Kdx to Klx front end conversion question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kdxdriver

Kdx to Klx front end conversion question

Post by kdxdriver »

Hey guys..I'm stepping into the world of fork/front end conversion for my 2006 kdx200. So...from what i have read, the klx300 seems like a pretty straightforward swap. My question is this, I can get a 2007 klx300r upper and lower with stem at a decent price. Does it matter what klx the KYB 43U Cartridge forks come off of as far as attaching to the upper and lowers? I have seen some forks such as a 1994 klx250 and 1996 klx 650 forks for sale for a good price. Would these bolt up as easily as say a 2004 klx300r? Or is there something I am missing such as brake caliper attachments, overall length of forks, diameter of slider, more adjustability on some years, etc. Looking at the microfiche it seems like the front axle is different on the klx vs the kdx, so i will keep and eye out for a front wheel to fit the forks I end up getting.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Jim
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Kdx to Klx front end conversion question

Post by Slick_Nick »

They’re all the same. The KLX 250 has softer springs and valving for the street.
'00 KDX 220R
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Thanks for the info! I am going to give it a whirl and let you all know how it goes
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Slick_Nick, I don't think the 2006+ KLX250 forks are the same. He is talking about 1994.

OP, if the condition is the same, go with the one that came with stock springs closer to your weight.

Someone correct me, but I think the 1995+ KDX wheel will work with the KLX forks.

Th brake cable mounting is not the same, but can be worked around.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Thanks for the info KDXgarage. I was just wondering if there was a specific year range in the klx's that I should look for, klxr vs klxs , looking at allballsracing's website and trying to puzzle it all out. Thank you both for your replies. I have a 2007 klx300r upper and lower with stem and I see a set of 1994 klx250r forks that look promising. I was just wondering if they would go together. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I do have a manual, a forum and youtube. Thanks again. I am having so much fun riding that bike I can't remember why I ever stopped...but I'm glad to be back again on a dirt bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think those clamps and tubes will work together.
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Thanks for your reply kdxgarage
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Would a 1991 and up kdx250 forks and/or triple clamp also be an option for a 2006 kdx200? I was looking at the race tech site and it seems like they are the same kyb 43u forks as on the klx models.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxdriver wrote: 01:40 pm Mar 21 2020 Would a 1991 and up kdx250 forks and/or triple clamp also be an option for a 2006 kdx200? I was looking at the race tech site and it seems like they are the same kyb 43u forks as on the klx models.
1991 - 1994 KDX250 forks are very similar to KLX250 ( mid 90's) / KLX650 / KLX300R forks.

Do you want blue tubes or bronze/copper/silver combo (whatever shade they are)? :grin:
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Lol..too bad they aren't in a nice green shade. I was just curious if they would work. Thanks for your response!
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Well..racetech site says springs unavailable for 1991 kdx250. Another brilliant idea shot down by reality. Btw kdxgarage, I read one of your earlier posts about fork swap and you mentioned travel... I had not even thought about that. You saved me some money with that line. thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your weight in full riding gear?

You're welcome if any of this helps you.
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

200lb. I just don't know enough about forks to know if the klx300 springs would fit inside a 1991 kdx250. I know they both say KYB 43U Cartridge but I have no idea how interchangeable the internal components are. In my world a kyb43u should be the same regardless of year and application. If they aren't interchangeable then they should have a different designation. However, I have seen many instances where reality and my world didn't really coincide.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxdriver wrote: 11:32 am Mar 22 2020 200lb.
Check on the KLX650 / KLX650R forks. I think one of them is 0.41 kg / mm rate springs in stock form. If you can buy some forks that come with the correct spring rate, then you don't need to worry about buying springs and whether they are available or not.
kdxdriver wrote: 11:32 am Mar 22 2020I just don't know enough about forks to know if the klx300 springs would fit inside a 1991 kdx250.
The OD and ID is the same, but the length is quite different. I think it is around 34 mm?? I forget. I know the internal distance of a KDX250 forks is 490 mm, as I measured it. One could buy the KX aftermarket spring of 486 or 487 mm, then add a couple of washers and be fine. Eibach KDX250 fork springs were 500 mm long, giving 10 mm of preload.
kdxdriver wrote: 11:32 am Mar 22 2020 I know they both say KYB 43U Cartridge but I have no idea how interchangeable the internal components are. In my world a kyb43u should be the same regardless of year and application. If they aren't interchangeable then they should have a different designation. However, I have seen many instances where reality and my world didn't really coincide.
Where are you seeing kyb43u? They are all a little or a lot different inside. Just because they are made by KYB, USD and have 43 mm inner tubes does not mean much about what else is inside. A KX, CR, RM or YZ KYB 43 mm USD fork is going to be a good bit more advanced than a KDX / KLX fork. A "trail bike" is not going to come with the same level of components as a high-performance, high maintenance MX bike.
kdxdriver

Post by kdxdriver »

Thanks for the idea about the KLX650 setup. As for the KYB43U, I am getting that nomenclature from the racetech website. Thanks for the explanation about the internal components on the fork and the quality of those components. That makes sense
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, I thought that might have been it. That is just a quick term from them, I think. Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc. get KYB, Showa, etc. to make forks to their specification and budget.

Look up the cost of a set of 1995+ forks vs. the price of 1994 KDX200 forks, and you will quickly see why there are conventional forks on a 1995+ KDX. :mrgreen: