Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build - DONE!

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build

Post by Tedh98 »

The bike is looking great!

Those are some nice looking welds.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thank you, I always appreciate the kind words!

Words cannot describe how badly I want to get the frame and swinger coated. Should be all downhill once they are, except for the carb/boot/airbox fitment. I think that is the last major detail that I have to figure out, pretty sure the rest will be assembly. Fun project for sure!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
kenpowell

Post by kenpowell »

Tyl3r wrote:
kenpowell wrote:I mounted my pipe to the skid plate ('03 kx125 chassis). Here are some pictures: http://s34.photobucket.com/user/ken-pow ... ort=1&o=36
nice. mine is basically mounted the same way, but a tab off of the frame, rather than the skid plate. I'm guessing you aren't having issues with that kind of mount?
The only problem with mounting the lower pipe mount to the skid plate is that the pipe is rather difficult to remove / install.
Ken Powell
2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in the WP tubes
2003 YZ265WR with 2005 AOSS forks
2003 KX125 / KDX200 motor with YZ SSS forks
First Motorcycle - 1963 Harley 175 Scat
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I decided to get a ring machined to adapt the KDX carb to the KX air boot. I basically copied what Biggles did back in 2012. As soon as the local machine shop whips it out, we shall see how it works!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Look forward to the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Are you using the 125 or 250 boot?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Tedh98 wrote:Are you using the 125 or 250 boot?
I was going to try the 125 boot first...hoping that it will work with the vforce3's on there too
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Do you have a 250 boot? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

How does the 125 line up?

I'm asking because I'm messing around with some different air boots for the hybrid. It looks like I might be making another one and am trying to see if there are some easier ways to handle the air box. This one looks promising:

It fits the KDX carb well and the alignment is nearly there. I just need to see if I can workout how to mount it to the air box.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Ted - It is going to be a little bit before I put it all back together to see. I want to do the top end before I put the motor into the frame. Hopefully next weekend I can start pulling it apart to do that. I am going to pick the ring up today from the machine shop, but I'm not going to modify the carb and install the ring until the motor is in the frame and I can confirm fitment. I did want to ask you though, how were you able to bend your aluminum around a socket for the silencer spacer? I would like to get a ring ready for when I start lining everything up, just having a hard time figuring out how to do that bend lol

Had a local shop put the tires on for me, I was too scared I was going to scratch the rim lol I just can't get enough of the black and gold wheels:

Saturday night/Sunday morning I was able to finish the powder coating on the frame and swingarm. We just got a new bada$$ powder coating gun set-up that improves our process tremendously. This was the first set of parts that we coated using it, I think it turned out pretty nice. Here they are all blasted, phosphated, and ready for powder:

All done :boogie:

Then yesterday, I was able to get the thing on 2 wheels again. Seeing it as a roller got me pretty excited :supz: . Just hope I can find the time to get it done relatively soon!

If I can find the time, I'd like to start on the top end this weekend. Hard to say though, work is piling up in the powder coating shop, truck needs a y-pipe put on and inspected by the end of the month, girlfriend is saying she doesn't get enough time... priorities :hmm:
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build

Post by ICRage42 »

pfff tell the gf she doesnt help you enough and its hard to spend free time since she doesnt help in the garage.

Torch the nuts off the y pipe have her work on putting the new one on and while that takes 14 hrs you can do the top end and reassemble.

then dump her :lol:

rofl just joking but the irony is change garage to kitchen and pipe to kitchen sink. :blink:

Damn thats looking great man love the powder coat. What are you guys chargin? Also take a look at youngstown cl I seen an ad for some cart races coming up some big event might be able to unload the 125 engine there. If I remember right your a couple hours away but might be beneficial if you get decent money for engine.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Hahaha I like the kitchen to garage and yea, that y-pipe change didn't go all that smooth. Broke a stud off in the intake manifold and had to heat er up and get her out. Then when I was done and started the truck...wayyy to freakin loud with a Flowmaster super 44 on it haha. O well, no more check engine light and at least people will hear me coming now.

Thanks for the kind words! A dirtbike frame and swingarm are usually around $200-$250 depending on color and number of coats. I will check into those kart races, that's a good idea, thanks.

After I finished up the truck yesterday, I had a little time to slap some more parts on the roller. I'm just loving how this thing is looking, pretty stoked! Trying to figure out what headlight I want to use. Anyone have any recommendations? I just set the KDX one up there to see how it was going to look.

Still trying hard to find the time to do the top end. I am hoping to have a full day to mess with it, so if I don't need to replate, I can put it back together the same day I took it apart.

Speaking of, I was hoping to get the motor section of the FSM for the KDX. I already bought one for the KX125, don't want to have to buy another one just for one section lol. Would anyone be willing to share that section with me? If so, please shoot me a PM....
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Top end teardown has finally begun! One of the main reasons I wanted to do a top end on this bike is because I was unsure as to whether the stock piston was still in it or not. I was happily surprised to see a Wiseco in there when I started pulling everything apart. Everything looks pretty good to me, but this is the first top end I've ever done. Going to take it to a local bike shop this week and see what they think.

new parts :supz:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

This morning, the tracking info for my cylinder said it was on the truck for delivery... so I feel the need to check it every 10 seconds here at at work to see if it is on my porch yet....

Just checked it after lunch....

IT NEEDED A SIGNATURE SO IT WASN'T DELIVERED!!!!

You have got to be kidding me. I just got a brand new $700 smartphone from Verizon shipped to me and left on my porch a couple weeks ago, it didn't need a signature. Now a couple hundred bucks worth of old motorcycle parts requires a signature!? I didn't even think this would have happened... I would have left a note this morning before I left for work. :doh: Ahhhh just freaking annoying...wanted to slap her together tonight. Had to vent.... :wah:

Is it common to have to sign for cylinders like this being sent back to you? This is a first for me in regards to bike parts...
Last edited by Tyl3r on 02:36 pm May 20 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build

Post by Tedh98 »

Sorry to hear that.

Who did the plating?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Its pretty disappointing! lol PowerSeal
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

That is weird. They did my cylinder a couple of months and and no signature required.

I know the sender can require a signature, but I wonder if the shipper can require that a signature is needed?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Well, I decided to try the Cycra Pro Bend hand guards out. I love how they look, but I wasnt happy with the self tapping screws for the shields, nor did I care for the polished aluminum, so I fixed them up a little:

Before:

Powder Coated guards and brackets, and I drilled and tapped the mounting holes for M6x1.0x12mm SS allen heads:

I also was able to get my cylinder painted this weekend. I was really going to powder coat it but I was nervous about the whole heat dissipation thing... I also know that it would be another 3-4 weeks before I would be to shoot powder on it due to our current workload... can't wait any longer. I used the VHT primer, color, and gloss clear. I think it turned out pretty awesome!

I think I should have an evening or two to myself this week, hopefully the top end will be together and in the bike by the end of the weekend!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Whooo, look at you.. or your cylinder really. Good job!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks! I was going to start putting it together last night until I read the warning on the spray cans... "the paint must be fully cured before it is fully resistant to chemicals". Full cure is sitting at room temp for 7 days (ain't no body got time for that) or cure at 200F for 1 hour. So...it was off to the powder coat shop last night to give it a bake, should be good to go now.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the power valves in the very least. Today is the old lady's birthday, so I won't be getting to do anything that I want to do this evening...
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Lookin legit! And I like the Zebra rug. Makes it sort of an eccentric build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk