What to run?

Got questions? We got answers....
rhody_romes

What to run?

Post by rhody_romes »

I just picked up a 2000 KDX200 and it is currently set up with 13 in the front and 51 in the back. I feel like I need to change it but am not sure what to change to. I ride mostly tight single track trails with lots of rocks and roots. First feels useless except for taking off. At the speed I'm comfortable riding I'm mostly in second and third. But, second feels like it's always winding out, too high in the RPMs and third always feels like it's bogging a bit with the RPM's too low. Any suggestions?
2000 KDX200
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What to run?

Post by canamfan »

I think 13-47 is stock I run 13-49 and like that for tight single track. A cheaper alternative might be to put a 14 on the front with your 51 rear.
rhody_romes

Re: What to run?

Post by rhody_romes »

I think that would get me closer to stock. Would that allow me to engage 3rd gear at a slightly slower speed and not have it be so low in RPMs?
2000 KDX200
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What to run?

Post by canamfan »

By dividing smaller # into bigger you get ratio. 13-51=3.92-1 ---13-49=3.76-1----14-51=3.64-1----13-47=3.61-1 So yes it would be between stock and 13-49 It would be geared higher more speed out of third, you would not be crawling in 1st.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

rotate the stator coil plate CW so the ignition timing is earlier which benefits low RPM power
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

rhody_romes wrote:I think that would get me closer to stock. Would that allow me to engage 3rd gear at a slightly slower speed and not have it be so low in RPMs?
You seem to be asking conflicting questions here. If you gear it closer to stock (smaller ratio number, taller gearing) you'll have more use for 1st, 2nd won't wind out quite as soon so you can stay in 2nd longer. However, that will mean you will need more, not lower, rpm to keep 3rd from bogging. If you want to be able to engage 3rd at lower rpm you're going to make 1st and 2nd (all the gears in fact) lower as well. At 13/51 you're already geared very low. Try focusing on riding smoothly and I bet you'll discover you develop the speed to carry 3rd without bogging. Good luck!
(BTW, FWIW I run 13/49 on my 220.)
rhody_romes

Post by rhody_romes »

doakley wrote:
rhody_romes wrote:I think that would get me closer to stock. Would that allow me to engage 3rd gear at a slightly slower speed and not have it be so low in RPMs?
You seem to be asking conflicting questions here. If you gear it closer to stock (smaller ratio number, taller gearing) you'll have more use for 1st, 2nd won't wind out quite as soon so you can stay in 2nd longer. However, that will mean you will need more, not lower, rpm to keep 3rd from bogging. If you want to be able to engage 3rd at lower rpm you're going to make 1st and 2nd (all the gears in fact) lower as well. At 13/51 you're already geared very low. Try focusing on riding smoothly and I bet you'll discover you develop the speed to carry 3rd without bogging. Good luck!
(BTW, FWIW I run 13/49 on my 220.)
Yeah, I guess I'm still working on a better grasp of the ratio concept and yes, smoother would be better in the long run. This bike is pretty much new to me (less than a month) and I'm still trying to get a feel for it. I had my last bike, which was a CRF230F, for a couple years and was pretty comfortable with it. So, I'm still adjusting.

I suppose if I could get more out of 2nd I'd be fine for the stuff I ride. At this point, where I want to be seems to be in between 2nd and 3rd with me shifting a lot and not being quite happy with either. So, yeah, if I could make 1st and 2nd a little taller then 3rd wouldn't even really be an issue. So perhaps closer to stock is the way to go.
2000 KDX200
rhody_romes

What to run?

Post by rhody_romes »

canamfan wrote:I think 13-47 is stock I run 13-49 and like that for tight single track. A cheaper alternative might be to put a 14 on the front with your 51 rear.
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. Thanks.
2000 KDX200