How different does a Hybrid ride vs the KDX?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
19Delta
Supporting Member

How different does a Hybrid ride vs the KDX?

Post by 19Delta »

I have an 03 KDX. All stock. I weigh 175lbs, and my son weighs around 230. He likes the suspension stock. When I ride or race it in an enduro, I swap the rear links to Koba 3 links, and slide the forks up in the clamps. It still feels off... like the front end isn't working, feels stiff to me. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, and I ride trials a LOT. I am a Newb nobody on an enduro bike, but having fun and getting better. I'm looking for a second bike that will only be for me, and my son will only get the bike we already have. I live in Northern Indiana, and we ride tight trails. Planning a trip to Moab Utah next year! :grin: If it helps any, I rode a KTM freeride and fell in love. I wish there was a way to build that for cheap!

I'm curious how you guys would compare the following bikes:

Bike #1. Stock H series KDX, with suspension tuned to the specific rider by a local suspension race shop.

Bike #2. H series KDX, with KLX or KX forks, with suspension tuned to the specific rider by a local suspension race shop.

Bike #3. H series KDX/KX Hybrid, with suspension tuned to the specific rider by a local suspension race shop.

Thanks a bunch for the input guys, I really appreciate it!
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: How different does a Hybrid ride vs the KDX?

Post by ecojbr »

There really is no comparison. I have built three hybrids now. All three are still at the races. I let one go and went to a 250. Back on a hybrid. My son made his best finish this year on it. He normally races a 250 and he weighs 215. That is my opinion.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Can you describe how they ride differently? Which is easier to ride for a novice/intermediate rider?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Lower center of gravity. Rider sits higher on bike. I am rather short and feel like I have more control of the bike. Easier to stay in a proper position on the kx chassis.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

I have 2 Kdx's and two hybrids that I have built. I swapped KX forks onto the KDX's. The KDX's perform well with the fork upgrade and will turn sharper in tight woods. The hybrids feel lower because they are narrower than the KDX. The hybrid is also lighter. The longer wheelbase and better suspension really help in faster riding conditions and especially on a track.
Most of my riding is in the woods and the KX frame and suspension with the torque monster 220 engine are a great combo.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by kashola »

I will echo what has already been said. Hybrid really is no comparison. My bikes have pretty much gone through the "natural" progression as you listed (stock, KX forks, hybrid) like many others. The usable power and plush ride of the stock bike gets you hooked. Then you get good/comfortable enough that you want more. The KX fork conversion helps handling tremendously and is easy upgrade. Then you get good/comfortable enough that you want more. Once you ride the hybrid, you'll wonder why you didn't just do that in the first place.
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

kashola wrote: ...Then you get good/comfortable enough that you want more. Once you ride the hybrid, you'll wonder why you didn't just do that in the first place.
Thanks for the input! How do you think the hybrid rides compared to a KDX with KX front suspension, for a NOVICE/BEGINNER rider? Especially if used for a fun play bike, and not racing?

REALLY curious to hear anyone's input that has been thru all the "levels" on the different bikes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
keithh2oskier

Post by keithh2oskier »

Is there a difference in turning radius with say a late 90s KX 125 frame vs the 95+ KDX frame for tight single track?

I used to have a 90 KDX 200. Sold it for a KTM 200 and regretted it. KDX was way easier to ride and I think my riding (am a C rider) didn't progress as well on the KTM as I could have on the KDX.

So back on the hunt for a KDX. I came across a hybrid (99 125 frame/03 220 eng). Its a bit pricey at $2500 and will need minimum new springs for my weight but otherwise looks in great shape. I can get a KDX for about half that.

I dont have the time or skills to do a hybrid myself. This will mainly be a trail bike. I have a KTM 400 EXC thats plated and will use for the open desert. Just looking for a single track weapon and looking to see whats my best interest. I am not really looking to spend a lot.

Also I am 5'3" so something shorter the better.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

If it's a well built hybrid, I would go for it but you have to decide if that price is ok for you.

I do not have a hybrid but do have a KDX with a complete custom suspension...KX forks and RM shock. I like it as is and does just fine with my riding trails with my boys. I have no desire for MX tracks so I sold my KX250 to a buddy years ago. Probably should have kept the bike as it is nice to have a backup.

I will probably take some heat for this but it's ok, I'm a big boy. The vast majority of us are weekend riders and not paid professionals. For most of us, it's much more rider ability than it is bike and I think a lot of us inflate how good we think we are. As I said, just my opinion.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have done the gamut and here's my .02. If you want a trailbike/playbike get a low price KDX and spend the extra money on springing it to your weight, then ride it until the end of time. The hybrid route is great for racing, bike is lighter, feels more nimble, handles speed and big hits better (as you would expect from a MX bike). BUT the turning radius on the stock frame is tighter and the wheel base is slightly shorter which impacts high speed riding, but not trail riding. I sometimes miss that extra bit of radius with my hybrid when things get really tight. Also, the KX frame sits higher, so if you are already running Kouba 3 links is going to make that problem worse. You can still lower it, just has to come down a bit more, and any lowering reduces the range of motion in your suspension. The stock KDX can be setup to handle most anything you can get into, and will allow you to progress, but you have to take the time to set it up correctly for your weight and riding style. This is no different than any other bike on the planet.
If you have an eye towards racing then I would probably still get a cheap KDX, spring it properly, ride until I needed more while saving my pennies for a newer bike like a YX250X or the KTM/Huskys. Electric start, oil injection, gobs of power and modern suspension look better the older I get lol. Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER sell my hybrid...
keithh2oskier

Post by keithh2oskier »

Thanks Bufftester. I’m leaning towards just the traditional KDX route at this point. I tried the HS and Enduro thing and it wasn’t really my style. Took the fun out of riding but that’s mostly because I was so new at that point.