Part-out recovery

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
FRECNDY

Part-out recovery

Post by FRECNDY »

Just wondering what the peanut gallery's comments are.

Thinking about a hybrid. I think the best way to do it is probably to just get the two bikes running complete (or at least complete but needing engine work for the target chassis) and build the hybrid, so you have every little nickel and dime stock part you need, without getting nickel and dimed by the dealer or fleabay. Then part out what's left. I know the motor on my target chassis is worth some bucks, even if it has to be parted out to cases, etc.

Any rough ballpark figures on the part-out value of a reasonably clean H-motor KDX post-hybrid? Would obviously depend on what goodies are loaded, but I probably wouldn't tear into one that had been invested in with, for example, KX forks.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Part-out recovery

Post by doctord23 »

Here is a link to my experience.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=12055

My first hybrid was a build.
The second time I used two good running bikes and sold the leftovers.
On down the page I show a spreadsheet of the end costs for both.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
FRECNDY

Re: Part-out recovery

Post by FRECNDY »

Awesome, thanks for the pointer. That's kinda how I was thinking it would work. Now to finish three other projects and clear out some garage space. I guess another nice thing about starting with running bikes is you can ride them and see what they're like before mods while you look for the second one and wait to get around to doing the build.