Rmz200dx hybrid build

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Ffryno13

Re: Rmz200dx hybrid build

Post by Ffryno13 »

So I got my first ride on her... And it was amazing! My jetting was pig rich for the elevation but it pulled and made the smoothest most tractable power that I have ever had (coming from a 09 KTM 300 xcw that's pretty impressive) I think running the motor mounts low and keeping a low center of gravity in mind while I was building helped a ton in the handling department. At 55mph on some quad trails i could still put the bike anywhere I wanted with out issue.

My only issue is that the 1.9gal stock tank makes it hard to put real miles down as I'm only getting about 25 mpg could be partly my rich jetting or a combination of that and my brand new motor needing some break in time.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on it all coming together!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I put about 60 miles of really tough single track on it and it performed well but got pretty hot a few times in the technical stuff trying to get over washed out roots and loose hill climbs. It was a black diamond and double black diamond day chasing a KTM 450 and a KTM 300. Probably one of my favorite days on a bike, even though i ended up breaking some toes on a hidden stump.

Next mods are kx125 clutch arm or possibly an extended stock unit and shorter clutch lever. Custom skid plate and an 18" rear wheel with the tubliss installed.

I have been emailing back and forth about an adjustable cdi to help bring some more bottom and mid.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Well I'm a couple rides into the hybrid. I've done a few more mods I installed the kx125 clutch arm which has made the heavy duty clutch very hydraulic. I put the IMS 2.5gal tank on it while I do research on fitting a larger tank maybe from a kx 125 (if I can ever find one). My blank tusk impact wheels are on their way while my tubliss system front and rear lay in waiting.

Custom skid plate is sitting on the work bench I'll update with more pics later
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

This is on top of a hillclimb in Tillamook state forest some where near Jordan Creek.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

So I weighed my hybrid sans fuel and she came out at 231lbs that includes my fender bag with bolts and extra tools, added engine guards, running a full liter of oil and oversized rads. I don't think it's too bad for a woods bike.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Bike looks sweeeeeet! What year KX125 clutch arm did you use? How'd the skid plate turn out? I need to start on mine here pretty soon.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Tyl3r wrote:Bike looks sweeeeeet! What year KX125 clutch arm did you use? How'd the skid plate turn out? I need to start on mine here pretty soon.
It's an 89 kx125 clutch arm. Skid plate is in the back burner again until I get my overheating fixed.

And I have some honey-do's to catch up on.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Heal up on the foot.

Look into Water Wetter, etc. as coolant or maybe add an electric fan.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Jason wrote:Heal up on the foot.

Look into Water Wetter, etc. as coolant or maybe add an electric fan.
Thanks Jason, I went out the next weekend. Just taped it up and a compression sock

I was using water wetter concentrate but I just switched to the water wetter supercool premix so we'll see how that goes.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ffryno13 wrote:It's an 89 kx125 clutch arm. Skid plate is in the back burner again until I get my overheating fixed.
Sweet, thanks for the info! Good luck with the overheating problem

Jason wrote:Look into Water Wetter, etc. as coolant or maybe add an electric fan.
Have you seen electric fans added to KDX's (stock or hybrid?) I've thought about that before, but didn't think it would work out well unless you had a battery on the bike. I'd be interested to see how others have that work.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

I ve looked into it but i ve seemed to have cured the issue using the supercooler formula and straightening my rad fins.

I'll keep looking into the fan options because it would still be nice insurance