Why Convert Front End?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kdxdazz

Re: Why Convert Front End?

Post by kdxdazz »

Please post your results when finished, I'm looking at doing the swap too but still wondering if it's worth the effort given most of what I do is slow/technical
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

About the single most covered topic in the forums and easier to do than most people think. Here’s a consideration: If you’re faced with buying new springs for your weight you might consider putting the money for replacement springs into KX forks instead. Not an even swap but better in the long run, at least to me.
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

doakley wrote: 11:41 pm Jan 26 2020 About the single most covered topic in the forums and easier to do than most people think. Here’s a consideration: If you’re faced with buying new springs for your weight you might consider putting the money for replacement springs into KX forks instead. Not an even swap but better in the long run, at least to me.
Makes sense, yesterday I finally got out and ripped at Ram (colorado) local off road park / track, and yes I get it, I jumped a couple times and yes this bike is way to soft for that, I def felt bottoming out, so I didnt even try to go run the track, However I also noticed my strengths and where I mainly ride, slower, not on the pipe singel track, playing on rock obstacles and hoppping up and down boulders, I ended up playing in teh sections where trials guys were, so in that stuff my suspension is soft and great, but yes, I cant go rip the track with this bike, But so far Im ok with that as thats not why I built it...... but If I wanted to be a crossover track rider, I would most certainly need upgrades
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

RAM is a good place close to the Springs to test out the bike. The front track has significantly improved over the past year or so, and the back area is fun to play around on obstacles. That's where my last CORCS race was, and was the deciding factor on upgrading the forks. If I was only doing single track and technical, I would stick with the stock setup.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

bufftester wrote: 09:53 pm Jan 24 2020 Not seal savers, boots, I know lots of folks think they detract from the look, but they do work and help prolong the life of the seals and wipers. Or you could go the route of the 98 RM and run fork guards up top.

I agree with doakley though, you've put together a nice looking bike. Man, if you could find a white rear fender that worked...
I KNOW !!, Im trying to go white and just have my tank and frame green, then accent blue, I like to look diff and make guys on trail have to double look and ask, What is that??? especially in colorado where I get lost in a sea of Orange -husky-beta -land
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

GATOROC wrote: 03:28 pm Jan 27 2020 RAM is a good place close to the Springs to test out the bike. The front track has significantly improved over the past year or so, and the back area is fun to play around on obstacles. That's where my last CORCS race was, and was the deciding factor on upgrading the forks. If I was only doing single track and technical, I would stick with the stock setup.
good point and I agree, this bike Im building for single track hard stuff following my Beta xtrainer freinds who are ALL trials guys by nature and then we rail fast and slow technical single track, most of them are in their 60s and rip way better and faster than me, I love trying to hang and I get better at something each time we ride, so far out of Beta 300, Ktm 300, Honda 250x, and a RMZ450 I am loving this KDX, Im better at riding, its helped me learn clutch control and its very nimble off road, I hope soon KDX can come out with a new elec strat kDX, how cool would that be ??
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

There are some guys that have added electric start to KDXs, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to do. When I was seriously looking at either the Beta or KTM 300s, I was transitioning from MX (CRF450R) and had 3 requirements due to now officially being a "senior" rider - hydraulic clutch, kickstand, and electric start... well, I ended up with the kickstand! :supz:
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I upgraded to the KLX front end. I would say I need a bit stiffer springs, but overall I am really happy with the swap. Are they drastically better than stock, probably not. They certainly are more aesthetically pleasing. If I was to do it again, I'd go with the KX swap, but I was budget conscious and have never worked on suspension before, so there was a bit of an intimidation factor as well. The whole project including removing the old forks, changing fork oil, seals, and bolting everything back together took 2-3 hours and was priceless in terms of what I learned. The KX involves a little more effort, but from everything I've read, it is the way to go, especially if you are a faster rider. Plenty of great information across this forum on all the swaps and even keeping your stock suspension. Good luck and enjoy!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Jakej63

Post by Jakej63 »

