COLORITE OEM SPRAY PAINT '99-'03

Feedback on products.....
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

COLORITE OEM SPRAY PAINT '99-'03

Post by TwistedRoot »

I have been working on the sweet '99 I got from from woodselec. While Im doing a rebuild on the motor, I decided to freshen up the frame in some spots that were rusty and worn. Weather was around 60 degrees and sunny. I cleaned up the rusty areas with some light sanding and used 2 coats of Rust Oleum Metal Primer, before hitting these areas with the paint. Be careful as the green has changed slightly in the final years. I did confirm this was the correct match for this model year. There is a slightly different color used after those years, (maybe the Oracle knows?). I can say with confidence that this matches perfectly to the '99-02 OEM Kawi green. Im aware many of you guys do the whole powder coat thing, but it was way too much $ for me to consider with this build. i have already got the cylinder Nikasilled (Powerseal!), and waiting on some back ordered parts to complete the bottom end. I plan on using some frame guards to hopefully make to last a while. Anyway you cut it, boots will wear these areas down so keep that in mind. I paid around $22 for 1 can. A little pricey but it matches Im good with that. If you wanted to do the whole frame I would prob get at least 2 cans. I dig this KDX green!!! :kick: :boogie: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_4697-copy.jpg
IMG_4697-copy.jpg (488.81 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: COLORITE OEM SPRAY PAINT '99-'03

Post by KDXGarage »

Looking good!

I suggest a clear numberplate background "sticker" similar to the OEM frame protection piece (14090 reference number).

I used that on my 1993 KX125 subframe with "I can't remember right now" primer. I did not sand it all the way down to bare metal, just sanded it to roughen it up for the primer and paint to adhere better. It turned out a touch off compared to the frame. I didn't put in 100% effort and got less than 100% results. :grin: I am very happy with the results for what I paid. I have the Colorrite primer, paint and clear for my KX250. The price runs up quickly.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

That paint looks great!!
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Thanks Jason / John. The Oracle knows all!!! Yes I noticed the price can climb quickly on these restorations. I didn't sand too much but just tried to clean the metal as best as possible. After a few coats of primer it looked good so I sent it! If I were doing a total restoration, I would def have spent more time on the prep, but I think it came out a little better than expected. Even wifey said it looks great lol.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HA!!

It is easy to get sucked into attempting perfection.

In the grand scheme of things, paint protection may be better than prettiness. It won't help my physical conditioning or questionable line selection. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128