Ultrasonic Machine

Feedback on products.....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Ultrasonic Machine

Post by KDXohio »

Anyone use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean carbs or any other parts for that matter?

I had a buddy clean a carb I got for another bike and I had to order one after I got it back.
So now I'm wondering what cleaning solutions you guys recommend?
he said he mixes his own with dish soap and distilled water
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ultrasonic Machine

Post by bufftester »

I used simple green and water mixed 2:1 when I had my ultrasonic cleaner. Never should have sold it....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I was amazed the carb looks brand new he said he used to throw away carburetors on small 2 cycle equipment bc you just couldn't get them clean enough till he bought that. Mine comes tomorrow Ill probably just start cleaning everything in sight!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What kind did you get?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Kendal comercial 3 liter
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I use simple green with the heat function activated. Perfect results every time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Simple green degreaser? I see theres a few different simple green products
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, the HD cleaner/degreaser is what I always used, cleans well and won't harm the rubber gaskets/seals
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Simple green can be corrosive.I use dawn dish soap and water from the reverse osmosis system only because its free of calcium common in the water where I live.important to use the heat function also.Make sure you blow it out really good with compressed air right after it's done.The aluminium/zinc will corrode with white rust very quickly if not dried completely.I use a Hornady model common in the firearms industry.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Simple green all purpose cleaner. Never had an issue with it corroding. Parts are in the mix for a relatively short time, thoroughly rinsed and then blown with compressed air. I've seen tons of guys use the stuff, including mechanics in the pro paddock. Doesn't mean it's right, just curious if you've experienced corrosion as a result of using simple green.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sullyfam wrote:Simple green all purpose cleaner. Never had an issue with it corroding. Parts are in the mix for a relatively short time, thoroughly rinsed and then blown with compressed air. I've seen tons of guys use the stuff, including mechanics in the pro paddock. Doesn't mean it's right, just curious if you've experienced corrosion as a result of using simple green.

I've seen it cause "blotching" on aluminum myself. Nothing huge, but if you want aluminum to shine, I wouldn't use SG on it.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

6 Riders wrote:
Sullyfam wrote:Simple green all purpose cleaner. Never had an issue with it corroding. Parts are in the mix for a relatively short time, thoroughly rinsed and then blown with compressed air. I've seen tons of guys use the stuff, including mechanics in the pro paddock. Doesn't mean it's right, just curious if you've experienced corrosion as a result of using simple green.

I've seen it cause "blotching" on aluminum myself. Nothing huge, but if you want aluminum to shine, I wouldn't use SG on it.

What would you use?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You're not going to use an ultrasonic cleaner to make aluminum shine, most things you would stick in it (i.e.: carbs) are cast pieces and aren't going to shine unless you put a wheel to them. Simple Green full strength can cause some blotching, but I never use it full strength, always diluted 2 parts water to 1 part SG, couple of 10-12 minute cycles, blow dry immediately. Never had any corrosion.
jake404

Post by jake404 »

I stripped the finish off a carb using 100 percent simple green, I now dilute it and rinse in water as soon as I am done. I have the little cheap ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight, but I am going to be getting one big enough to put a set of forks in.

Jake
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums, jake404. For its size and function, were you happy with the Harbor Freight model?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jake404

Post by jake404 »

for it's size and price I am happy with it. I got it on sale and I had a coupon so I didn't pay very much for it. BUT I am going to get a bigger one with more power. I want one big enough to stick a shock body in. I was at MX-TECH and Jeremy showed me his and it was awesome it took a old crusty filter and made it look new, but I think he said he paid 30 grand for that one.

The forums have been a wealth of information, so I thought I had better join and contribute and not just be a lurker.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Shock body? Brake cleaner, followed by a rinse of Maxima Suspension Clean.

He's real nice.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jake404

Post by jake404 »

I am always trying to toss things in the ultrasonic that don't fit, so I need a bigger one. My girlfriend has very bad reactions to most spray cleaners, she used to be middle management at a very large window company and the chemicals that they used made her hypersensitive. So I try to keep the shop GF friendly so that she can come help out. I do enough shock and fork rebuilds that having a bigger ultrasonic would pay for itself in saved chemicals and it would be better for environment.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ultrasonic Machine

Post by Dekon »

Make your own, LOL. I love this guy's videos.