the KX250f has better suspension front and rear. Of course, doing a steel frame KX125 conversion is relatively easy whereas an AF conversion is not. Pros and cons. I have an '06 KX250f I still have here trying to decide if I'll do an AF conversion with it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: kx200 AF hybrid build worth it

Post by bufftester »

It all really depends on how much work you want to put into it. The earlier KX (99-05) frames don't have to be cut and welded, just a new set of front engine mounts welded on (easily done with a MIG) and you could be done in an afternoon or two. The aluminum frames will take longer as you need to cut the down tube and fab a new engine cradle. Obviously the 09 is going to have better suspension than the 02, but when properly setup most folks would never feel the difference. Regardless, at 6'2" the 250F and the 125 frames are going to feel small, but are easily rideable with some tall seat foam and bar risers if you feel the need to open up the cockpit. My son is 6'1" and rides my 2001 125 based hybrid with no issues.