Ride 220 rear tire and Tusk Recon front

Feedback on products.....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Ride 220 rear tire and Tusk Recon front

Post by SS109 »

Just got new shoes for the KDX. Been planning on trying the Tusk Recon 90/100-21 front for a while now. I really like my current front, the Goldentyre GT216AA 90/100-21 "Fatty" tire, but I thought I should see if there is something that might be as good or better. Another big plus with the Recon is it's less than half the price ($44.99 vs $99.95) of the Goldentyre. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tire ... %AE-tire-p

For the rear I also wanted to try something new since IRC doesn't seem too interested in making 120 width VE33S for me. :roll: I was looking at various tires when I saw Kyle's video on the Dirt Bike Channel about this tire, it looked intriguing, so I just pulled the trigger and ordered one up. Size is a 120/100-18 and it's definitely a gummy tire! With shipping it was $71.99 directly from the company. Not a bad price, in my opinion, for a tire that is similar to the IRC VE33S and even more expensive gummy tires. https://www.220ride.com/

Ok, I haven't even mounted them yet as they just came in today. Might try to get them mounted tomorrow so I can get a little testing in on Sunday but who knows. Been working on an endurocross section for our club's annual race from 9am this morning until 6:20pm and still have to go back Sunday to work some more. I haven't ridden in two weeks due to all the race course prep. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll post impressions as soon as I get one! :mrgreen: I'll also be doing an initial impression and long term videos covering both tires in the future. For now, here's some pics.

newshoes.jpg
newshoes.jpg (181.14 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
220ride.jpg
220ride.jpg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
220ridetreadside.jpg
220ridetreadside.jpg (157.91 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
220ridetread.jpg
220ridetread.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ride 220 rear tire and Tusk Recon front

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I have the Recon rear on my 200. I love it. I haven't ridden it in the mud, but in the dry rocky stuff in the Sierras of Northern CA it works exceptionally well. When I purchased the tire it was around $60, which is tough to beat. I've never ran a "Fatty" tire up front, but it is on my "to do" list. I currently have a Bridgestone Battlecross X30. Nothing fancy but solid in most conditions.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
henrys
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by henrys »

I'm running tusk recon front and rear on my KTM and at less than $100 for the set it's really hard to beat.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

I just got my Tusk Recon mounted up front on my "'new" 200, but I haven't had an opportunity to ride here since it's been so damn cold/snowy. I watched Kyle's vid on the Ride 220 and might go with that one next for the rear. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on both tires!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The Ride220 tires are a hot ticket here in Washington (they're out of Spokane) and have heard a lot of good reviews, so look forward to hearing your experience (look slike they are out of stock on the gummy rears atm, prollay a good sign). I put an Artrax MX-Pro Front Tire 90/100-21 on last year, it's a "fatty" but not nearly as gummy as the Goldentyre. More of an intermediate terrain IME but does feel nicely planted in the woods.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

My initial video review...

'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Finally got my new tires mounted today.

The Tusk front was a tight fit going on and I couldn't get a good seal with Tubliss without Slime. If I end up using this tire going forward I would sand off the ridges on the inside of the carcass where the Tubliss liner meets the tire to get a better seal. It doesn't look as big to me as the Goldentyre GT216AA fatty all mounted up and on the bike.

The 220Ride gummy rear is by far the easiest tire I have ever mounted in my life. It spooned on with total ease and sealed with the Tubliss perfectly.

Can't wait to ride this combo tomorrow as we got some rain this morning and should have hero dirt. Of course, it won't be a great day to compare to my previous GT Fatty/IRC VE33S combo due to it but I'm sure it will be back to dry-as-a-bone conditions by next weekend when I can get a more fair comparison. I'll keep you posted!
'11 GasGas EC250R
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Good to hear about the 220 - that will be the replacement for my 505 cheater. I didn't even think about the ridges on the inside of the tire that could cause issues with Tubliss. So far, I only seem to lose pressure with the inner bladders, but that is slowly over time, so I can't really complain.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

First ride is in the books!

So far I'm liking the Tusk Recon front even though it's not as predictable as the GT216AA fatty. Well, maybe it's just that I'm not used to it yet. It just seems to let go with little warning compared to the GT. However, it just takes slight steering input for it to re-grip and all is well again. It also seems to steer a little quicker, which also leads to some twitchiness, but that could be due to the geometry change due to the taller rear tire. I plan to lower my forks 1mm and test some more. Starting pressure was 11psi with Tubliss. Plan on testing 10psi next ride. It shows no wear so far.

The 220Ride 120/100-18 gummy rear is also impressive. It is rather squirmy feeling but the traction is pretty excellent everywhere except in loose flat corners. In those situations I could easily get the rear to step out with a stab of the throttle. The IRC VE33S was better when getting on the throttle hard in a flat corner. Started at 8psi and might go up to 9 for the next ride just to see how it affects the squirmy feeling. Tire shows very little wear for a gummy after 38 miles. The IRC had me worried if it would make my 500 mile minimum mark after the first 38 miles whereas the 220Ride I think will make it with no problem.

Performance in the sand for both tires was excellent. I was impressed with the drive from the rear and the precision of the front especially since I'm a weak sand rider.

More to come as I get more miles on them.

'11 GasGas EC250R
HopFrog175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by HopFrog175 »

Thanks for the reports. I am rebuilding an old KDX175 and need to figure out tires - with little experience - so am following your evaluations with interest!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You're welcome! I'm happy someone finds the info useful.
'11 GasGas EC250R