After years of procrastination

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

After years of procrastination

Post by treelimb »

I finally decided to aquire an RB modded OEM carb. From sending an email to and getting an email from Ron Black suggesting that I move quickly as the limited number of carbs he has will go quickly was about a day.So I mailed the money order that night. It took about 10 days to hear from him initially.
Turn around time was a week, which had to include the time it >|< took the money order to get to him. Incredibly fast! Extremely well packaged. Excellent and easily comprehended instructions on dialing it in. Beautiful carb.
I'll get it on this weekend and ride. I am very excited and looking forward to a different KDX under me ( or on me when I hit the ground) and will follow up with a report.
I am posting pictures so hopefully they'll show up.
Attachments
PXL_20210210_232407759.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210210_232407759.PORTRAIT.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 11485 times
PXL_20210210_232425740.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210210_232425740.PORTRAIT.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 11485 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: After years of procrastination

Post by bufftester »

Nice, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Cool! I think you’re gonna like it.
If you are on 200, I’d be curious where your jets end up for comparison sake.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

For the Goat-

These are the jets Mr. Black installed and included.
Attachments
PXL_20210219_013427294.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210219_013427294.PORTRAIT.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 11447 times
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Looks like it started same as mine.
I did find a 42 was accidentally installed.
So far, I settled in at 150/38, clip 2. And she’s a screamer.
But am willing to fiddle a little more.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
kick

Post by kick »

Glad you like the performance boost. I’m looking to purchase one myself.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

So your verbage really threw me off referencing she's a screamer. I encountered a little flashbacking that was not necessarily dirt bike related. I know, that's what she said.

Man, I'm hoping Mr. Black got the jetting close as I'm kind of lazy. But then since I feel my KDX200 needs help, I will go through the steps.
I'm gathering that an rb modded carb brought your kdx to life. Was there a crap load of difference with the new carb? I know that's what I've read happens but I haven't actually corresponded with an actual carb buyer/ user. Anyhoo I'll do my best to post my results. I'm just beyond elated that rb- designs aka Ron Black and I established communication and that I now own the real deal KDX mod.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Sorry I can’t give you good before/after from a stock bike.
Mine was running poorly (no top end) when I bought it. So I went straight for the RB purchase without trying to tune the original carb. (Now that’s $380 of lazy!)
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

RB's jetting is pretty close IME. I did end up up going one size smaller on the main and pilot and my bike runs crisp with no spooge.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by clappy379 »

I’ve tried reaching out to Ron without much luck to get one of his carbs, I sent a friendly follow-up after his initial response saying he’s only doing new carbs but haven’t gotten a response on committing to fulfilling a purchase. Crossing my fingers, I’m not too keen on other options for my 200 at least so far.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

I got carb on and dang there is noticable difference. Started 1st kick. Pulled from 2nd gear uphill strongly. Sounds great. No where near the smoke I had before.
I'll know more after tomorrow's ride with young riders on modern bikes.Beyond expectations after my 2 mile ride this evening into dark.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I would tell you when I have mine just right, it’s wheel up in 3 gears. Always 2, and runs good but that 1/16th on the air screw makes it feel amazing. You know when you got it.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

Sent Ron an email yesterday and have yet to hear back from him. Anyone know how long a response typically takes? Seems that OP was in communication in a day, but others here like myself haven't gotten an answer. Kinda sad if it's too late, MY KDX is like new and I really don't want to settle for a sub-par lectron over Ron's superior carb.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cornbread wrote: 02:54 pm Mar 26 2021 Sent Ron an email yesterday and have yet to hear back from him. Anyone know how long a response typically takes? Seems that OP was in communication in a day, but others here like myself haven't gotten an answer. Kinda sad if it's too late, MY KDX is like new and I really don't want to settle for a sub-par lectron over Ron's superior carb.
all you guys expecting Ron to jump like a starving Amazon reseller: :lol:

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Remember, Ron is semi-retired and I think leans closer retired end of it. Give him some time. There sure isn't anything we can do to change it.

Hmm, wonder if Ron would be willing to sell his proprietary knowledge on what he does to the carbs? It would be awesome if someone would carry on offering the same amazing product/service to the dirt bike world. Of course, I guess carbs are going to be a thing of the past as everyone wants FI on their bikes nowadays.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

I am thinking that my time line regarding RB Designs and the turnaround was misconstrued. I emailed Mr. Black weeks before I actually got a reply. At that point Mr. Black emphasized speed in my letting him know YES I want one and getting the money order to him, which that time frame was a long day. After work I sped to a money order seller(walmart) and dropped all info along with money order in the mail.

No need to rush a busy man. Evidently he only gets in x number of carbs to do his magic on at a time and those are grabbed/spoken for quickly.

THE CARBS ARE ALL THAT. My patience paid off royally as the RB Designs OEM carb transformed my KDX 200 into another bike that grunts lowww and highly rips.
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by clappy379 »

I can second treelimb. Ron did get back to me and I eventually got his attention. I quickly sent the cashiers check and I've gotten confirmation that he is sending me the carb, actually much quicker than I expected.

Hopefully you will have the same luck. Fingers crossed!
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

thanks for the encouraging posts, I'll wait it out and see if he gets back to me.
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

treelimb wrote: 08:16 pm Mar 26 2021 I am thinking that my time line regarding RB Designs and the turnaround was misconstrued. I emailed Mr. Black weeks before I actually got a reply. At that point Mr. Black emphasized speed in my letting him know YES I want one and getting the money order to him, which that time frame was a long day. After work I sped to a money order seller(walmart) and dropped all info along with money order in the mail.

No need to rush a busy man. Evidently he only gets in x number of carbs to do his magic on at a time and those are grabbed/spoken for quickly.

My experience has been same as above. I emailed several times last year with no reply but I received a reply just hours after sending an email earlier this month and couldn't get my money order to FedEx fast enough when he told me that he had some carbs coming. He is also doing his mod to the cylinder head ( I would probably have everything back had I initially sent him the correct cylinder head). My interactions with Ron and Robbie have been positive and I am looking forward to receiving a package from RB Designs sometime next week.