Knee guards...

Feedback on products.....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Knee guards...

Post by 6 Riders »

So, my story first.....
I started riding, at the prime age of 37, and have always used "cheap" or inexpensive knee guards. I eventually bought a set of really cheap knee braces, but the neoprene type, kind of like the ones that you can get at your local pharmacy, but with a knee cup. These "braces" did have an aluminum dual pivot hinge system and worked well to help with my arthritic knees, but eventually wore out and became useless. Now my knees have gotten better. They don't usually start to hurt until AFTER I stop riding for the day, before it was at about the 15 mile mark. With my "elCheapo" braces/guards being toast, I started to use my old "standard" knee/shin guard, I think that mine are Thor branded, but you can get these for about $15 at just about any MC parts dealer, pretty standard stuff. They do protect your knees and shins from hits, even really bad ones. I've ripped holes in my pants hitting stumps with these things on and there was no damage to my knees, a little pain, like hitting your thumb with a hammer, but nothing lasting or permanent. I could even walk after words, so they do their job. The problem that I started to have, or had but didn't notice at first because my knees actually hurt that bad, is that they would literally rub the skin off of my knees. A whole new pain, during and, especially, after riding. Sometimes the pain would be so bad that I could barely ride for any amount of time and would take them off. Maybe it's my new riding pants that caused this, but whatever, it's painful and I needed something different.

Now, for my review......(thanks for reading the "wall of info" first).

I went to my (semi) local, but absolute favorite dealer. I tried on a slew (5 brands) of "hinged" knee guards. All of these priced around $80-$100. The last pair that I tried on where the EVS EPIC knee/shin guards. These things look HUGE, like actual knee braces, but made of plastic, so there is no joint support in these. They fit so well and were easy to fit and adjust, so I bought them. $80 is what I paid, but I did ask for a discount, they retail (MSRP) for $90.
On to the first ride with them.....
WOW....Talk about comfortable! Not only are they comfortable, but they are cool (as in not hot) and don't move around. Fitting them with my boots for the first time was easy as fitting the cheap guards. Now, they are hinged with dual pivot points and use 3 straps to hold them in place. Once the straps are adjusted, they have a clip system to attach the straps to the opposite side of the guard, so they always fit the same after they are set the 1st time.
These are easy to use, comfortable, cool (my knees didn't sweat at all in vented pants) and after a few miles of riding, you forget they are there...except that you are looking for +/-'s about your new $80 knee guards. These are an awesome product for us wood riders.
I haven't tried bashing my knee on anything (I'm sure that I'll get the opportunity soon enough), but the shin plate completely covers the shin up to the lower knee, the kneecap cup is big and easily covers the kneecap when standing, sitting and moving around. There is also an upper thigh guard, but I doubt this has any advantage besides being an attachment point for the straps but is not uncomfortable.

Pics (I took these w/o help, so they are not great pictures);

Inside

Outside

Side shot, knee bent

Front shot, knee bent

Side shot, knee straight

Front shot, knee straight

Overall a nice guard, I give it a 4 (out of five) star rating. It's not a brace, but hinged like one and comfortable. I take away one star for price, but you're not going to find much better at this price point.
Link to EVS's page.....http://evs-sports.com/index.php/epic-kn ... guard.html
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Knee guards...

Post by Jaguar »

thanks for the great review. very helpful
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Knee guards...

Post by Keystone »

What are the sizes like? Are they a bit oversized, undersized, just right?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Knee guards...

Post by 6 Riders »

Keystone wrote:What are the sizes like? Are they a bit oversized, undersized, just right?
They come in Small/Medium and Large/XLarge. I didn't even come close to the Small/Medium size, I'd assume that size is for women/kids. The L/XL fit great and would accommodate legs much bigger than mine.....I consider my legs to be average.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Re: Knee guards...

Post by Bitteeinit »

Good review. Do you mind taking a seamstress' measuring tape around your calf, knee cap and mid/upper thigh? Just to get an idea of the size. Yours seem to fit pretty snug.

Is there a soft area between the knee cap protector and the shin protector? In the first picture it looks like there's a good 5cm gap between the two pieces of plastic (while sitting/bending the knee).