Having trouble understanding the SSS per RBs guide

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Having trouble understanding the SSS per RBs guide

Post by JZ05220r »

I am reading RB’s guide to finding the second sweet spot. Don’t understand why RB says that finding the second sweet spot is similar and to do the same fine tuning procedure as above. Wouldn’t the first paragraph be all that is needed to dial it in? Am I misreading this? ———————————-———-“Adjust the mixture screw in one direction only a 1/16th turn at a time. Blip the throttle, if it improved turn it another 1/16th turn and blip it again. If the direction you first started with makes it worse then turn it the other direction 1/16th turn at a time until you get the best response.[/b]Next get on the bike and run it in 2nd gear with the engine idling (low throttle setting with load on the engine and blip the throttle). Then try and adjust the mixture screw 1/16th turn at a time in both directions until you get the best acceleration off a closed throttle.

Finding the second sweet spot is similar, turn the screw out 2-1/2 turns and do the same fine tuning procedure as above. It’s a little tricky finding it and even a 1/16th turn can go right past it.” -RB Designs
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Having trouble understanding the SSS per RBs guide

Post by SS109 »

I don't understand that myself. The KDX is very forgiving on jetting yet performs way better dialed in. I just follow the jetting guide here on the forum. Once I find the highest idle I just richen it by 1/16-1/8 turn and leave it there for the day if I'm not doing huge elevation changes on the ride.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R