Rmz200dx hybrid build

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Ffryno13

Re: Rmz200dx hybrid build

Post by Ffryno13 »

Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Newer cases, i got them off eBay but I'm not super happy with the purchase.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

There's some scaring from a rod bearing failing it looks like. I gently sanded the sharp edges and unevenness with 600 grit to make sure they didn't get hot and come off.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Before you go too far with cleaning those up, I would do a quick check to make sure the cases arent warped.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote:For some reason the pipe looks like it's for a 125 to me... Anyone?
Does the silencer slip on the pipe? If so then it is from a 250. The 125 silencer was too small to fit on my PCII pipe.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Tedh98 wrote:Before you go too far with cleaning those up, I would do a quick check to make sure the cases arent warped.
I checked them the best I could with my square and a light behind it and they look good to me. They don't teeter tawter on my bench.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Tedh98 wrote:
Ffryno13 wrote:For some reason the pipe looks like it's for a 125 to me... Anyone?
Does the silencer slip on the pipe? If so then it is from a 250. The 125 silencer was too small to fit on my PCII pipe.
I was actually talking about the pipe. It just seems thin to me for a 200. But I'm also used to looking at 250 2t mx bike pipes.

Has anyone tried using the fmf stealth Q from a kx250? They look like a better more compact design.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Ffryno13 wrote:I was actually talking about the pipe. It just seems thin to me for a 200. But I'm also used to looking at 250 2t mx bike pipes.
My bad, totally missed the word "pipe" in your post.

If you know the silencer is from a 250 and the pipe fits it, then you know at least it isn't a 125 pipe.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Tedh98 wrote:
Ffryno13 wrote:I was actually talking about the pipe. It just seems thin to me for a 200. But I'm also used to looking at 250 2t mx bike pipes.
My bad, totally missed the word "pipe" in your post.

If you know the silencer is from a 250 and the pipe fits it, then you know at least it isn't a 125 pipe.
The silencer is from the kdx200 as far as I know. The bike was in pieces when I picked it up. But the pipe looked a little slim compared to my last kdx200 back in '05. But they do slip together.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Well all I'm missing at this point is waiting for my cylinder to come back from sleeving.

I still can't figure out what kind material the frame is made out of. Everything I've found just says "hi tensile steel" which is really a broad spectrum of metals. I emailed Kawasaki to see if theyd share the info but we will see...
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Here's my pressure cap for popping dents out of pipes. There will be a rubber sleeve and hide clamps around the plug and pipe so I don't have a missile go off in the shop.

Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Can you elaborate on this a little? My pipe is pretty beat up.

Fun Wheel Drive
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Yeah sorry, I got the tapered rubber plug from home depot. Then went to the auto parts store and got 2" valve stems. Then I drilled a hole in the middle of the big plug so that the valve stem was a tight fit.

You'll have to get some other material to go over your pipe and the plug and then secure both with hose clamp.

Using the valve stem you'll be able to add air and hold it or pull the valve out and release the pressure when your done.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Got some progress this week. It's been hard to get out to the shop with a 4 year old and 4 month old. But I got the brakes bleed, new plastic mounted. Rebuilt the air box (still have to build a re enforcing plate for the top mounting holes that broke off)

I'm still playing with the air boot, the rmz fits but it's tight as hell and I'm worried it won't seal up because the front lip is stretched so hard. Or that at some point it will wear threw. The kdx boot is pretty short and I don't think it will fit the correct angle to the reed cage it also looks like the shock will rub.

I played a little bit with sanding the inside of the rmz boot to have the carb fit deeper. But there is only so much room there. And I'm not sure if the roughed surface will have issues later?

snopro753
Supporting Member

Post by snopro753 »

How are you going to modify the frame to clear the exhaust port on the KDX motor? From scratch or fab in the KDX downtube and round frame tubes?
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I'm going to do it from scratch I ended selling the roller kdx. There were a couple issues with swapping the cradles mainly that the rmz250 motor sits lower and is deeper then the kdx so id have to re do all the motor mounts any way. The down tubes are are pretty close but if you don't know how to do some serious metal work it'll looked hacked together from the size difference.

The motor mounts are already going to be taller then I wanted with keeping the weight low in the frame in mind so I'm back to building it from scratch. Which I think will work out better.

I just got my cases in for mock up but I'm still waiting on my cylinder before i cut the frame to get everything inline.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Made some progress on the hybrid today. Got everything mocked up, frame cut (for the most part) Just need to get the tubing and bend it up and burn in the mounts. The carb fit well after I heated the boot up with the new carb. I'm even able to use the stock rmz rads. I'll be able to use both the front and rear head stays. I have the motor clocked about as far forward as I can without jeopardizing angle of the trans or cylinder. The pipe is also up above the bottom of the frame and tucked in tight which should help protect it a bit.

The pipe seems a little off but I think I'll be able to work with it. The upper mount is in the middle of nowhere so I may delete it when it comes time to finish everything

At this point I'm still looking for a bigger tank I'm hoping that Clarke mfg will be able to help either make a custom one or help fit a larger tank.

Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Had some progress got the frame rails bent and mocked into place to check clearance. The right side rad spigot runs into the pipe so that got cut off flush and I'll re weld one in the right place later.

Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Got everything tacked in place. Even picked up a kx250 tc2 from my neighbor which will require some mods but not nearly as much as the kdx200 tc2. Also got the swing arm filled back in where it looked like the chain rubbed threw it.