LS2 MX470 Subverter helmet

Feedback on products.....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

LS2 MX470 Subverter helmet

Post by SS109 »

My Kali Protectives Shiva 2.0 helmet has been officially retired due to my recent crash (details here). To replace it I cast a wide net looking for my next lid. I looked at all the traditional motorcycle helmets and even took a serious look at downhill MTB helmets as well. For those that don't want to read this long post, my video review, with more info, is at the bottom!

After a lot of research I decided on the LS2 MX470 Subverter. One caveat, I ordered a European ECE only rated version over the DOT/ECE rated one found here in the U.S. Why? The European version is supposedly four tenths of a pound lighter. Considering my injury, and my now weakened neck muscles, a helmet being lightweight was very important to me. I also really like that it has an emergency cheek pad removal system. I bought the solid white version as to reflect most of the heat from sunlight and, hopefully, be just a bit cooler riding here in sunny Arizona.

Initial impressions after three rides on it, I'm very happy with my choice. This helmet is lightweight, comfortable, cool looking, and vents better than any other helmet I have ever owned or tried. Comparing it to my Kali, the LS2 is just a touch heavier but more comfortable and with far superior ventilation. Compared to the Klim F4, the best ventilated helmet I had ever ridden with until now, the LS2 is a lot lighter, has a much smaller shell size, doesn't catch branches on the vents, is much quieter at speed, and actually has better overall airflow. The F4 ventilated the back half of my head better than anything, including the LS2. However, I've never found any helmet that I could actually feel ventilation on the front half of my head, especially the forehead, until the LS2 Subverter. That is a game changer IMO.

The only negative, IMO, that I have with the helmet is the light colored interior and yellow chin strap. For me this means lots of cleaning to try to keep the interior looking clean. I just suspect lots of staining knowing me. I wish LS2 would just use a gray or darker colored interior and a normal black chin strap. There is a slight pressure point at the top of edge of the cheek pads but suspect this will go away after a little break in time and I don't notice it while riding.

I purchased mine from Italy through Motostorm.it. Price was $193.08 including shipping. That's almost $7 cheaper than buying from RMATV with free shipping! It did take a little longer to arrive than I expected but I do think it was worth the weight (did you see what I did there? LOL!) Any questions about it just let me know.

My video review is here: (video link posted for the 3rd time!)
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: LS2 MX470 Subverter helmet

Post by bufftester »

NIce looking lid, but I got to ask, what is up with helmet makers and visors? No one seems to make a visor that is down where it actually does you some good, it's like they've all been watching too many Red Bull freestyle videos. I absolutely hate the visor on my current Oneal helmet, it sits so high it doesn't block any sun, and you cant adjust it down to where it's useful. How's the ventilation on this one? Looks like it has some massive vent area.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have it positioned at the midway point on the adjustments and the visor is barely out of my vision when riding. Of course, I ride with a sort of head down/eyes up attitude. That said, the visor adjusts down pretty far. Here's a pic at fully down position.
ls2 visor.jpg
ls2 visor.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
Ventilation is the best overall of any helmet I have ever had the pleasure to try. You would have to spend a whole lot more to get ventilation that might be as good as this.
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I wish I could get my Oneal visor down that low, that and the crappy plastic screws that hold it on have all stripped, last helmet of theirs I buy. Nice to hear it vents well, the eyeport looks nice and big as well so goggle choice is less of an issue. Thanks for the review!
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Nice helmet, the ventilation system looks great for summer. Liking the extra contour above the collar bone area and the ease at which the interior padding can be removed for cleaning. Technology keeps moving forward and the newest generation of helmets helps keep us safer than in the past. Wonder how well the design would control any rain you may encounter, enhancing the cooling effect! Great video too
Restore rather than replace
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Over a year now and still loving this helmet. I've only had one issue at it's really my own fault. The plastic support piece on the liner, that locks it in to the helmet at the front, broke in half. I wash it with my other gear in my washing machine and I forgot to put it on the gentle cycle. Oops. I have repaired it and it is still working fine but I do plan to order a replacement to have on hand.

BTW, I forgot to put up my previous Youtube update on this helmet and I just posted a new one as well.

1 month review

1 year review
'11 GasGas EC250R