15 hours or so on my RB OEM carb

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

15 hours or so on my RB OEM carb

Post by treelimb »

Yeah I'm a little late in posting my review but I have put enough hours in to declare that MY MONEY WAS VERY WELL SPENT! I was running it without my airscrew properly turned for about half the hours and even then, the difference between stock and RB carb is night and day. I had one race, a 2 hour hare scramble, during the improperly tuned period and even then my KDX200 was a wildly ( in a really great way) different bike.

I have no idea what I was thinking or not thinking on the air screw adjustment. Upon realizing my incorrect number of turns, I set it 1.5 turns and started over from that point. WOW is an understatement even when considering how well it ran not adjusted properly. Then about the time that mistake was rectified, our (kdxrider.net) very own Entity was at the house and graciously helped set the sag on my KDX. Heck,that too was way off.

So. Now that new carb and 20 hour-ish new suspension is all working together, my KDX is a totally different bike. Regarding the RB carb, it pulls down so low that i actually forgot that I was in a gear higher (3rd instead of 2nd or 2nd instead of 1st) and i mean tractor pulling grunt with no burp/hiccup/bog and when accelerating the hesitancy to shoot forward is gone. It now has instant oomph. My top end has got to be higher but i can not say with absolute certainty. I can declare that i am moving so much faster,through certain sections i know well at Highland Park, that I forget that I am actually in a higher gear. DUH. Higher gear equates higher speed. My point is that my bike does a higher gear better now than it did a lower gear before my RB carb. make sense? It didn't to me for a short while until I realized what was happening. That is my point. The bike now performs so much better overall that I was smiling and enjoying my ride so much that i didn't think about the night and day difference I was experiencing.

Bottom line: BUY THE RB CARB whether to replace your decades old one or if you just want your KDX to get closer to it's full potential. what Ron Black charges is minimal compared to all the carb does for the bike. it is that simple.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: 15 hours or so on my RB OEM carb

Post by Goat »

Well said. I change elevations sometimes, but agree the bike always runs good. But when you get that air screw just right it’s a little beast.
Do you think you are you sitting at 2nd Sweet spot? I tend to be at about 15/16 out when the 3rd gear wheelies get solid.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Great write up, Treelimb, and I would have to agree completely! It just makes the KDX a different bike.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

To the Goat- I am not sure about sitting on the 2nd sweet spot but my bike is certainly running sweet. I do need to experiment more to perhaps find that spot.
That's what she said.
Now, to clarify my sheer ignorance regarding NOT starting from the appropriate air screw turns, again I was not thinking clearly for reasons unknown, excitement maybe from having my RB carb, I must give credit to our Entity once again, for asking me if i was 1.5 turns out.It was then I realized my newbie thoughts from a senior mind had not been coherent nor service manual and KDXRIDER.NET basics based.

Surely being 60 years old, I can be given a pass on such a glaring omission-

Now on to prepping my trusty KDX for tomorrow's race. I have 2 races to pull myself into a top ten out of 35 riders placement. i've missed 3 races due to covid (self quarantine,my wife is an RN that has had nothing but covid patients since last february and she finally tested positive once and another time work placed me on quarantine(( she hasn't had any positive patients for 6 weeks!!)) and a torn shock bladder) so I hope that by showing up the last two and placing better than I have thus far I'll reach that goal. currently 12 out of 35. :?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Here's a video of another time I helped him on a mechanical concern.

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Did you get scolded regarding your chain slack as well??? :lol: :grin:
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:27 am Mar 21 2021 Did you get scolded regarding your chain slack as well??? :lol: :grin:
Yes sir I am thinking that i did in excess of a decade or longer ago. I don't think I had gray hair at that time so it was a long while back. I reckon I saved a little on sprocket and chain wear over the years because of that dry witted info relaying as executed by the G.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

To the Goat : I am not certain, but I may have found that elusive 2nd sweet spot Sunday just after a rut and a limb introduced me the to the ground. As I was getting the lost breath back and slowly moving forward, I reached down and ever so slightly turned the air screw back a smidgen(as my wife would say) and man, my KDX was ripping and I felt as if I was throwing a roost here and there asI topped some of the big hills or coming out of a turn. Sunday, my time might not show it, was one of my best riding and fun races in almost 2 years. My bike was handling well and felt truly stout and I've owned this bike about 14 years or longer. Carb and suspension and a little bit of decent riding blended together for a phenomenal day.

The RB carb is ALL THAT forum members. It is hard to express how much different the bike runs now.