Fly wheel weight

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fly wheel weight

Post by jjavaman »

Hi kids! I find the back tire spinning to much after getting the mods done. Anyone running a fly wheel weight? Will a weight help much or do I need to just get used to the mods? I love it on fast stuff, just find in the tight stuff I'm lighting up the rear end to much?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fly wheel weight

Post by canamfan »

I don't use a weight maybe your gearing is to low, what gearing do you run. I'm using 13/49.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fly wheel weight

Post by ohgood »

jjavaman wrote:Hi kids! I find the back tire spinning to much after getting the mods done. Anyone running a fly wheel weight? Will a weight help much or do I need to just get used to the mods? I love it on fast stuff, just find in the tight stuff I'm lighting up the rear end to much?

it will definitely increase traction and prevent stalling at lower rpm, but it's not magic, if you tell it to spin, it will
cornishwrecker220

Fly wheel weight

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I run a 10oz Stealthy flywheel weight on my tuned 220 & its great. The bike still produces the same HP just not so snappy....perfect for those steep slippery climbs!
You can lug a low gear virtually to the point of past stalling, & it also seems to give the motor some extra momentum when climbing over fallen obstacles too....if you ride tight single track wooded areas & seldom get out of 3rd or 4th gear then a weight is ideal...it only takes minutes to fit & you can remove it just as quick if you don't like it .
'03KDX200

Re: Fly wheel weight

Post by '03KDX200 »

Also you might need to just add more traction to the rear wheel. That will keep you from "lighting up the rear end" also. I just put on the amazing and cheap Tusk Recon Gummy Hybrid tires on my KDX. Holy crap, what a traction upgrade! I literally have twice as much traction on both front and rear as I did running Maxxis motocross tires, and far better feel for the dirt too. Designed for low pressure too, which vastly increases your contact patch, which vastly increases traction. It feels perfect at 6 psi rear, 8 psi front. $110 for both tires.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yup, old thread. However, since it has a fresh post, I moved this topic out of the RB section as it really isn't an RB related topic.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I can’t say about flywheel weight, but had similar experience as 03, using the Kenda Equilibrium. I am also running 6psi rear in the woods, now. It about tossed me off the trail couple times, getting used to the traction.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I saw an interview of a hard enduro rider. They asked him what the biggest advancement in motorcycles were over the last 10 years. He said tires showed the biggest improvement.