'04 KDX220R throttle stick/needle jet

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Sladep

'04 KDX220R throttle stick/needle jet

Post by Sladep »

Hi,
My '04 220R on rare occasions sticks the throttle wide-open. It is not the throttle housing, cable, routing or slide or any components therein. On very close inspection, the needle jet (not jet needle), looks to have a pit worn in it from where the end of the needle would have vibrated back and forth after many long hours on the track, and when the throttle is wide open, the needle vibrates and rotates, and rarely gets stuck in there, hanging the throttle and slide wide open.

1) Unlike other Keihins or Mikunis, I do not see any way to remove and replace the NEEDLE JET (not jet needle). Does anyone know if the needle jet can be pressed out and an exact replacement in the proper size purchased and pressed in? I would like to just buy a replacment needle jet and jet needle and put this carb back in service and go.

2) If not, and a replacement PWK33mm carb needs to be purchased, how can one get the proper NEEDLE JET in the carb and which one is closest to the OEM 220R supplied NEEDLE JET?

Many thanks in advance!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: '04 KDX220R throttle stick/needle jet

Post by Slick_Nick »

It can be replaced. I don’t know where you’d get one, I made one years ago from some brass stock, mind you that was just for a TTR or something.

To remove the old one, tap it, thread in a bolt and use a slide hammer to gently tap it out.
'00 KDX 220R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: '04 KDX220R throttle stick/needle jet

Post by MoonStomper »

Try calling Jeff Fredette, probably has an idea on where to procure the replacement after your slide-hammer job.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA