What would you do?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Kevbot

What would you do?

Post by Kevbot »

I have a set of 95 KLX250r forks and triple sitting in my garage but haven't put on the KDX yet because the springs are to soft. Racetech no longer stocks the springs I would need, but they said they can get something to work but will require them cutting a different spring bringing my total to $250ish for new springs... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or do I just get a set of 90-95 kx125 and kx250 that are 43USD to fit in the KLX triple and rebuild? Which will be about the same cost as getting the correct springs for the KLX, KX springs stock should be close for my weight based on what I have read.

Or start over and get newer style KX forks?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What would you do?

Post by SS109 »

Out of your first two options I would go with the KX forks since that will give you both rebound and compression adjustments.

That said, I wouldn't even think of putting old style, or those with limited adjustment, on my KDX. I would look for something newer but that's me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I’ve got a whole setup of a 95 KX125 if you want. Clamps, machined spacer, everything. Freshly rebuilt too.

I don’t think you’re able to just drop any old 43’s into KLX clamps, KYB changed outer tube profiles a lot in those years, not to mention the spacing for the front wheel will probably be off.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your weight in full riding gear?

What is your skill level, racing or just riding around?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

I'm 165-170lbs, I am a medicore rider I do not do anything out of my skill or race. Ride in wyoming and montana on some pretty slow technical trails, rocks and ruts. I don't think I need anything amazing for the suspension, the stock KDX forks have been working fine, just want to get ride of the lower hang and stiffen.
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Since I am not a racer I think I will probably just rebuild the KLX forks I have and see if I can find some used springs or another company first before going to RT.

If I see a good deal on some KX's I will grab them for way down the road.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

i haven't done a klx fork conversion myself but how do you know they are too soft? kdx is 40kg lighter than a klx seems like they would be more on the stiff side
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My KLX300R is not even 90 pounds (88lbs = 40 kg) heavier than my KDX , can't see a KLX250R being that much heavier
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

kdxdazz wrote: 03:07 pm Sep 18 2023 i haven't done a klx fork conversion myself but how do you know they are too soft? kdx is 40kg lighter than a klx seems like they would be more on the stiff side
Because, the 250 was only available as a dual sport. The springs and Valving are way too soft, even for a brisk trip down a gravel road. On the KDX you’ll be deep into the stroke just by the time you sit on the bike.
'00 KDX 220R
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

my apologies, 25kg heavier, i was thinking of my drz400 which is 145kg
klx250 forks base valve looks almost identical to kdx fork base valve so wouldn't have thought they would be that much softer given the weight difference but i guess there are other factors
according to racetech calculator the stock fork springs are whats recommended for the OP rider weight minus difference in bike weight
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

In the USA, the KLX250R was pretty much the same as the later KLX300R, just a smaller engine and related parts.

Does Cannon Racecraft still make custom springs? A buddy switched to KLX300R forks and got them to make him some .42's.

I think the stock springs are 0.37 or 0.38. They would at least be a little closer than the stock KDX200 /KDX220R spring rate.

The 1991 - 1992 KX125 / KX250 fork springs are a bit longer than the KLX300R springs, but can be cut down. Also, the 1993 - 1995 KX125 / KX250 springs are a little bit longer and can be cut down. I have cut a set down before for KDX250 use. Cutting a spring makes it a little stiffer. The optional stiffer springs are apparently still available, but they won't be the correct rate, based on modern spring rate theory. A Yamaha YZ250X comes with 0.44 rate. A 25?? pound heavier bike usually requires around 0.02 stiffer springs, so keep that in mind when rate shopping.

If this is going on a 1995+ KDX, then be aware that they will lightly hit the tank on full turn of the handlebars.

Look on eBay for springs that will work.
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

I reached out to cannon and moto pro, I am getting some information to Cannon but Motopro quoted me $170 for .40 springs so that is a lot better than the $250 from RT.
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Cannon got back to me and said it would be about $150 shipped. Part number is 39462 from Cannon if someone else needs it, multiple spring weights as well.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, cool. That is not too bad, really.
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Slick_Nick wrote: 11:39 am Sep 15 2023 I’ve got a whole setup of a 95 KX125 if you want. Clamps, machined spacer, everything. Freshly rebuilt too.

I don’t think you’re able to just drop any old 43’s into KLX clamps, KYB changed outer tube profiles a lot in those years, not to mention the spacing for the front wheel will probably be off.
Hey Slick Nick didn't even notice this post, if you still have those forks how much are you asking?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Kevbot wrote: 05:28 pm Feb 06 2024
Slick_Nick wrote: 11:39 am Sep 15 2023 I’ve got a whole setup of a 95 KX125 if you want. Clamps, machined spacer, everything. Freshly rebuilt too.

Hey Slick Nick didn't even notice this post, if you still have those forks how much are you asking?
I've still got them, just cover shipping and give me a little something to cover my time and you can have them.
'00 KDX 220R
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

I see you are in CAN, wonder what shipping would like like to 58102. I know when we ship stuff to CAN for work it tends to be quite expensive.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Probably isn't cheap, you're right. They're bulky and heavy.
'00 KDX 220R