What do you ride with your Hybrid?

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I'm wondering what type of riding best suits a hybrid? How good can the suspension get for tight woods in a tuners hands? Where is it strong and where is it weak?
Would it be better than a ktm 200? where would it be better or worse?

I think the KDX (e-series is all I've ridden) has a motor that's tough to beat in the tight woods, but what about the kx chassis?

Inquiring minds want to know..... :hmm:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: What do you ride with your Hybrid?

Post by kdxtreme »

Haven't revalved my suspension yet and it does killer in the woods turns better than the kdx and handles wayyyyyy better pick a line and it just goes there. And is alot cheaper on parts :supz: Can't wait to revalve :lol: So do it, don't waste your money on a euro bike. been there and done that.
Did I say riding?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've been on a KTM 200 for a bit over a year now. I've done 4 enduros on it and am currently in second in the B200 class (the guy in first is a 17 year old who won the Jr Enduro class last year. I'm screwed unless I let the air out of his tires)
I rode the hybrid for 3 years and ran lots of enduros on it and it did great
I rode the stock KDX for probably 4 years and liked it a whole lot

To answer your question is really not easy.
The stock KDX was realy great in the tight woods and and had almost no disadvantages compared to the KTM or hybrid in the "third gear and clutch" stuff. It definately turns sharper than any jap mX'er or KTM
The hybrid I have is a '99 CR frame and is WAY better suspension wise than the KDX with KX forks once the speed came up. It did not turn like the stock KDX, though
The KTM 200 has taken a while to adjust and tune for me. I had to "Japanese" it a little by lowering the back and pulling the forks up. It does great in the slow stuff, pretty good at the fast stuff, and turns O.K.

One of the biggest advantages to me is that for whatever reason the KTM does not wear me out like the hybrid or KDX did in a long race.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

I have also been thinking about a hybrid ,but I know I would never use a gen 1 Honda frame even if it was an easier mod. This is a personal preference though. The reason being that I had an 01 Honda and the frame on gen 1 hondas are just to stiff for the hard ege stuff. It just tires the crap out of you no matter what you do to the suspenion. The gen 1 frames are 97-01. I wonder if that is what wore you out more on the cr hybrid? Some people have no problems but they are younger than me in most cases. Now if rekluse would make clutch for the KDX motor.
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

osobad wrote:I have also been thinking about a hybrid ,but I know I would never use a gen 1 Honda frame even if it was an easier mod. This is a personal preference though. The reason being that I had an 01 Honda and the frame on gen 1 hondas are just to stiff for the hard ege stuff. It just tires the crap out of you no matter what you do to the suspenion. The gen 1 frames are 97-01. I wonder if that is what wore you out more on the cr hybrid? Some people have no problems but they are younger than me in most cases. Now if rekluse would make clutch for the KDX motor.

I have an 03 cr125 conversion. I am late 40's and from experience a believer in the steal frame as i think the AL fatigues you more in the slow tight stuff, but the offset is the AL is better at speed.
Mine is a 200 motor with an Eric Gorr modded 225 big bore. Runs strong and is capable in tight stuff or open tracks.
I had an 05 200exc for a long time and this bike is just as good.

One thing i learned over time with this build is you need to pay particular attention to the engine head stay mount.
I used a mount that was too stiff at first and the frame transfered way to much hit to the bars. I am running a very thin mount now and it has made the bike way more compliant as well as turn better! It is now almost as plush as any steel bike i have owned.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

yes your 03 is a gen2 frame which is much more foregiving than the gen 1 (97-01 ) and much easier to get a plush ride over the rough stuff. They don't beat you up near as much. How much more did the 225 kit give you and how does it compare to ktm 200. Not much of a fan of the KtM pre-08
chopper

Post by chopper »

FYI:
97-99 CR250 Gen1
00-01 CR250 Gen2
02-07 CR250 Gen3
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

chopper you are right , forgot about the 00,01 being the 2 gen frame, but gen 1 and 2 were both overly stiff, the gen 3 frame(02) and latter was much better. it takes alot more work the gen1 and 2 frames to work without beating you up in the rough stuff. If I did a hybrid and I might I will not use a Honda aluminum frame older than 02. It would not be worth it for me. Not saying it can't be good for some.I had even considered putting my 01cr motor in a 02 or latter frame, as many due to get rid of some of the harshness.
chopper

Post by chopper »

I have a 01 CR250 motor in a 03 CR250 frame, very easy swap, not so with the KDX220 in the 07 CR125 frame that I am working on.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

love the 01 cr250 motor.
hybridracing65

Post by hybridracing65 »

osobad wrote:yes your 03 is a gen2 frame which is much more foregiving than the gen 1 (97-01 ) and much easier to get a plush ride over the rough stuff. They don't beat you up near as much. How much more did the 225 kit give you and how does it compare to ktm 200. Not much of a fan of the KtM pre-08

I had an 05 200exc.
It had done some carb work, porting, and used a thin base gasket to bump compression and i liked it better than the 08 and up, which runs a smaller carb. My 05 had the same bottom as the 08 but more mid to top.

My preference as best running KDX for woods is a KDX220 with the RB carb and head mods, and a desert pipe!
It runs pretty much identitcal to an 08 ktm200 except the ktm i think may rev out a little more.
My 200 (cylinder) to 225 conversion has way more punch in the middle and more over rev than the RB 220 setup.
I run the RB carb, with desert pipe on the 225. It does not have the super low end response of the RB 220 or an 08 200 ktm, but its adaquate for the gain in midrange power.
It will run with a 250f and pull no problem as i weigh about 220 with gear. Bike still crawls like a mountain goat on nasty rock trails with just enough torque to keep pulling without stalling.
I run a 14/49 gear combo if i remember correctly.
I have been very happy with it. like most builds it is a little more finicky with weather and jetting but nothing bad.
I just got spoiled with the RB designs KDX220 setup i had at one time. I sold it to upgrade to the 225.
I also dad a 97 cr250 purchased new in 97.
Quite familiar with the Gen 1 Horrible frame, painfull acyually.
My Gen 3 is better, but when i switch to a steal bike i can still feel a difference.
I have since built a Gen 4(08) crf450 to CR500 conversion. It seems to be the best of both worlds so far, except its stupid fast.
More fun to ride a slower bike fast then a fast bike slow! lol