Hybrid project started

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

Ready for test ride :grin: I guess the pipe was a beotch to fit :mad: It's a 1996 KDX200 stock pipe being made to fit on a 1994 KDX200 motor and a 2004 KX125 frame...some cutting/welding/banging/cussing was needed. He stated that this was the hardest part of the project so far.

It fired up on the first kick :supz:

Test ride went good. We were experiencing a dust storm when we took it to the desert for my first ride. There was some bogging issues...not sure if it is the carb or spark plug. It felt really light like I was riding a bicycle :cool:
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Looks good! The pipe generally seems to be the worst part, but it is worth it.
THill

Post by THill »

Tell you hubby he does good FAST work ,
The bike looks great... :supz:

You might need to go to abit up on jet size to allow for the much larger air box that the 125 has over the KDX air box , that maybe your bog
problem.....

You will love the way that motor is able to lug out of a corner compaired to what the 125 done, alot less shifting and more go forsure......
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

The bike looks really nice. Props to the hubby. It appears the pipe ended up a little low. The stock pipes are a little heavy but strong it should take the beating from being low like that. Plus if you do bash it the are cheap on ebay. Nice to see it done with the E model mill as well. I think I would do the same thing you guys did and get it built and worry about the cosmo stuff later. Heck you'll probably find a few things you want to change. Nice work.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:Tell you hubby he does good FAST work ,
The bike looks great... :supz:

You might need to go to abit up on jet size to allow for the much larger air box that the 125 has over the KDX air box , that maybe your bog
problem.....

You will love the way that motor is able to lug out of a corner compaired to what the 125 done, alot less shifting and more go forsure......
He cleaned out the carb again and put in a new spark plug...it worked :grin: I was able to lug the bike all morning at the local MX track.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

KX200 getting dirty at the local MX track :supz:

Suspension testing

Corner testing. Had to make some adjustments with the forks because it ended up being very touchy (probably great for woods riding)

Here I am twisting the throttle a little bit. I gotta get my elbows up :oops: That's the supercross track in the background...maybe test it next weekend (just kidding)

We also did some crash testing. I can pick the bike up off me and restart it :supz: Sorry...no pics of crashes. I'm happy that I felt comfortable enough to push myself in order to crash :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That has got to be the fastest conversion I have ever seen.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
THill

Post by THill »

GOOD PIC'S, a good build and report....

What gearing did you go with ?
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
THill wrote:GOOD PIC'S, a good build and report....

What gearing did you go with ?
Right now I have 13/47. I'll need a new chain and sprockets....current ones were from the donor bikes. It'll look better when I get a new pipe but hubby states I have to get faster before he makes any more mods :cry:
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:That has got to be the fastest conversion I have ever seen.... :lol:
He wanted me to quit beotching about not having a good bike to ride so he worked 14 hours a day for a week to shut me up :lol: He told me today at the track I have no more excuses...the deficiency isn't the bike it's the rider now :cry: The bike was a blast to ride and can't wait to get on it again :boogie: .
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I definitly vote for the PC pipe on that bike. Skip the FMF. Put in a CEK needle and drop the main 2 sizes. :grin:

Can't wait to meet you all at the track in Jan!

Is that Motogtande?
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:I definitly vote for the PC pipe on that bike. Skip the FMF. Put in a CEK needle and drop the main 2 sizes. :grin:

Can't wait to meet you all at the track in Jan!

Is that Motogtande?
Pics were taken at Motoland on the Vet track (just down the road from MotoG) . I got a bunch of parts fron their shop last week and ended up with some free ride tokens. We'll have to hit up MotoG soon for some jumping practice :grin:

I'll tell Mike about the mods suggestions. Why PC over FMF?
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I flat out performs better. Does not fall off as fast as the torque and makes more bottom than the rev. I had the RB carb, RB head and PC pipe nad people would say "THIS is a kdx motor?!" REALLY strong mid range punch. Hang on girl......

Many have had both many agree the PC just plain outperforms the 2 FMF's.

Seriously skip the FMF go straight to the PC and 304 silencer.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

Thanks, we'll look into some of the mods after I improve my riding skills a little. It's good to know that I have the abilty to give it more performance mods if we wanted to.
>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:I flat out performs better. Does not fall off as fast as the torque and makes more bottom than the rev. I had the RB carb, RB head and PC pipe nad people would say "THIS is a kdx motor?!" REALLY strong mid range punch. Hang on girl......

Many have had both many agree the PC just plain outperforms the 2 FMF's.

Seriously skip the FMF go straight to the PC and 304 silencer.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Cool, see you Jan at the races. I'll be on the boat anchor 250F. The EG race motor RM144 just would not be fair lol.

Enjoy the handling!
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
ebeck wrote:Cool, see you Jan at the races. I'll be on the boat anchor 250F. The EG race motor RM144 just would not be fair lol.

Enjoy the handling!
I'll be easy to recognize at the track...the water truck will be lapping me :grin:
art5

Post by art5 »

Lol You will do fine girl, get ebeck to help you line out that pipe shes hangin really low, the upper pipe mount should be able to atach to the frame up by the tank, and th pc pipe and silencer is a must do, it actually spreads out the power makes it a broader powerband,
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

I'll have Ebeck look at it at one of our races. Mike didn't want to dent the pipe too much where the power valve is because of fears of changing the performance. Honestly, I have no idea how he even got the pipe on. When I took the pipe out of the box from ebay and held it up to the bike I was like WTF!!??? He opted to rotate it counter-clockwise a little which had it hanging a little low and out the opposite side a little bit. When it comes time to get a new pipe this year we might find someone else to do the pipe cutting/fitting.

We are having a little trouble with the low end power..not sure if it's due to the main jetting. Our 1993 KDX200 runs awesome so we'll have to see what's inside that one. The 94 KDX200 motor is feeling a little anemic until the RPM's are up...hubby states it might be running a little lean. I also have a FRP torgue ring laying around in the garage..would this help ?
>|<>QBB<
art5 wrote:Lol You will do fine girl, get ebeck to help you line out that pipe shes hangin really low, the upper pipe mount should be able to atach to the frame up by the tank, and th pc pipe and silencer is a must do, it actually spreads out the power makes it a broader powerband,
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

With my 94, I upped the jets one step over stock and raised the needle and it starts and runs great.
ladyMXracer232

Post by ladyMXracer232 »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:With my 94, I upped the jets one step over stock and raised the needle and it starts and runs great.
Thanks, I'll let hubby know.