*** KX, KDX Caliper and brake line Bulletin ***

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

LOL :grin: yeah even the wheel was KX250 although the thought of me going through your head tryin to smash the kdx wheel on with a rubber mallet made me chuckle :lol:
If at first you dont succeed.. Then push the other guy of his bike!!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I thought of this some more. Did you try loose-fitting everthing before installing the wheel?

What I mean is before putting the wheel on, loosen the top triple pinch bolts and only tighten the bottom triple pinch bolts enough to keep the forks from falling out.

Then install the wheel, still only tightening enough to keep stuff together. This way can you can turn the forks and get everything to line up nicely. Give the suspension a couple "hows-your-father?" compressions. Now tighten down the wheel and pinch bolts to torque specs.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

Good shout, worth a try i think i tightened everything down so i will go back undo everything then fit it loose if that dont work ill be back lol but i hope that will fix it.

Thanks

Virtual Varmint :grin:
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

I think i might have figured it out, after loosening everything off and tryin your method Virtual Varmin. I kept thinking to myself its gota be something to do with the axel spacers so i went on to Ronayers Fiche catelough to find out the part and its size for the 04' axel
heres the link http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... /Front_Hub

It sais that the LH axel spacer should be 29mm and the RH 19mm well i just measured mine up that were supplied with the wheel and it turns out that the LH axel spacer is 35mm and the RH is 19mm so looks like im going to have to machine down that LH spacer to make it fit.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Did you mean axle, referring to the shaft that secures the wheel, or did you mean Axel, the Scandinavian word meaning "Father of peace"?

:lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Normski84

Post by Normski84 »

Thanks for picking me up there Brian well pointed out. It just so happens i was refering to Axel the Scandinavian word for "Father of Peace" 10 points for you! and not the Axle that secures my wheel to my forks. LOL

:wink: :lol:
heckler

Post by heckler »

my 2005 KDX caliper fit perfectly onto the 2006 KX450 fork, and the brake line bolted right in place on the KX fork guards. Just needed to adjust the position of the plastic tubing covering brakeline.

The previous owner had already cut away the inside of the fork guard to make a little space for the brake line to run on the inside of the forks in the same way as the KDX.

Just saying...
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: *** KX, KDX Caliper and brake line Bulletin ***

Post by 6 Riders »

One update to the brake line problem, that I recently discovered. If you are going to buy a new brake line and want to go with the KX routing, you have 3 options that will all cost about the same or similar.
1) The 97 KX line routes different than the "newer" lines route, it can be used with the KDX caliper and be routed under the fork leg. You will still have the problem of the upper line routing though.
2) Buy a used KX caliper with line ( I went this route and am sorry now) You may find yourself cleaning out old brake fluid junk and spending time and $$ repairing the caliper and/or master cylinder.
3) Custom made brake lines. I had one made for the rear brakes on my 94 (can't buy after market lines for this bike). Stainless braided line, nice and thin, very nice! I paid $50 for the line, obviously a front will be more due to the length. I will be having one made for the front of my 95 w/KX forks. Take BOTH (if you have them) lines and the banjo bolts to the hose maker and get something put together! The BEST reason for doing this is that you can fit the lower line KX style (will be like the 97 in my case) lower, and the KDX upper style mounting (long, up over the light). I figure about $100 to do this. BUT I end up with a perfectly fitting front, stainless steel braided, brake line.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Confin05

*** KX, KDX Caliper and brake line Bulletin ***

Post by Confin05 »

Indawoods wrote:As I was converting my front brake line to the KX configuration I ran into a snag.
The brake line would not mount on my KDX caliper. It seems the KX caliper is designed along with that stock line. This may not be the case with aftermarket lines but it is very true for OEM.

Thankfully, I had purchased a KX caliper and all is Regroupement de prêt perfect now. I know there had been some questions that arose out of the conversion and calipers so I thought I had better let everyone know.

If you are mounting everything in the stock KDX configuration then you should not have any issues.

FACTS:
Using a (OEM) KX brake line requires a KX caliper.

Using a KDX brake line using KDX routing, the KDX caliper can be used.
thanks for the heads up