Kdx fork swap adjustments

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Adampino

Kdx fork swap adjustments

Post by Adampino »

Hello to all, I’m new to this forum and new to being a kdx owner.
I have some serious questions regarding the fork swap that I’m considering to endeavor. Before I jump in head first into a swap that I’m not ready for I was looking for some info and insight. Now like others I’m looking to change out those old ribbed boots and upgrade those forks as well. I’m considering doing the klx300 bolt in swap but I’ve read a lot about restringing them if your heavier than 140. So I guess my first question would be can I get the upper and lower triple and then throw some kx250 forks in there with little to no mods or do I need some bushings to make those forks fit in that triple? First question of many.
Thanks 🤘
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx fork swap adjustments

Post by SS109 »

KX250 forks do not fit the KLX300 triple clamps. If they did, plenty of people would have gone that route instead of using the KX250 clamps as it would have been less work and cheaper.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Adampino

Post by Adampino »

Ok thank you, I just found a klx650 fork and triple. Would that be a good swap? I weight about 160
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1991 - 1995 KX125 / 1991 - 1995 KX250 / 1991 - 1996 KX500 forks fit in the same clamps as KLX300R, KLX250 (mid 90's), KLX650.

Which KLX650, the off-road or dual-purpose?

160 in full gear or do you ride nekkid??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I believe a large part of your decision making should be based on WHY are you swapping Forks. If it is just to get the more modern look, go the easiest route you can. In my case, I was trying to build the most competitive enduro bike I could, with an occasional HS thrown in WITHOUT going to a full blown hybrid build. I choose '01 KX250 Forks. Shop a while and you'll find a suitable deal. In keeping with the goal of making the suspension as good as possible, I took them to a suspension shop with experience in this conversion right away, before ever mounting them on the bike. I believe the outcome exceeded my expectations in every way. It was not the cheapest way. But I was more interested in results.

This may not be the way you prefer to go, again depending on your goals. One thing to keep in mind, unless you are very fast, the stock forks properly sprung and set up, with the shim mod (which you can find in these forums) is actually a pretty good set up for trail riding, even aggressive trail riding.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Adampino wrote: 07:20 pm Mar 26 2020 Ok thank you, I just found a klx650 fork and triple. Would that be a good swap? I weight about 160
So I weigh about 178-180 in underwear and in riding gear I weigh 210ish. Spring for your riding weight man.

I did the KLX300 swap and dig what I have and have a lot of money in those forks with the gold valving,special order springs cause you can't really find springs that are not special order ,at least I could not. Then all the new internals,etc. MUCH improvement over the old conventional forks. I actually race my KDX,for what that is worth,and if I had to do it over I'd lean more towards the KX 250 or similar swap because of the additional settings. They have compression and rebound settings,KLX300 do not.

Revalve your shock too while you are spending money. Match it all up.

What doakly said too. His setup ( and his posts-THANK YOU SIR) made me rethink mine.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:27 pm Mar 26 2020 1991 - 1995 KX125 / 1991 - 1995 KX250 / 1991 - 1996 KX500 forks fit in the same clamps as KLX300R, KLX250 (mid 90's), KLX650.

160 in full gear or do you ride nekkid??
HAHA ! I posted before I saw this post. Riding weight matters. Alien lives matter.( I saw a tshirt with that on it once and just thought I'd type it)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:27 pm Mar 26 2020 1991 - 1995 KX125 / 1991 - 1995 KX250 / 1991 - 1996 KX500 forks fit in the same clamps as KLX300R, KLX250 (mid 90's), KLX650.
:doh: Ok, I admit I didn't consider the older KX forks. I wouldn't imagine anyone using them so I didn't consider them.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

I need to clarify my post. My KLX fork conversion,off of a 2001 or 2002 KLX300, does a fine job but I need to play with the shims some to lessen some of the hits under speed. It was a painless conversion. EVERYTHING matches up and I used the brake off of the KLX. It is that smooth and easy.

I've gone through 3(may have been 4) different sets of fork springs arriving at what I now use and these are from Cannon Racecraft,about the only place I found that sells and/or makes springs for older bikes and they offer a wide range for bikes. Racetech won't carry them probably,at least not for my ride weight. I didn't want to waste time waiting for a used set on ebay and take chances. Besides,the guy at Cannon Racecraft spent a long while making sure I got what i wanted over the phone and actually races as well. I appreciate the time he spent on me for <$200 shipped. Hold on,I'll look. I have an inch or more thick file on KDX200 parts/work/etc. $173.95 shipped in April 2019.

So with all that being said, if you can set up a pair from a KLX300,do it but please do it properly and revalve while you have them apart. Then match the shock up. I'll never be as capable as these KLX forks are properly set up, mine are very close, I just want all that adjustment,for reasons unknown, that KX forks offer.

Good luck and keep us posted-