Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build - DONE!

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build

Post by ICRage42 »

I would put a good bet on the different fork setup in clamp.

If your bearings are good and your triple clamps nut is tight or you know then that would only leave forks. Perhaps check to see if tire is seated all the way too? I think from pics thats not an issue but something else to check.

Do the tubes and set the sag.

Oh yea tighten that axle nut :lol:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Haha yea... I will make sure all of the axle nut is tight for sure.

I think I'm just going to take my top clamp off, double check everything is tight (I put everything together and took it apart 10 times, probably not a smart move on my part.... note taken for the next build!) and put it all back together properly torquing everything. Bearings are new, everything should be good up there.

What do you mean by tire seated? Like the bead all the way around the rim? If so, yes, I can confirm that it is.

Thanks for the input!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

yes seated had just a little bit on mine that didnt and it was almost there (dry spot?). Just reinflated with some soapy water there and popped into place fully.

Do the one fork and then the other and how it says in book. Spin the wheel and hit the brake a couple times to set everything in place and tighten down. Done it so many times its unreal but works.

Right now I have my klx forks flush and its a field screamer but feels like a chopper in the trees. Good stability. I move about a quarter inch for tight woods about the most I can do atm with no bar risers.

Setting the sag and putting clickers at stock settings are a must imo. BTW what are your clickers at? Id lay a bet on different clicks but Im broke but hell its your money :lol:

what I like to do to let me know Im tracking well is to roll down a small incline without the engine running. Look at the tracks and see if any side shifting. Good time to find out if you need bearings anywhere too. Usually do without a helmet but its anything but extreme and ive fallen standing by my bike harder. Yes Its hard sometimes :rolleyes:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I honestly haven't touched the clickers yet on it. I had both ends re-sprung and re-valved, when I got them back, he said he set the clickers where he thought would be best for me. I wanted to get some time on it and see how it felt before I started messing with them (this thing feels entirely new to me, I got use to riding the quad again while I was building). So...I would assume that they are set the same. But, I make an ass out of u and me all the time, so I will definitely double check. I tightened everything down like the FSM says, so shes ready for another test ride...as soon as I find the time!

Also, my graphics came in this week :mrgreen: They are pretty sweet! Only bad thing is...I like the no graphics look better :hmm: can't let the most expensive set of stickers I have ever bought go to waste tho :doh: lol I'm hoping to have those on this weekend; I'll post up some photos when I do. I went the semi-custom route through MXGraphics.co. Since I went semi-custom, you know I had to get KDXRider.net printed on there.... here's a teaser lol

royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I highly doubt the clickers or fork height being different have anything to do with the issue. Once the front is tight it all acts as one piece. My kx forks were revalved and now one side does compression and the other fork is rebound. Cant get any more different from side to side then that. The proper way to set fork height is to set one side where you want it. Then adjust the other side untill the axle spins free. The worst problem with the front end is the forks being to close together or too far apart at the wheel. Make shure the axle spins free in the fork lug on the side with no nut. Tighten the axle and with the pinch bolts loose compress the front end a few times. That will set the forks to the right width.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

That all makes a good bit of sense to me. Thanks, I'll play with it some more before I take it out to make sure it spins freely.

Would you say that the best course of action would be to:
-start with everything loose
-snug the axle nut and tighten the left side clamp
-then spin the wheel to make sure its free
-then tighten the axle nut
-then tighten the right side clamp

That is basically what the FSM says IIRC
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

sounds good what you stated only other thing I do is compress forks a couple and or spin wheel and hit the front brake to make it settle in a even space.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Cool man. Hoping to take it out for bit on Sunday, we'll see how she does!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

It rides awesome! Does everything I wanted it to and even more. The suspension is soo good, it just takes everything, really makes things easy. i love everything about it. I even took it to a car show before I took it into the woods lol After I went over the front end again, the wobbles went away.

bernie

Post by bernie »

What brand of plastics did you use? And what year kx is the front guard?
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build - DONE!

