DEL needle, where to start?

A reference for the PWK carbs...
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Hi guys, I just ordered a DEL needle, along with a PC2 pipe, and was wondering where to start with the needle clip position. The bike is a 98 KDX200. Brand new top end, boyesen 607 reeds, 36:1 premix running between 600-800' ASL. Temps will be in the 30's. currently the bike has a fmf desert pipe jetted 45pj, 158mj, and needle clip in the middle.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: DEL needle, where to start?

Post by Julien D »

The middle is fine to start out, but you're going to need to drop the size on both your jets most likely. The DEL will be richer overall than the stock KAWI needles, but it has a better curve. After you put the needle in just run through the jetting steps. You'll probably end up a couple sizes down on both main and pilot.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

+1
Don't be afraid to try the 4th clip as well. One might expect it to be too rich for that needle profile, but both my kdx 200(woods) and 220(pc2) are happy with that configuration (maybe it's me that's happy?) at similar elevation and temps.
Oh, and don't expect that PC2 to feel much different than your desert. Other than maybe sounding a little crisper. The needle will be the major player here in terms of any personality change.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

CAL-kawi wrote:+1
Don't be afraid to try the 4th clip as well. One might expect it to be too rich for that needle profile, but both my kdx 200(woods) and 220(pc2) are happy with that configuration (maybe it's me that's happy?) at similar elevation and temps.
Oh, and don't expect that PC2 to feel much different than your desert. Other than maybe sounding a little crisper. The needle will be the major player here in terms of any personality change.
Really? I had read the pc2 pipe was more like the gnarly woods, emphasizing low end. Does is not?
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Supposedly more off the bottom than the original PC pipe, (which I've never tried) , that from all accounts was a real rev happy pipe. I'm not convinced that they changed the pipe profile at all, other than the heavier gauge of the pc2. But just speculation there, what I do know is that the pc2 profile is very similar to the fmf desert in both shape and diameter. It revs out much better than the fmf woods, with more mid- hit and top end pull, but a little less off bottom. One direct comparison I read somewhere said the pc2 revved very close to the desert, with a little more bottom.

Either way, you're going to end up with a very nice setup once you get your jetting dialed. I'll be very curious to hear your first hand comparison of the two pipes. And definately try the 4th clip position if low end is what you're after.
Ed5786

Re: DEL needle, where to start?

Post by Ed5786 »

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll have the pipe right away, there's some issues with the company I ordered it from. But I'll def give both needle positions a try. I may just cancel the order on the pipe and send the head off to RB and try to get a little more bottom end that way
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing