Best pipe for 220

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
ccain85

Best pipe for 220

Post by ccain85 »

I just picked up a completely stock 2001 KDX220. I’m planning on sending the carb and head to RB and I was wondering what the best pipe set up would be for those mods. Does the desert pipe take away from the low down grunt? I don’t want to loose that as it’s what I love about the bike. More top end would be nice without sacrificing low end. Does the RB mods help in the that regard?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Best pipe for 220

Post by Julien D »

You can think of the desert (rev) pipe as the woods pipe for the 220. You won't lose any grunt going from stock to a desert pipe. You'll actually gain a bit more everywhere, with the added bonus of a little extra up top. The woods pipe is simply not a good match for the power curve on the 220. Most who have tried it end up swapping fit out or a desert pipe.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Julien, your advice is one more confirmation that one of these days I'll have to trade (or sell) my woods pipe and try out the desert pipe on my 220. My bike came with the woods so its all I know and I'm happy with the bike but more top end without sacrificing low would be really nice.
Burtono

Post by Burtono »

I really should try the desert pipe on my 220 but with the woods pipe it is more stall proof than my 300. Also like John my bike came with the woods pipe and it is all I know and I am happy with it so far.
cornishwrecker220

Best pipe for 220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The type of riding & area you ride in will decide on what pipe suits your needs.
Tight single track, gnarly technical uphill trails where you seldom get out of 3rd or 4th gear then it's the 'woods' pipe that you'll like best as it enhances the bottom end pull that a 220 is already known for...
Fast wide open spaces, 6th gear flat out chasing your buddies then you'll want the "dessert" ...now the 220 is known to fall flat on its arse in the upper RPM range so to get the most out of it then you may want to go down a tooth or 2 on the rear sprocket to help with the top end performance ...also altering the timing slightly to give you a little more overrun toward the upper RPM range will complement the dessert pipe ....
Personally I've tried both on my 220 & prefer the woods pipe than the dessert ....bit like fat women or skinny :lol:
ccain85

Post by ccain85 »

I ride mostly forest. So woods single track and some open fire roads.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I ride hare scrambles and tight assed eastern enduros with my 220. I went with the woods pipe and a set of Boysen 2 stage reeds. Hard to believe I could be much happier. Even more low end with some 'snap' now. Even the woods pipe does seem to add some top end. Raced in a hare scrambles last weekend that had a lot of fast grass track in the course. I chickened out on the top end well before the bike did! With the old stock pipe I would typically reach that flat spot at the top of the 220 rev range. I don't now.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Certainly either pipe is going to be an improvement over stock, but I do firmly believe the REV pipe is a better match for the 220. I generally say woods pipe for 200, rev pipe for 220. Of course, every person is different, and may have different needs.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

If it helps confuse things, Jeff Fredette agrees with Julien going so far as to state on his website ‘cannot recommend the Woods pipe for the 220’ . Still, I since I rarely ride in the upper rev range and usually poop my pants if I do, the Woods pipe works for me!
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I went with the PCII pipe and like it a lot on my 220 after jetting. Pulls stronger everywhere bottom to top with a great mid..... including an increase in high RPM performance too.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Best pipe for 220

Post by canamfan »

PC or rev pipe you get some hit on top, woods pipe is very linear.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Best pipe for 220

Post by SS109 »

Another recommendation for the rev pipe. I don't get on the pipe very often as I ride a lot of singletrack and hike-a-bike stuff. My buddies are always amazed at how low my bike lugs without stalling. It has great low end but with a lot more top end when I need it and especially so with the RB carb and head mods. Check my signature for a link to my bike and how it's been built and links to my vids.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ccain85

Post by ccain85 »

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and ordered the desert pipe with fmf silencer.
SquachRider

Post by SquachRider »

I am curious about this too. Since I learned on a 4 stroke, and I have the KDX220, I am totally not used to riding the KDX as I learned in a xt250 lol, totally different I know. Instead of buying a different bike though I was wondering if throwing on a Flywheel Weight and gnarly woods pipe would tame it and make it tractor like. I know many of you say the KDX220 is tame already, but I learned on a little tractor of a bike, and I would like that chuggy-ness on my KDX.
SquachRider

Post by SquachRider »

Let's just say I would like it to feel more like a Honda XR. They don't have those here for sale because how awesome they are in the woods.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That would certainly accomplish it. The 220 is very 4 stroke like as is. I'd start with just the FWW, and then decide which direction you want to go with the pipe.
SquachRider

Post by SquachRider »

Julien D wrote: 03:15 pm Dec 28 2018 That would certainly accomplish it. The 220 is very 4 stroke like as is. I'd start with just the FWW, and then decide which direction you want to go with the pipe.
I think you are right on the money. Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will just stick with the Flywheel weight first, as adding the pipe might give it too much power again, when that is the thing I am not quite used to. I know KDX220 is quite tame compared to the other two strokes. It's just, i am not an advanced rider, and i never will be because I just enjoy riding for the sake of going outside and having fun. I don't really like feel like i am going to die lol, and the XT250 is really tractor like for what it is, but I would really like the KDX to be more similar to a 4 stroke, obviously it will obviously be missing certain characteristics but for me even the KDX220 has what I would consider a extreme power band. I know I am a sissy, but i feel like the KDX220 stock pushes me to my limits with regards to skill level way before the KDX has even come close to it's capability level, if that makes sense. Point is i guess is I feel like it's too much bike for me right now, and I am having a hard time building confidence on it.
Last edited by SquachRider on 05:10 pm Dec 28 2018, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you want to soften the power, consider going to different sprockets also. More in front and less in back will lessen the oomph.

You ride your way and enjoy it. No need to apologize for doing things YOUR way. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SquachRider

Post by SquachRider »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:09 pm Dec 28 2018 If you want to soften the power, consider going to different sprockets also. More in front and less in back will lessen the oomph.

You ride your way and enjoy it. No need to apologize for doing things YOUR way. :bravo:
That is a good idea too. Just one problem though, the guy who had the bike before me put a lower tooth in the front, and that was too much for me, so I put the stock sprocket size on, and now I find it difficult to chug up the steep hills here. I think the Flywheel weight would be the best first step.
SquachRider

Post by SquachRider »

Do you guys think a 10oz weight would be good to try first?