Should I RB before they’re gone or lectron

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
spencerdiesel

Should I RB before they’re gone or lectron

Post by spencerdiesel »

Hey all, I’m excited to be joining this forum! I’ve been researching KDX literature for a few months after deciding it’s the bike for me. I know I’m years late to the KDX game but I want to learn the best I can before KDX support fades.

Does anyone have reccommendations as to a new RB modded carb vs a lectron? I’ve read a few threads on here about the lectrons and it’s seems they have finally dialed in the fitment issues.

I love the notion of being able to meter and fine tune a set A/F ratio with an external adjustment, especially if the lectron is as crisp/ responsive as the RB.

However, having no real world KDX experience (or lectron or RB experience), I would love input of y’alls opinions and experiences with both carbs.

The reason I’ve made this post before even acquiring the KDX is I’m afraid the RB option may be gone soon, and if I decide that’s the route I want to go I’d like to order one before that happens.

I do have good knowledge and aptitude with jetting, as I’ve perfectly (as close as can be anyway) jetted my crf100 and rm125 via plug chops and cutting the plugs. Though once again, the external adjustments (I can tune via plug chops & make corresponding reference marks) sound so appealing.

Please educate me, and thank y’all!
Newbie to riding, currently have a ‘95 KDX200 and an ‘03 RM125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Should I RB before they’re gone or lectron

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Good luck on the KDX hunt. Good start to already know about plug chops.

Reminder: Full Editor, Attachments, Add Files, Place inline to add pics on here
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
spencerdiesel

Post by spencerdiesel »

Thank you!

I’m also semi settled on a PC platinum 2 if that has any influence.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Personally, I like an RB carb better than a Lectron but I have no direct experience with both on a KDX.

My RB carbed 220 has instant throttle response and, even though some will say they are more jetting sensitive, all I've ever done is raise or lower needle a clip depending on weather and elevation. Yeah, it's dialed in perfectly that way but it's damn close. I've never had spooge running out my silencer or fouled a plug. I ride in temps from about freezing up to 105 degrees and elevation of 1200 to 6500ft.

My Lectron experience is on my GasGas EC250. It has performed well and has been a set it and forget it kind of deal. However, I don't feel the throttle response is as crisp and responsive as an RB carb. That said, it could be I don't have it dialed in good enough yet and/or the Rekluse auto clutch is just making it feel that way. I think the Lectron would probably be best if you ride some serious elevation changes or just hate messing with jetting.

So, take what I say with a grain of salt. I would probably put the experience of those with Lectrons on KDX's over my experience.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Unfortunately, what you need is that magic someone who bought a new RB carb AND a Lectron AND swapped them back and forth AFTER perfecting jetting on both.

Otherwise...

"well... his RB carb was just modded, not bought new"
"well... did he have it jetted perfectly"
"I HAVE ONE AND I LOVE IT"
etc.
spencerdiesel

Post by spencerdiesel »

These are all great points. The main reason Im ever so slightly leaning towards the Lectron is I like to jet as close to peak power as possible for my "home riding" elevation of 3000 feet. If we ride in GA or SC I will be 1-2k lower elevation and be at the most dangerous point; the lean side of peak power.

This is no big deal as I know how to jet and can do so as long as I make time for it. Often our trips as above are semi spontaneous and short, kind of a "hey lets go to SC in the morning".

I can play safe by staying jetted for the lower elevation and being a little rich back at home, but I do like being jetted ideally as opposed to a rich compromise.

I guess having the luxery of an on-the-fly adjustable A/F ratio has got me a little excited. Also, doesnt the lectron allow one to have nearly linear (no steps/ transitions in circuits) response and eliminate intermittent 4 stroking/ rich blubbering?
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Get the RB carb.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
spencerdiesel

Post by spencerdiesel »

Picked up a very clean and seemingly low hour ‘95 KDX200! The reason I believe low hour is it has a kenda Millville rear tire, didn’t they stop making the original Millville like 2010?

