35mm air striker help

A reference for the PWK carbs...
woodsrider220

35mm air striker help

Post by woodsrider220 »

So i bought a 2002 kdx 220 for my 14 yo son to ride!
First ride out in the woods and he crashed it into a tree and broke the headlight shroud :? He said the throttle stuck open. It happened twice to him that day.

So i replaced the throttle cable and took it the kdx out myself for the day. After about an hour, i was loving the bike and ripping pretty quick through the single track when the throttle stuck. Caught me off guard and i launched it over a berm, then bailed and ghost rid the bike. Luckily i only sprained my leg a bit. Rode the rest of the day, ready to stab the clutch if it happened again.

Upon inspection of the carb it looks pretty worn, the slide has a lot of wear. So instead of trying to chase down the cause, I bought a new airstriker 35mm for the bike.

The AS comes with a 4.5 slide. Can any jetting gurus help me with a starting point????? leaving the 4.5 slide in there. i Dont want to use the old worn one and new ones cost over $100.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 35mm air striker help

Post by John_S »

I have a 220 with a 35 Air Striker with 4.5 slide (Florida heat at sea level). I've ran it with the #5 slide from the 33 carb and can't tell any difference so I kept the newer slide in.

RB head mod
VForce reeds
FMF exhaust
Snorkel removed, air box lid on
18mm float height (that made all the difference vs the 16mm float height)
40 pilot jet
Air Screw 1.5 turns out
DEK, CEL, or JD Jetting red needle all run best on the 2nd clip from the top
148 main jet
When it gets "cold" in Florida, either putting the snorkel on or going to clip 3 with a 150 main works. The pilot jet stays the same.

Jetted like that the plug chops and overall plug appearance is good (a little rich) with no lean bogs or rich stutters. Inside the tailpipe gets wet but nothing runs out. That's with either Maxima 927 or lately Honda HP2 at 40:1. I fill it up with gas after 5 hours of engine run time and it usually has at least an inch of gas left in the tank. That's with 3/4 off the pipe and 1/4 on the pipe riding.

Hopefully that helps get you in the ballpark. If your stock carb has stock jetting then I would clean and use those jets 42 pilot, and 148 main with the new DEK needle in the 3rd clip for a baseline and follow the jetting guide listed here on the site.
woodsrider220

Re: 35mm air striker help

Post by woodsrider220 »

Thanks John_S for the excellent info. :supz: :supz: Just waiting for the carb to show up at my door.