Post by ced64k »

Nice! :supz:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

bernie wrote:What brand of plastics did you use? And what year kx is the front guard?
Its a mix match of Acerbis and Polisport, whatever I could find the best price on when searching eBay.

And by front guard, do you mean the fork guards? Those are 2005 KX125 if so.
ced64k wrote:Nice! :supz:
Thanks man!
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Good job! Finally!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

So, I've had the bike out a few times and just absolutely love everything about it, much worth the time. If anyone is on the fence for building one of these...go for it!

When I set out for this build, I wanted to build what I thought would be the perfect single track machine. That's exactly how it turned out. I've mainly only had it in rocky stuff, tight single track, hill climbs, and some open woods stuff. The plush suspension eats everything I throw at it, I never feel like I'm going to be bucked off. The huge amount of bottom end makes the tight technical stuff a breeze. Moving it around through the trees seems to be a bit easier too as compared to the KDX. I don't get tired out anywhere near as fast as I use to on the KDX.

Just wanted to share how it came out! I can't thank KDXRider.net enough for all of the help along the way. Thanks for looking!
bcampbe7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bcampbe7 »

Love everything about this build! Great looking hybrid. Thanks for sharing the process.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

bcampbe7 wrote:Love everything about this build! Great looking hybrid. Thanks for sharing the process.
Thanks for the compliments! and you are welcome!
rehammer81

Post by rehammer81 »

That bad boy is amazing looking! So I'm a newbie to dirt bikes in general but just recently bought a fully rebuilt 97' KDX 220 with the KX 500 fork swap. Since you put the whole KDX 220 engine in the KX frame, what is the advantage of the KX/KDX hybrid? Your years were only one year apart. Are the KX frames that different/better? Is it a frame geometry thing? I'm familiar with frame geometry +/- from mountain biking.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The KX125 frame is narrower and lighter (albeit not by a lot), but also has improved suspension. Remember that the H and 220s are based on early 90s KX125, suspensions have improved since. It also gives access to a lot more aftermarket goodies that are frame specific as the newer KX models are still supported by a lot of manufacturers. From my own experience on my hybrid (2001 KDX220 motor in a 2001 KX125 frame with 2002 KX250 suspension parts) I can tell you that the bike feels taller and lighter than the 220, the cockpit is much easier to move in rather than being forced up against the tank the way the KDX seat/tank combo does. Basically I feel more like I'm riding on it and not in it if that makes sense. Is it for everyone? no, but I believe it is the bike the KDX was destined to become if the engineers at Kawi had had any fore sight. The biggest problems with the KDX is the suspension, and you've already worked on the front end, make sure you spring both ends to your riding weight and that bike will take you anywhere an orange or blue or red bike will go, and just as quickly.
rehammer81

Post by rehammer81 »

bufftester wrote:The KX125 frame is narrower and lighter (albeit not by a lot), but also has improved suspension. Remember that the H and 220s are based on early 90s KX125, suspensions have improved since. It also gives access to a lot more aftermarket goodies that are frame specific as the newer KX models are still supported by a lot of manufacturers. From my own experience on my hybrid (2001 KDX220 motor in a 2001 KX125 frame with 2002 KX250 suspension parts) I can tell you that the bike feels taller and lighter than the 220, the cockpit is much easier to move in rather than being forced up against the tank the way the KDX seat/tank combo does. Basically I feel more like I'm riding on it and not in it if that makes sense. Is it for everyone? no, but I believe it is the bike the KDX was destined to become if the engineers at Kawi had had any fore sight. The biggest problems with the KDX is the suspension, and you've already worked on the front end, make sure you spring both ends to your riding weight and that bike will take you anywhere an orange or blue or red bike will go, and just as quickly.
Thanks. Makes sense. I do feel like the gas tank on my KDX is kind of odd. Especially because mine has the larger 3.6gal Clarke Desert tank. I'm still very much a rookie though so I'm not stressing my suspension or the maneuverability much. Maybe I'll do a KX/KDX down the road.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks rehammer81!