Anyway I got a great deal because the PO couldn’t figure out why it ran ridiculously rich past 1/2 throttle, even with the needle clip in the top, said it had the stock 48/ 160 jets. He had his Kawi shop put new crank seals in it, but that wasn’t it.

Well lo and behold I rode the bike and it wouldn’t pull over 6k rpm WOT, smoked and 4 stroked like no other. Pulled the MJ out and it was a 180!!! Put a 40/ 155 in there and the major part of the issue was solved, albeit still rich on pilot and main (stock pipe).

Set float height to 17mm, removed the jet block and replaced the jet block o ring.

I took about 2 hours to decipher the keihin needle chart on the JetsRus website and ordered CEQ & DEQ needles based on my observations of the stock needle. I have the CEQ in right now and there is zero 4 stroking from 1/8 throttle on up, and no leak spots via plug chopping. I’ve also learned real quick how rich the stock #5 slide seems to be, as I’m down to a 35 pj and it still 4 strokes at 1/16 throttle.

Ordered a PC platinum 2 pipe, and emailing Ron for a new RB carb. Do all RB carbs come with the thumb adjustable air screw? Thanks y’all!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it going!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Mine came with additional jets but no adjustable screw. He does not make them anymore. JD makes a good brass one though. He will jet it for your location though so it should be close.
stnd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by stnd »

Vossman wrote: 10:54 am Sep 22 2019 Mine came with additional jets but no adjustable screw. He does not make them anymore. JD makes a good brass one though. He will jet it for your location though so it should be close.
Hi. What is JD? I am also looking for a mixture screw. Can the idle screw also be replaced on these PWK carbs to something i can adjust with my apparently weak fingers:? =)

Thank you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

2001 KDX 220r, I had stock carb and bike ran good but not as clean as I wanted, I was going to send carb to RB or Fredette and then I got advice from my riding gurus and all said go Lectron, I just installed LECTRON 34mm carb on my KDX monday, HOLY COW my bike feels like a 250 legit, it rips and is way more torque, I can be in 3rd gear stoped and roll the throttle and my bike RIPS, seriously, the idle is now perfect soudns like my KTM 300 as it idles, bike warms up faster, starts super easy, I couldnt be happier w electron, oh and by the way, I just installed out of box and thats it, it has run amazing, no tweaking, seriously get a LECTRON
RedstoneDC

Post by RedstoneDC »

kvkdx wrote: 01:48 pm Jan 10 2020 2001 KDX 220r, oh and by the way, I just installed out of box and thats it, it has run amazing, no tweaking, seriously get a LECTRON
Sounds like they got the fit dialed in then? Bolted up easily, etc nothing funky? Thought I'd read something about weird fit on the 220. thanks!
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

RedstoneDC wrote: 04:16 pm Jan 15 2020
kvkdx wrote: 01:48 pm Jan 10 2020 2001 KDX 220r, oh and by the way, I just installed out of box and thats it, it has run amazing, no tweaking, seriously get a LECTRON
Sounds like they got the fit dialed in then? Bolted up easily, etc nothing funky? Thought I'd read something about weird fit on the 220. thanks!
Yes, my mechanic buddy stood behind me and observed so I didnt screw up (he broke his wrist snowboarding and I am NOT mechanically inclined) We took it out of package and it was super tight, then we realized that I had a REED spacer on the bike, so we had to take that off and then with stock reed setup (not a spacer) the Lectron fit like a dream, easy peasy, I ordered lectron, new throttle tube and the longer throttle cable (it came with the lectron order) and Yes Lectron has made it fit very well. No issues, I fired bike up and with in 5 minutes of install was ripping down my street Ive watched VIDS on Lectrons for months and was very curious to see the actual diff on the bike, would it be noticeable
20200119_115957.jpg
20200119_115957.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 12951 times
?? Well I can tell you it greatly increase torque, especially cool is now in any gear, 4th gear dead stop I can roll throttle and lift front tire, bike NEVER did that w stock carb. And living in COlorado I can go anywhere and ride w no JETT worry