A new bike?

Feedback on products.....
Brom32

A new bike?

Post by Brom32 »

My sister got a new bike (ktm 105 sx) and we are obviously going to do some mods for the trails. I have rode that and a ktm 300 exc. I kind of fell in love with the KTM's. I love the kdx but it doesn't feel the same.

Basically I am wondering if a switch to a 200 or 250 exc or sx will be good choice. Love the kdx200 but I think I could become a better rider with a ktm.

What are your thoughts on the difference between them? Anything else I should know?
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: A new bike?

Post by diymirage »

your comparing the KDX with a bike that is 10-15 years younger and 10-15 times as expensive to buy and maintain

what are the mods that have been done to the KDX ?
it is definitely capable of being competitive with the newer bikes if properly set up and especially in longer rides the comfort of the KDX over just about ANY other bike out there will keep the rider from getting fatigued

I think you will find that for half the investment it would take you to get a KTM you can have the KDX set up to be competitive with said KTM

now, if you really want to become a better rider take the seat off the bike...you'd be amazed how quickly you learn
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

I know for a fact that you are totally correct. If I upgraded to the KTM it wouldn't be this season. It's just that feel of the KTM's that make it feel like you are riding on a cloud.

And that orange... Lol
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

For mods I only have a pro circuit platinum 2 pipe and I believe the last guy re-jetted it. I do the regular maintenance (oil, air filter, etc.). I want to get a better suspension setup but just haven't got around to it.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

get a set of USD forks, get them revalved for your weight and riding and then be sure to have the rear suspension set up right and that KDX will blown those pumpkins away ;)

kashola
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

A new bike?

Post by kashola »

If you don't mind following the herd and money is not an issue, the KTMs are a very good bike right out of the box. As stated earlier, you're comparing almost 20 year difference in technology (apples to orange(s), so to speak). USD forks on your KDX will help tremendously. A hybrid is a whole different animal. It's amazing how much better they are. Definitely the bike that shold have come from the factory. That being said, this is the best riding advice you may ever get,
diymirage wrote: now, if you really want to become a better rider take the seat off the bike...you'd be amazed how quickly you learn
It took me a long time to figure out that my bike was not the reason I was so slow.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

after riding many other bikes, it's almost impossible to dismiss a kdx thats been set up proper. yes, there are other bikes with better ergonomics, more power, better suspension, blah blah blah, but there is a reason the KDX is so widely liked, and still even raced. I've been on rides where the other guys will talk a whole boatload of **** about my "girls bike". when the going got tough, I was running over them on the trail. When we started drag racing down long gravel roads, I wasn't far behind, then around 65, most of them ran outta gearing. at the end of the day, I wasn't even on reserve, they were outta gas. When it came time to load the bikes up, every single one of them were bitching about how tired they were, while I lifted my bike up on the MX carrier without a worry.

If there was ONE bike that continually whooped my ass, rider aside, it is the ktm 300 exc.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Over the last couple of years, I've seriously thought about getting a KTM200. That electric start could help, as I'm getting older and ride sick trails where I often have to start the bike in weird situations, like left leg starts on off-camber very narrow deer trails, etc. I ride solo, and there are sometimes issues with trying to start the KDX when there's just not enough room or flat area to get into position.

The KTM's are very tall - for really tight stuff that can be an issue, even the 200 exc's are tall for many riders - and most need an aftermarket seat for trail riding comfort. The newest KTM 200's are fairly light, about 220 dry, and have electric start - they also have a lower seat height of about 37" +. But...they are about $8400 OTD here in california. If you have a well setup KDX, I can't imagine that the KTM would be money well spent, as the power and rear KTM PDS suspension would not be that superior for trail work, IMO. My suspension is dialed, and I give up less than 10 pounds of bike weight to a new KTM200, and I don't have the electric start. Other than that, the differences are relatively minor.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

It's all in the setup. A new bike may not be setup for you, and likely would need at least springs. And you rode a dialed in 300, not an out-of-the-box 200. The newer bikes work better when ridden aggressively, and the KTMs have a reputation for seats like a board. So add $500 for suspension work and $200 for a new seat on that new scoot and you are ready to go. You can do a lot to a KDX for a lot less than 9k.

Spend your money on practice time and you may be further ahead.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

A new bike?

Post by SS109 »

Brom32 wrote:...but I think I could become a better rider with a ktm.
Tell that to the rider of a '11 KTM 300XC (with every bell and whistle he could put on it!) that I smoked with my pre-rebuild, worn out '90 KDX200 with tuned KX front and stock rear suspension! Image

Sorry! The only way to be a better rider is through practicing proper riding techniques and learning which one to employ at any given time when on the trail or track. You can get a lot of practice in (fuel, maintenance parts, travel expenses, etc.) for what a new KTM, and then getting the suspension tuned, will cost you. Now, if the KDX just doesn't work for you, or you just want a new bike, then go for it! However, it won't make you a better rider! Only you can make you a better rider!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A new bike?

Post by diymirage »

SS109 wrote:[quote="Brom32 However, it won't make you a better rider! Only you can make you a better rider!

and make sure it has a spark arrestor because only you can prevent forest fires :lol:

gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

This makes me think of a time I rode a buddy's quads, I think a trx 300 and a 400. I could whip and muscle the 300 around and had a lot of confidence that made me think I could easily ride it to its potential. The 400, I was barely hanging on even though it was a newer and better machine, but I did not have the technique to ride it.

We all love our KDXs, but you may find a bike that works better for you. Just don't assume new is better. I have run down and passed lot of newer and bigger bikes in the woods on my trusty old barney bike. My brother in law has a 2014 KTM 300, and I finished way ahead of him in the last race. Like with the 300, on the KDX you are on the gas when other bikes are on the brakes. Lots of riders say a 125 teaches technique because you have to keep working to go fast. And the KDX is a bigger 125.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250