Ron Black

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Ron Black

Post by Indawoods »

Ron has been a great asset to the sport and KDX's everywhere. If you don't have your carb modded by this man... you don't know what your missing. The best way I can honor Ron is to create this little Q&A area for questions about this mod. Hell.... Ron may even answer a few! :wink:

Oh...and by the way..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

I have the air striker carb and the head mod this made my kdx a much better trail bike. I would recommend his work to everyone. :grin: :grin: :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've let many riders ride my KDX. Every one of them tells me that my bike is the best tuned 2 stroke bike they have ever ridden. The head/carb mods Ron performed on my parts is the secret weapon. There's no better feeling than lofting the front wheel in 4th gear with no more effort than having the courage to twist the throttle. Thanks Ron!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: '...the best..'

That's 'cuz they haven't ridden mine. :shock:

re: 'Great work from Mr. Black':

But wait!! There's more!!!

Yes, Ron does terrific machine work. It's about as pretty to look at as it is fun to ride! But he is also fast at getting your stuff done. You won't be waiting around for months OR weeks...wondering if your parts got dropped off the edge of the earth.

AND...he's a good guy, too. He will take the time to answer your questions (don't abuse the privilege!) and he will even work on 'stuff' that has already been less-than-stellar-worked-on by somebody else. Of course, there may well be some inherent problems with things of that sort.

Ron has worked on six of my carbs, several heads and has always done not just a fine job...but a perfect job. Every time.

I've spent decades dealing with boobs that don't have (they SAY they do) a clue as to what they are doing. And they do it poorly to boot!!

You will find nothing of the sort with Mr. Black. Ron is one in a million.

That's just a phrase... actually it's more like a brazillion! :wink:

THANK you Ron for all your help with my 'stuff'. Not a ride goes by that I don't appreciate the work you have done.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well after my first test ride this weekend with my RB'd head and RB'd Airstriker, all I can say is OMFG & WOW & HOLY SHEET !!!! :boogie: :supz: :shock: :grin: :mrgreen: :cool: :drool:

Like already said, Ron's work is a MUST. :bravo:

I will do a ride report when I have the time, just prepare yourself for alot of WOW's.

You da man Ron !!! :prayer: :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

I dropped my carb and head off at Ron's at 7PM Friday night and he had them ready for me to pick up by 3:30PM the next day.

I shoulda took them to him Saturday morning, and then spent a couple hours at Bob Rape-phere's Beaverton HondaYamaha Stealership making "the boys" think I would finance a Beta (that would have been fun!), and then swung back by in the afternoon to pick them up.

Talk about turn around. Thanks Ron!!
Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

Hey Guys,

I live in South Africa and am really keen on the RB carb and head mod! But it`s a leetle far!!! I have my own engineering workshop as it`s what I do. I`m self employed.

Is there anyway I can get some specs on the mod??? I know it`s a trade secret but please understand my position.

Regards

Steve :razz:
"It`s better to burn out than Fade away! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Head is standard 2-cycle squish stuff. Carb...You got me, but the man knows every little passage and nuance of the PWK.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You could send it to Ron....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ron doesn't send stuff to Canada, far as I know. Before you send anything TO him from out of the country..DO check.

Specs?

I understand your position just fine.

I also understand that what you're asking for ain't gonna happen.

How much time you figger Ron has spent with KDXs on his dyno to GET those specs? I know exactly how much. A LOT!

Oh...attached is the latest die specs for Intel's new 50GHz Tri-core 2GHz FSB 20W processor! Feel free to stamp out a couple hundred of 'em....

:hmm:

On second thought...maybe not.

You can take this as snotty and me being a jerk. That's OK with me.

True, you never know until you ask!! Now you know.

Cheers!

If you're interested in sorting out doodies and import/export hassles, I would be more than glad to send your carb and head to Ron from stateside (State of Jefferson) if you want to carry the freight back and forth. That way, Ron's all stateside, and it's no fret for him.

...IF he agrees to that.

Send it on over!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What carvr is suggesting and so generously offering has been done in the past for others outside the USA.

You don't have ANYONE in the USA who could handle the transfer over to Ron for you?
Last edited by skipro3 on 09:57 am Dec 07 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

We have some very thoughtful characters on this site, several . . .

SteveO, you're gonna enjoy Mr. Black's mods.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

Aah!! A true dirt biker site! Nope don`t think anyones been a jerk. The only hassle I have is that our SA Rand is sitting at about R7-50 to the dollar. So my price will be 7 to 8 times what you guys pay????

Thanks for the support guys, but as you`ll see I`m going to have save huge penny`s for this.

What does Mr Black Charge for the Mod?
"It`s better to burn out than Fade away! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What's gold at..an ounce, I mean? Is it R5500? I wouldn't think so. I mean..you folks had 1oz. KRs not too long ago, right? THAT would be a big chunk of change.

