2014 kdx 450 front end swap on E series?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Cskarke

2014 kdx 450 front end swap on E series?

Post by Cskarke »

Title says it all, sorry if its been asked 1,000 time before. Trust me, I tried to find the answer on more than 1 platform and can't find a clear answer on anything other than 90's kx front end swaps. But I have a potential parts bike in the works. As title says, it's a 2014 kx450. Will my kdx stem press into the kxf clamp? Need to knurl? Need spacers? My recently acquired 89 is getting a face lift. Cylinder and crank just got back from Eric Gorr and I'd love to have a lil more modern technology between me and the rocks! Plus those inverted bronze forks look so nice on E series. Oh, and while I've got your ear, any other parts from the kx fit on the kdx? Rear shock possibly? I don't have it in my possession yet or else I'd just try it.
Snapchat-1545164603.jpg
Snapchat-1545164603.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3780 times
Screenshot_20210311-144104_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210311-144104_Facebook.jpg (620.98 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2014 kdx 450 front end swap on E series?

Post by KDXGarage »

Cskarke wrote: 03:46 pm Mar 11 2021 Title says it all, sorry if its been asked 1,000 time before. Trust me, I tried to find the answer on more than 1 platform and can't find a clear answer on anything other than 90's kx front end swaps. But I have a potential parts bike in the works. As title says, it's a 2014 kx450. Will my kdx stem press into the kxf clamp? Need to knurl? Need spacers? My recently acquired 89 is getting a face lift. Cylinder and crank just got back from Eric Gorr and I'd love to have a lil more modern technology between me and the rocks! Plus those inverted bronze forks look so nice on E series. Oh, and while I've got your ear, any other parts from the kx fit on the kdx? Rear shock possibly? I don't have it in my possession yet or else I'd just try it.
Welcome to kdxrider.net

The answer to your specific questions are pretty much the same as someone looking to swap in 2004 or 1994 KX forks.

"Will my kdx stem press into the kxf clamp?"
Nope. It will slide in and fall right back out.

"Need to knurl?"
Yep.

"Need spacers?"
Yep, inside the upper clamp, about 0.025" shim stock will work.

You will also want to examine the area where the lower bearing goes. If you can get that cut down on a lathe, that would be great. The portion that goes through the lower KDX clamp sticks up when a shorter KX clamp is put on it.

Also, look at where the rear upper clamp bolts swing toward the front, upper portion of the fuel tank. Now imagine a MUCH larger sized clamp in that area. WHACK!! If you don't modify the steering stem stops to keep the handlebars from turning their natural amount, the backs of the upper triple clamps (and bolts??) will whack the tank.

The shock is probably way too big to fit in the area of a KDX. It's a 50 mm body with a corresponding wider spring. I think it would hit the airbox or airbox boot at some point in the travel when it compresses.

You would need the KX front brake system and front wheel.

On an "E", it is almost always a front end swap, not a front fork swap.

I have an aftermarket upper clamp on my 1994. It hit the tank until I filed it down a smidge. That is with 41 mm inner tubes. You are talking about 48 mm inner tubes with their 54 mm or so upper tubes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Cskarke

Post by Cskarke »

@KDXGarage Appreciate the response. And again, sorry for the redundant question. I hate to be "that guy" but you answered my question more clearly than I could have on my own. Sounds like 48mm tubes might be a bit large and require more work than I'm willing/able to do to get the job done right. I didn't realize the clearance with the tank was so close! I think Ill keep scanning for a slightly older kx with smaller tubes to make the swap. Any recommendations on what year Kx I should hunt for and what to stay away from in order to make the swap as painless as possible for an "E"?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The E series forks can be made to work quite well when sprung correctly and revalved. Springs should be one of the first things you do anyways, front and rear, to get the most out of the bike. Definitely a lot cheaper than a front end swap, and less work. If you really want USDs you could look for a set of KLX300 forks, or early 90s KX125 (the base for the KDX).
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The easiest swap is a complete KX500 front end as it just bolts on but good luck finding one. I've heard some others are direct bolt-ons (KLX300) but if you're going to go through all the trouble you might as well get good forks that have compression and rebound control.

As for what I did, I swapped a '96 KX125 (KYB 46's) front end on my '90. You can follow the link in my sig to see the forks on the bike. Without modifying the fork stops they would kiss the tank. Not super hard but definitely solid contact. It didn't take much to fix that and I loved that setup.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cskarke wrote: 07:45 pm Mar 11 2021 @KDXGarage Appreciate the response. And again, sorry for the redundant question. I hate to be "that guy" but you answered my question more clearly than I could have on my own. Sounds like 48mm tubes might be a bit large and require more work than I'm willing/able to do to get the job done right. I didn't realize the clearance with the tank was so close! I think Ill keep scanning for a slightly older kx with smaller tubes to make the swap. Any recommendations on what year Kx I should hunt for and what to stay away from in order to make the swap as painless as possible for an "E"?
Oh no. It is not redundant. I was just saying that within each thread about a conversion, there is some info that applies to all swaps.

The tank was made with the stock forks in mind, so there is not a ton of clearance for what the future held as far as fork size.

I don't think a 1989 - 1994 or a 2005+ has enough room for a set of forks with 48 mm inner tubes. The tubes and clamps take up a lot of room.

For example, 2000 KX250 forks are 55 mm outer diameter tubes I once read, plus the much larger clamp.

KX 46 mm inner tube forks stopped at 2001. 2002 and newer are 48 mm. Look through some older threads and see what amount of clearance issues people were having with the 1996 - 2001 forks. KX500 forks from 1997 - 2004 are basically 1996 KX125 / KX250 forks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128