needles

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

needles

Post by Lumpy »

I have been chasing a very rich condition with my first KDX.

running 50-1 amsoil premix, Carb completely rebuild including new jet block gasket. I am in need of going down 1 size on my pilot from a 40 to a 38 , my main is a 142 and spot on with a plug chop test. I just ordered a CEL needle based on everyone's recommendations and it still ran very rich and sluggish in the 3rd ( middle Position) clip.

I moved the clip to the 1st clip ( top Position) Man did the bike wake up and ran extremely well. I cannot believe that this little change in clip position made such a huge difference. Now the real question ..... I obviously need to move to a leaner needle because I am at the end of adjustment but my understanding of needles is limited . I like the MX style hit of the CEL . I think that is the C in the CEL . What do I need to move to a leaner needle ?
fzrcraig

Re: needles

Post by fzrcraig »

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If the CEL on clip 1 runs just how you want but also want more adjustability for the future then you would want a CGL needle. A CEL on clip 1 is the same as CGL on clip 3.
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Lumpy »

wondering what a BGL would get me ?? This bike was running soooo rich before , the more I lean it out the more it wakes up. really wish I had another KDX 200 that was tuned to give me a baseline. I know I need to be sure I am not to lean but the more I tweak the better it gets .
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

What's your altitude, sounds like your pretty high up.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I think you should stick with the C needle for now. You're on CEL clip 1 and may not have reached the full potential of the C taper needle yet. One step leaner is CGL clip 2 and you may find thats too lean and you're good with CEL-1. As much as I've read on this site about KDX jetting Ive never seen anyone rave over a B taper unless it's someone who is talking about the stock needle being just fine. I think they think it's just fine because they haven't tried another needle yet :-). CGL can be found on eBay for about $10 with free shipping.
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Lumpy »

thanks guys , ordered the CGL needle and We will see what I get on the clip #2 . Altitude here in Michigan where I ride is 500-1500 ft not an issue.
HerptyDerpty

Post by HerptyDerpty »

I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm curious what you have figured out for your needle/jetting since I am also located in MI. Did that CGL needle work out? I still have the stock carb setup and it runs pretty obviously rich.
Garage:
1989 hybrid kx125 chassis w/ kdx200e engine
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Lumpy »

I quit chasing the old carb and bought a brand new one from jets r us and could not be happier. ended up with the cel needle on clip 2 and leaned out the pilot jet and main jet more than I thought was normal . cant remember the exact config but when spring breaks I will let you know. Were are you located ? I'm in the Lansing area.
HerptyDerpty

Post by HerptyDerpty »

I'm in Grand Rapids. Looking forward to hearing what setup you ended up with
Garage:
1989 hybrid kx125 chassis w/ kdx200e engine
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c