Maybe a 1/4oz. of gold would work.

Web says the Rand is 6.746-$.

Does that mean a gallon of milk runs you R20?

If there is a minimum wage...it's R50?

In which case it's all relative. R13-1400 ain't so bad if you're making R150/hr.

Another thought...maybe considering fees and such, it would be better cost-wise to round up the stuff here, get it modified and send it one way your way. There are all sorts of go-rounds..and they differ all sorts of places. Some stuff ski sent to AUS I recall was duty-free as long as the parcel was marked 'spare parts'..which of course, a carb and head would be.

Here's something to consider..your bike is an SR? Is your carb a small-bodied PWK? Do you run premix, or is your bike oil injected? Battery? Speedo?

Point is, I know his mods work on 'E' and 'H' models..US versions. SRs? I don't know 'bout that.

IF the mod is good-to-go for your bike, I'm sure something could be worked out. Maybe 10 cartons of D'Jarum Black Tea Kreteks would cover it? :wink:

Considering shipping and all...consider the one-way idea (get'm here..send them to you after modification).

I'm not up for sending you 'contraband' stuff with big red lettering that says, 'MEDICAL SUPPLIES, PLEASE RUSH!', meaning I wouldn't run afoul or around any legal crap that would get somebody in trouble. Other than that? Yep.

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't forget to figure in the finger-adjustable air screw!!

Hey! How 'bout this?

Dear Stev0,

What I want for Christmas is a small bodied PWK Keihin 35mm carbie, and a KDX head. Please send them soonest so's I can stick them under the tree before Christmas (crap..does that mean I'd have to go GET a tree?..Nah!! I'll just stick it under a big fir in the back yard!). Throw in a couple gold bullion bars for fun, and I'll have the best Christmas ever!

p.s.
Don't forget the return shipping label!!

HO-HO-HO!!

...and I don't live in AUS, so I can SAY that and not get thrown in jail!!! :cool:

Consider the source

johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

I find this thread very timely.

With 2 feet of snow in Québec (Canada), I am going through the usual tear-down/rebuilt process for my 220 (I call it my shrink!). Since I already have the EFM autoclutch and the USD forks... it now time for the RB mods (at least the RB head mod....not sure for the carb mod)

Anyways, I have one question for the RB gurus:

With the following specs, is it worth spending the extra $165 for the carb mod? I already have the 35 mm carb installed and the 33mm sitting on the shelf. In other words, is the head mod sufficient? My main objective is to get an immediate response when pulling out of thight turns. As well, unlike Skipro, my bike doesn't willy in 4th :oops: That would be nice....

KDX 220 2003
RB Head Mod (to come!!!)
FMF Woods
FRP ring (received, will try it next Spring)
Boyesen 607 (ordered, will try it next Spring)
Wiseco piston kit (of course)
Air box lid removed
PWK 35mm carb (1174 needle 3rd clip, 155 main, 42 pilot)
riding in the East Coast, about 500 ft above sea level.
I ride a wide variety of terrains but mostly technical/tight trails.

NOTE FOR FELLOW CANADIANS REGARDING SHIPPING: Last week, Ron sent me an e-mail advising that he will only send the parts back to Canada via UPS... In my case, UPS will charge $75 for shipping and brokerage fees if shipped by air and $50 ground... :cry: (of course this will vary depending where you live)

Also note that Canadians SHOULD NOT pay duties if the parts are sent in the USA for repair and returned to Canada. (The return shipping slip must include the original shipping slip and, ideally, an invoice or written statement indicating "Return of Customer supplied parts for repair). I confirmed this with our customs agency and succesfuly managed a similar transaction with EFM folks. I asked Ron if he would reconsider shipping via USPS but ... I guess he still thinking about it! Thats OK. Lots of snow here...

Thanks
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I could see doing the carb mod without the head mod but not the other way around

Being able to dial in the second sweet spot really transforms the bike

Still brings a smile to my face everytime I'm able to pull a hill in second or third gear with the motor barely turning any kind of rpm's. It just does not sound like any other 2 stroke I've ever heard. Sounds like it is going to bog and die but it just keeps going and going...
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

Canada Customs is not the problem. It the fact that UPS really screws people that order goods from the USA. MY last small shipment from RockyMountain carried with it $53.75 in brokerage charges....which is outrageous!!!

I order materials from abroad for my business and it takes NOTHING to get it cleared through customs. 15 min, at most. Personal stuff is even faster/easier.

USPS is much cheaper, in my experience, for small items like this coming to Canada. The boxes are usually REALLY beat, but costs are much reduced. For some reason UPS is pretty cheap to use when shipping to the US.

I am no fan of UPS....in fact I typically just decline to buy if I have to subject myself to the crap they bring to the transaction....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is DHL in Canada yet?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****