New member here, and I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would share my experiences with the old conventional forks for people reading this thread in the future.
As an open A rider my opinion is the function of the fork isnt too bad, especially doing what it was meant for, offroad. Yes they have some flex, but I dont find it an issue, I think what most of the riders who have swapped forks because of flex are talking about twist. (Wheel turns from trail influences and the bars stay straight) This can be fixed with a fork brace.
For me the biggest problem with the forks is the amount of axle under hang. I’ve hit the dirt hard because of snagging the fork “lug” on rocks and tree roots. Even when I dont crash it hurts when the bars get yanked out of my hands. 25 years ago when there were plenty of conventional forks roaming trails, they kept the rocks roots and ruts knocked down, but with fewer and fewer conventionals on the trail the kdx is at a disadvantage here.
Just my .02
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for joining and participating, Jakek63!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Jakej63 wrote: 08:19 am Sep 20 2020 New member here, and I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would share my experiences with the old conventional forks for people reading this thread in the future.
As an open A rider my opinion is the function of the fork isnt too bad, especially doing what it was meant for, offroad. Yes they have some flex, but I dont find it an issue, I think what most of the riders who have swapped forks because of flex are talking about twist. (Wheel turns from trail influences and the bars stay straight) This can be fixed with a fork brace.
For me the biggest problem with the forks is the amount of axle under hang. I’ve hit the dirt hard because of snagging the fork “lug” on rocks and tree roots. Even when I dont crash it hurts when the bars get yanked out of my hands. 25 years ago when there were plenty of conventional forks roaming trails, they kept the rocks roots and ruts knocked down, but with fewer and fewer conventionals on the trail the kdx is at a disadvantage here.
Just my .02
The underhang of the fork lowers is a small price to pay in my opinion. Even on my KTM300EXC I always gave the forks enough berth from obstacles to protect the brake disc and keep from shearing off a foot peg. That bike had a magical motor but I never bonded with it primarily because of the USD forks.
I bought a 1985 XR350R and after a few rides on it I sold the KTM. I still have the XR after 26 years and I also have a couple of KDXs. 87 and 92. To me the suspension package on these bikes is what makes them shine. I can ride faster, longer, more comfortably, and with less fatigue on a conventional fork. Not to mention how well they forgive your mistakes. Add in that they can be easily tuned, sprung, serviced, and repaired and they are hard to beat.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Goofaroo, would love to see what this ‘fork brace’ you speak of looks like. I actually like the traditional look of the conventional forks and the softer feel. I have really good endurance on this bike from mountain bike racing, and the underhang hasn’t been much of an issue so far.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

When I first purchased my 1990 KDX 200, I was surprised how well the forks worked. I set them up for my weight and rode that way for a year.
I converted to KX500 forks, wheel and caliper. Although I think the KX forks are more stable at higher speeds, I think the standard forks are fine for medium speed riding, and maybe superior for technical riding.
I've pointed out in the past that none of Jeff Fredette's bikes had fork conversions.
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I still kick myself for not buying a 2000 KDX 220 with a blown motor that had 1996 Suzuki RM 49mm fork conversion done already when I had the chance.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

rungrandpa wrote: 12:04 am Nov 25 2020... I've pointed out in the past that none of Jeff Fredette's bikes had fork conversions.
Your point about Jeff Fredette running conventionals is well-taken - he could have run USDs but chose not to. Also, Jordan Ashburn races (and podiums!) the KDX in Hard Enduros with only upgraded springs, stock valving. So what's our problem again? I couldn't keep up with either of those guys with $10k Husqy professionally set up just for me.

BTW, I've been searching and can't find a thing about fork braces for the KDX anywhere, KLR's yes. Plus, after looking at those I don't see how you avoid having a mud build-up issue and or conflict with the fender and stanchion covers. Don't see them on Jeff or Jordan's bikes either.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MoonStomper wrote: 08:23 am Nov 25 2020So what's our problem again?
That we're not Fredette or Ashburn! :grin:

The problems with the conventionals is like has been mentioned, flex (twist is flex BTW), underhang, and lack of adjustability. Modern USD forks with both compression and rebound adjustments just make the bike easier to dial in for any given terrain, less chance of the bottom of the fork catching a rock/log and putting you on the ground, and add in almost no flex, you end up with a safer bike overall whether riding slower or faster terrain. Plus, anyone who thinks a modern USD fork can't be tuned to perfection for extreme enduro obviously have never watched Graham Jarvis, Manny Lettenbichler, Johnny Walker, etc. ride their USD fork equipped bikes in the nastiest extreme enduros in the world like Erzberg and Romaniacs. I've ridden on some that are set up so plush you can almost go over an 8" rock without feeling it. It's all in the valving and spring setup.

A fork brace for an off road bike? I have never seen one for the KDX and I couldn't imagine the mud it would accumulate. Add in what the cost would be for such a brace and I'm sure that money would be better spent towards an USD fork conversion.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

The fork conversion is worth it if you ride aggressively and have the money to spend.
If you are a trail rider I would give it some careful thought.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

MoonStomper wrote: 07:20 pm Nov 24 2020 Goofaroo, would love to see what this ‘fork brace’ you speak of looks like. I actually like the traditional look of the conventional forks and the softer feel. I have really good endurance on this bike from mountain bike racing, and the underhang hasn’t been much of an issue so far.
I didn’t say anything about a fork brace. You must have intended that question for someone else.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

rungrandpa wrote: 12:46 am Nov 26 2020 The fork conversion is worth it if you ride aggressively and have the money to spend.
If you are a trail rider I would give it some careful thought.
And yet somehow I’ve been able to charge through the woods with authority on my stock forks.

I’m certainly not always the fastest guy on the trail but I do find myself passing a lot of riders on more modern bikes.

Personally I prefer the stock setup. It’s almost as if the engineers at Kawasaki knew what they were doing. A different set of forks wouldn’t make me any faster but it would detract from the overall feel and handling that I love about these bikes.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Goofaroo wrote: 09:01 am Nov 26 2020
MoonStomper wrote: 07:20 pm Nov 24 2020 Goofaroo, would love to see what this ‘fork brace’ you speak of looks like. I actually like the traditional look of the conventional forks and the softer feel. I have really good endurance on this bike from mountain bike racing, and the underhang hasn’t been much of an issue so far.
I didn’t say anything about a fork brace. You must have intended that question for someone else.
Ooops you are correct - meant for Jakej63?

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA